Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 40amp 240v circuit in my garage that I've used for both a Fusion PHEV and a Sonata PHEV. I understand the Tesla won't be able to utilize the NEMA 6-20 configuration that I currently have. So what are my options? Can this outlet be converted to the Tesla-recommended NEMA 14-50 configuration?

Tesla has a plug adapter, but that brings me down to an absurdly slow charge of 5mph.

Install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Run #6 or larger THHN wire in conduit. Then Buy the tesla charger later. it lets you set the internals up to for whatever charge rate your circuiting requires. I For example. i put in a 50A breaker for a NEMA 14-50 (40A load)for now, but will upgrade to their charger later and up the amps to the highest that my wire can handle. Upgrade breaker for whatever wire your wire requires. #6 THHN wire can handle up to 55A at 60 degrees c rating. Higher if your breaker has 75 degree terminals. Obviously consult your local code office or have an electrician do the work if you dont know much about this.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz and Ken7
I currently have a 40amp 240v circuit in my garage that I've used for both a Fusion PHEV and a Sonata PHEV. I understand the Tesla won't be able to utilize the NEMA 6-20 configuration that I currently have. So what are my options? Can this outlet be converted to the Tesla-recommended NEMA 14-50 configuration?

Tesla has a plug adapter, but that brings me down to an absurdly slow charge of 5mph.
what is your 40A 240V receptacle? the 6-20 is a 110V outlet (essentially one step up from a standard 5-15 110V outlet).

Here's my current 240v charger and outlet. It's definitely a 240v outlet. I thought it was a NEMA 6-20, but maybe I'm wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 66
Googled that charger and it says you can use that with a Tesla S/X with the J1772 adapter. Assume the same would be true with the Model 3.

Should be around 12 mi/hr if my calculation is correct.
240v*20a*80% load / 350w/mi = 11.9 mi/hr
240v*20a*80% load / 300w/mi = 12.8 mi/hr

Not sure if 300 or 350 or some other number is a good estimate for the Model 3 or not. I think people have been estimating it to be lower than that.

• Love
Reactions: Ken7
Googled that charger and it says you can use that with a Tesla S/X with the J1772 adapter. Assume the same would be true with the Model 3.

Should be around 12 mi/hr if my calculation is correct.
240v*20a*80% load / 350w/mi = 11.9 mi/hr
240v*20a*80% load / 300w/mi = 12.8 mi/hr

Not sure if 300 or 350 or some other number is a good estimate for the Model 3 or not. I think people have been estimating it to be lower than that.

JRD1, thanks much!! That's great info. Short term I can probably live with that.

Yup, that adapter does fit, but the charging rate is beyond slow, something like 5mph. I'm not sure what my current charger draws, but it does charge about 3X as fast as the 120v charger.
What 120V charger? That's an adapter for the UMC at 240V 15A, which means 12A continuous.

Here's a good chart for reference for 'straight NEMA', which is what we use (as opposed to twistlock): Chart

We have a 14-50 outlet for our 2014 85 S. Southern CA Edison gives us a reduced rate from from 10pm-8am. We get about 210 volts at 26 miles/hour. We usually start plug in at 70 miles and finish at 210 or 140 miles total, or a little less than 5.5 hours on average. It usually lasts us 3 days between recharges. I am also getting a 3. My plan is to keep the 14-50 as is and buy a 24' mobile connector and use it to charge both cars. It may be slightly inconvenient on occasions but should, I think, be workable. If it is a problem we can go to lunch once in a while in the S next to a super charger. We haven't used a Super charger within 50 miles in over a year. I see this option as only a fall back if necessary. Reactions please?

Last edited:
We have a 14-50 outlet for our 2014 85 S. Southern CA Edison gives us a reduced rate from from 10pm-8am. We get about 210 volts at 26 miles/hour. We usually start plug in at 70 miles and finish at 210 or 140 miles total, or a little less than 5.5 hours on average. It usually lasts us 3 days between recharges. I am also getting a 3. My plan is to keep the 14-50 as is and buy a 24' mobile connector and use it to charge both cars. It may be slightly inconvenient on occasions but should, I think, be workable. If it is a problem we can go to lunch once in a while in the S next to a super charger. We haven't used a Super charger within 50 miles in over a year. I see this option as only a fall back if necessary. Reactions please?
What do you use now? The UMC that came with the S? Because the 3 will come with another one, of course. It's a good idea to have dedicated hardware for the home, so you don't need to put in in the car(s) when you need to for a trip or special occasions out of town.

Your least expensive answer that leaves the cars' equipment in the cars for emergency use would be to get a UMC (and there is a special 14-50 model on the Tesla website) just for the garage. There are a lot of other possibilities, with HPWCs, of course, but they all depend on how much recharging you need to do, what chargers the car(s) have, etc.

My first reaction is "why are you only getting 210 volts on a 240 volt circuit?" To me that indicates an overloaded drop coming into the main breaker, some other load on the circuit, or inadequate wiring.

If it's the last one, update your fire insurance soon.

You seem committed to plug-in vehicles. If you are paying an electrician to pull new wire, I suggest a heavy enough gauge to support a future 100 amp circuit. I'm assuming your main breaker panel is not in the garage. If the main panel is convenient there is little reason to future proof. Just install what you need for the new car.

Remember the 20% derating rule too. You need a 50 amp circuit if you intend to charge at 40 amps.

What do you use now? The UMC that came with the S? Because the 3 will come with another one, of course. It's a good idea to have dedicated hardware for the home, so you don't need to put in in the car(s) when you need to for a trip or special occasions out of town.

Your least expensive answer that leaves the cars' equipment in the cars for emergency use would be to get a UMC (and there is a special 14-50 model on the Tesla website) just for the garage. There are a lot of other possibilities, with HPWCs, of course, but they all depend on how much recharging you need to do, what chargers the car(s) have, etc.

Thank you for your input. We currently use the mobile connector that came with the S. We need the new 24' to charge both cars in the garage and eliminate the need to plug/unplug the short one and keep from having to constantly clean the cord prior to replacing back in the car. Our thinking is, the longer HPCW would cost us to install it and not give us added benefit.

My first reaction is "why are you only getting 210 volts on a 240 volt circuit?" To me that indicates an overloaded drop coming into the main breaker, some other load on the circuit, or inadequate wiring.

If it's the last one, update your fire insurance soon.

There are no other outlets on this circuit. The wiring is correct. It just what the electric company pumps out at night in our area. Not sure about your overload comment. This is late a night with very little load on the panel. Thanks for input.

There are no other outlets on this circuit. The wiring is correct. It just what the electric company pumps out at night in our area. Not sure about your overload comment. This is late a night with very little load on the panel. Thanks for input.

Ok, the utility is in violation of the power range limitations, then. If you have not made them aware of this, you need to. 12.5% from nominal is horrible. Actually, over 5% is horrible. I don't have a word for 12.5%.

You seem committed to plug-in vehicles. If you are paying an electrician to pull new wire, I suggest a heavy enough gauge to support a future 100 amp circuit. I'm assuming your main breaker panel is not in the garage. If the main panel is convenient there is little reason to future proof. Just install what you need for the new car.

Remember the 20% derating rule too. You need a 50 amp circuit if you intend to charge at 40 amps.

Yup, I love driving electrics or at least PHEVs in the electric mode. The panel is in the basement (new condo) and you're probably right about 'future-proofing' as much as I can.