Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging over long distance? 30 - 40 feet at least

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on the second story in a 2 story condominium. My indoor garage is attached to my house, and my circuit breaker is in the garage, but I don't want to pay an electrician to install a plug downstairs (I'd have to involve HOA, i'm possibly moving soon, etc).

I do have a dedicated closet upstairs with the washer and dryer - it looks like my dryer uses a 10-30 outlet, which should give my upcoming model 3 about 20 miles per hour correct?

My utility closet is about 30 feet away from the garage. I was wondering how you all would go about using this setup?

TLDR:
I have a 10-30 outlet upstairs, and an attached garage downstairs. I was planning on getting a 10-30 splitter (one for dryer, one for tesla charger), a 10-30 to 14-50 converter cable, then an extended 14-50 to carry the way to the Tesla downstairs. I'm trying to figure out the easiest, most price efficient way to get my 10-30 outlet to charge my new upcoming Tesla. Distance is about 30 feet.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT:
I'm so sorry, mods please delete. I didn't notice Tesla makes a 10-30 adapter. I could just get a 30 - 40 foot long 10-30 extension then call it a day.

Unless there's something I need to know about using an extension cable?

Not recommended as you will be bypassing the temperature sensor built into each Tesla NEMA adapter.
There is that; but as long as you get a quality extension, and check the temperature of the plug an hour or two after you start charging once or twice, you should be fine. I'm using a 15 foot 14-50 extension, and it's been working fine for me for three+ years now.

I’ll probably get blasted here but here we go anyway. We have a vacation condo and I had a Nema 14-50 (industrial grade) installed. I then bought two of the heaviest duty cords I could. I have to run 75 feet to our cars from the outlet (installed by a licensed/insured/bonded Electrician). I then dialed down the amps to 30. This allows me to charge our Y or our S at a rate of 26 MPH when we are visiting. Whatever you do, don’t go cheap on any of the parts (wires, plugs, cords). This is not a Christmas Snowman you‘re powering. In fact, maybe change out the existing plug for something commercial/industrial like a hubbell. You get what you pay for and these $7 home depot outlets (versus $100) have caused a few near misses on this forum and with some friends of mine. i believe there is a safe way to do it right and that’s what I did with our setup. Here’s the cords I bought. Camco Power Grip Heavy-duty Extension Cord, 30 ft. 50 Amp

Thanks all. I was looking into getting something similar to this:

then the 10-30 adapter from Tesla themselves

Curious as to why i'd want to watch the temperatures? Does the car have an automatic setting in which is can determine what should be the best power usage for the outlet used? Or is that part of the temp check?

I live on the second story in a 2 story condominium. My indoor garage is attached to my house, and my circuit breaker is in the garage, but I don't want to pay an electrician to install a plug downstairs (I'd have to involve HOA, i'm possibly moving soon, etc).

I do have a dedicated closet upstairs with the washer and dryer - it looks like my dryer uses a 10-30 outlet, which should give my upcoming model 3 about 20 miles per hour correct?

My utility closet is about 30 feet away from the garage. I was wondering how you all would go about using this setup?

TLDR:
I have a 10-30 outlet upstairs, and an attached garage downstairs. I was planning on getting a 10-30 splitter (one for dryer, one for tesla charger), a 10-30 to 14-50 converter cable, then an extended 14-50 to carry the way to the Tesla downstairs. I'm trying to figure out the easiest, most price efficient way to get my 10-30 outlet to charge my new upcoming Tesla. Distance is about 30 feet.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT:
I'm so sorry, mods please delete. I didn't notice Tesla makes a 10-30 adapter. I could just get a 30 - 40 foot long 10-30 extension then call it a day.

Unless there's something I need to know about using an extension cable?
I'm using an extension from the 14-50 plug to the end point where I plug in the mobile connector for 2 years now. Its a heavy duty extension cord. Its fine for up to 50amp but I'm charging most times at 20amp (daily driving overnight charging), sometimes 32amps when I need a quick charge with limited time. Works wonders for years now.

If the breaker box is in the garage, it might be inexpensive to put in an outlet.

depending on how much you drive, a 6-20 for your welder you are just learning to use (hide the Tesla) might be very cheap.

but if the box has the capacity, a 14-50 shouldn’t be much more. Except for the Tesla tax.

If the breaker box is in the garage, it might be inexpensive to put in an outlet.

depending on how much you drive, a 6-20 for your welder you are just learning to use (hide the Tesla) might be very cheap.

but if the box has the capacity, a 14-50 shouldn’t be much more. Except for the Tesla tax.

My only concern would be price. HOA themselves charge 100 something for just the application, when I can get an extension for that much.

The Tesla mobile connector monitors the temperature at the plug in case the outlet overheats - read the comments here:
By plugging in an extension cord, you eliminate the ability of the car to slow down or stop charging if this happens. By checking the temperature of the plug every now and then, you'll be able to tell if something is getting too hot. 99.9% of people will never have an issue; but it has certainly occurred.

Also, you might consider the Camco extension:
I have the 14-50 version, and it's a beast. Definitely a quality product, and cheaper than the one you linked.

The Tesla mobile connector monitors the temperature at the plug in case the outlet overheats - read the comments here:
By plugging in an extension cord, you eliminate the ability of the car to slow down or stop charging if this happens. By checking the temperature of the plug every now and then, you'll be able to tell if something is getting too hot. 99.9% of people will never have an issue; but it has certainly occurred.

Scary.. Tesla doesn't offer anything for over 20 foot extensions?

I have my 14-50 plug in the garage however I want the plug mobile connector to be next to the charge port of the car. So I run the extension up around the garage door. Not the prettiest site but it works.

Doesn't need to be pretty right haha so long as the cables don't burn and a fire doesn't start.

Also, you might consider the Camco extension:
I have the 14-50 version, and it's a beast. Definitely a quality product, and cheaper than the one you linked.

Thanks! That's not what my outlet looks like though. the top prong makes an L shape.

1625097953048.png

Thanks! That's not what my outlet looks like though. the top prong makes an L shape.
Ooops, my fault. I linked to a TT-30 (which is a 120V outlet) rather than a 10-30 (which is a 240V outlet).

Ideally, you'd use the 10-30 to 10-30/14-30 version of the splitter
Amazon.com: Parkworld 886610 Dryer Splitter, NEMA 14-30 Male Plug to 14-30 & 10-30 Female Receptacle, Dryer 4-Prong 30 AMP Y Adapter Cord: Electronics
in order to get a safety ground on the extension cord, and then a 14-30 extension cord and Mobile Connector adapter, but that'll cost a bit more and would require finding a good ground somewhere around your 10-30 outlet.

Scary.. Tesla doesn't offer anything for over 20 foot extensions?

Doesn't need to be pretty right haha so long as the cables don't burn and a fire doesn't start.

Just use as low of a current as you need and you should be fine. I've also but using an extension cord at times but only pull ~10A. That's still ~8 miles/hr. Plenty for daily use.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
Ooops, my fault. I linked to a TT-30 (which is a 120V outlet) rather than a 10-30 (which is a 240V outlet).

Ideally, you'd use the 10-30 to 10-30/14-30 version of the splitter
Amazon.com: Parkworld 886610 Dryer Splitter, NEMA 14-30 Male Plug to 14-30 & 10-30 Female Receptacle, Dryer 4-Prong 30 AMP Y Adapter Cord: Electronics
in order to get a safety ground on the extension cord, and then a 14-30 extension cord and Mobile Connector adapter, but that'll cost a bit more and would require finding a good ground somewhere around your 10-30 outlet.

Would it make a big difference? If I used a splitter where one end is still 10-30 (dryer), and the other is a 14-50 (for Tesla)? Other than the ground, the amps would have to stay well below 30 anyway correct?

I found one but here's no reviews on it