Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just tried to get a Rolec quote and got this reply:

"Thanks for your email

The Tesla Model 3 is not eligible for the home charging grant scheme yet (OLEV have not approved as yet)

I will be in contact as soon as the car is added to the approval list

In the meantime can you consider the below (workplace grant)?"

Getting a Tesla charger quote on Friday

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
So, I just tried to get a Rolec quote and got this reply:

"Thanks for your email

The Tesla Model 3 is not eligible for the home charging grant scheme yet (OLEV have not approved as yet)

I will be in contact as soon as the car is added to the approval list

In the meantime can you consider the below (workplace grant)?"

Getting a Tesla charger quote on Friday

When are you expecting to get your M3?

The OLEV grant can't be claimed without evidence you actual have the vehicle anyway.

I had the order email and invoice from Tesla for our ROLEC installer but they still need additional documentation once we take delivery of our (CPO used) MS (can't remember off the top of my head what they asked for) but had we had a firm delivery date within the calendar month so they went ahead at their discretion.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost for someone to fit a 7kW charger if all the cabling is in place - i presume any old electrician can do it (they don’t need to be EV charge point qualified) I don’t have off-street and currently rely on a 16A commando socket outside my house. The wiring is rated for 32A so it should just be a simple case of switching the existing unit out.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost for someone to fit a 7kW charger if all the cabling is in place - i presume any old electrician can do it (they don’t need to be EV charge point qualified) I don’t have off-street and currently rely on a 16A commando socket outside my house. The wiring is rated for 32A so it should just be a simple case of switching the existing unit out.

£400-odd for the chargepoint itself plus whatever your electrician charges for a call-out and an hour of labour. Not much in the provinces, but since you are in London.....

Make sure you get a chargepoint that has internal DC leakage detection and so doesn't need an expensive external RCD - current (eg.) Rolec units do, but older ones don't, so make sure you don't get palmed off with old stock that cost a fortune to install legally under new regulations.

In theory you could do it yourself as it's not a "new circuit" therefore no LABC notification required (though switching the breaker for a different size gets you into "is it a new broom when it's had a new handle and two new heads?" territory).

This assumes that the existing circuit is in fact satisfactory for EV charging. Probably you need an earth rod if you don't already have one (that's not a difference between a proper chargepoint vs. a commando socket, but maybe your commando socket wasn't installed with EV charging in mind). Possibly your existing circuit shares an RCD with stuff inside the house (it's not 100% clear-cut that this is prohibited, but certainly frowned upon). Sorting out any of this isn't necessarily expensive, but it all adds up.

My ROLEC was supplied and fitted for just over £500 (they claim the OLEV grant so what I was charged was the final cost). I did add a 13A socket so it would have been £45 cheaper otherwise. The fitting from scratch took four hours so much more than just replacing an existing outlet with an EV box. In effect, the grant paid for the installation, roughly. Whether that's good value is a moot point but it definitely saved me some admin work and the installation was first-rate.

I think where "local sparky" might wind out is if you have a long cable run, and you can run the cable yourself. Maybe an OLEV install would let you run the cable yourself too though ... but there are definitely stories of OLEV installers out there who are charging the punter top-dollar and taking the grant money ...

best bet, as always, is to get a couple of competing quotes :)

Rolec's website's saying £129/£199 inc fitting (after grant). GrantFundedChargingPoints

Is it that they've come out with a new cheaper model since your installations? Or is it that it would be that price for a simple installation, but no installation is simple and there's always a few 100 extra?

Those prices include switching energy supplier too. Fine if you want to, not if you don't.

I had a chat with the (Scottish arm of the) energy saving trust yesterday, they are expecting the model 3 to be added to the olec list in the next week or so. Also, Scottish people will then be able to apply for 0% finance and an additional £300 off a charger installation. If you call them they can email all the right forms etc for these.

Died the olec grant cover the Tesla charger? Is there any reason not to just get that?

Avendit

Reactions: Oddbin
Rolec's website's saying £129/£199 inc fitting (after grant). GrantFundedChargingPoints

Is it that they've come out with a new cheaper model since your installations? Or is it that it would be that price for a simple installation, but no installation is simple and there's always a few 100 extra?

It's a grey area. There was no room left on my consumer unit so an extra box had to be installed next to it.

Died the olec grant cover the Tesla charger? Is there any reason not to just get that?

Can't remember if it is covered for OLEC. Tesla charger has advantages for multiple car charging / load sharing, and ability to handle 3-Phase, but if you don't need those it is relatively expensive and installation likely to be more expensive than others (@arg will kill me again for getting it wrong! but I think Tesla needs an earthing rod)

You might pick one up on eBay from Tesla's (now finished) referral program as that was one of the Gifts. Signed by Elon no less ...

(@arg will kill me again for getting it wrong! but I think Tesla needs an earthing rod)

Earthing rod requirement is no different from other chargepoints (and is cheap anyhow). Expensive thing is a Type-B or Type-EV RCD that the Tesla WC needs for current regulations, but more recent versions of many of the competing units do not.

Tesla unit is NOT on the list for OLEV - up to now it could have been but neither Tesla nor anybody else put it forward. But the OLEV requirements are about to change to require 'smart' charging (chargepoint must have capability to be remote controlled for charging rate), so the Tesla unit won't comply.

OVO energy is doing good deals at the moment and providing a free home smart charger. I'm locked into a tariff so I had to buy mine which was very little after the government grant.

There is a lot of work that goes into installing these.

You can pay OVO £5 more to ensure you only use renewable energy.

My ROLEC box, fitted just two weeks ago and being the latest revised spec. (@arg verified :) ) has never worked properly since we received our 70D last Friday. I'm banking on the company that fitted it being able to sort it out (though, surprise surprise, the after sales support are a lot less responsive than the sales lot :( )

Anyway, can I just ask - those of you who charge using a 32A wall point like the ROLEC, when it's working normally, is charging rock-solid dependable?

If I'm going to get an off-peak electricity deal it's essential for the juice to flow uninterrupted when required. At the moment the charging quite randomly shuts off. Could it be the car that's the problem? How reliable is the Tesla side of the charging setup?

I have a Pod-Point since last year and haven't had any issues with it stopping randomly. Not using it for a Tesla though

Maybe a silly question but have you checked that there isnt a schedule setup in the app that is stopping the charge?

I have a Pod-Point since last year and haven't had any issues with it stopping randomly. Not using it for a Tesla though

Maybe a silly question but have you checked that there isnt a schedule setup in the app that is stopping the charge?

Not a silly question, but no it's not that. The charging sometimes fails to start or starts for a short while and then stops. On one occasion the ROLEC box made a very loud buzzing (so loud we could hear it through the wall). It's only once charged to the target 90% without interruption, but that was only from 60-90% I usually have to remove the plug from the car and re-insert to get things going again.

OVO energy is doing good deals at the moment and providing a free home smart charger. I'm locked into a tariff so I had to buy mine which was very little after the government grant.

There is a lot of work that goes into installing these.

You can pay OVO £5 more to ensure you only use renewable energy.

Still not comptetitve with Octopus or, indeed, my current non-EV optimised tariff and these don't charge extra for guaranteed renewable energy. This could be something to do with my locality favouring different suppliers?

Reactions: NorthEastUk