Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging question with no way to install charger currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post here, please be gentle :)

I currently live in garden apartments (separate buildings without dedicated parking or charging setups). While I will be planning primarily charging at work with a backup of multiple superchargers within 10-20 miles, I would like to have a backup-backup for home 'emergency' charging (at least until/if I can get management to install dedicated charging stations). After reviewing several places here and elsewhere online, it seems the recommendation would be to get a 10-gauge extension cord if I'm going to be using a 'normal' 3 prong grounded outlet (as 12/14 would be likely be too small for the 5-15 adapter).

Anyone see any issues with the following from Amazon? (either 50ft or 100ft, measuring the distance today to confirm):
Does anyone have any other, specific, product recommendations from personal experience?
Additionally, this would also be an backup/emergency cable I could keep in the car when travelling.

I've been debating this back and forth, but now with my Model 3 delivery imminent (6/2), I think it would be prudent to have it on hand.

It works, it is slow. Dependent on how far you drive daily, it can be all you need. I'm not sure that I would call it "emergency charging" though. In an "emergency" it would take 3 hours to charge enough to get to one of the Superchargers.

The way I look at it, Everyone really should always have a really good extension cord, if the power in your apartment goes out, you can always get some off of a neighbor.

I think in your case, it makes sense for overnight charging if you only have a 110V plug-in available where you live. This should compliment your planned strategy of charging mostly at work quite nicely, especially with the superchargers close by. If you have access to a 240V plug, you could also look at the following also on Amazon.

Epicord 25 FT Extension Cord - 50 Amp Standard Male to 50 Amp 90 Degree Female Locking Adapter.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a 240V plug, only the 'normal' indoor outlets, I would need to run it out a small window and ~70 feet to the nearest spot currently.

I think in your case, it makes sense for overnight charging if you only have a 110V plug-in available where you live. This should compliment your planned strategy of charging mostly at work quite nicely, especially with the superchargers close by. If you have access to a 240V plug, you could also look at the following also on Amazon.

Epicord 25 FT Extension Cord - 50 Amp Standard Male to 50 Amp 90 Degree Female Locking Adapter.

Thanks for the positive vote :) 'Emergency' isn't really meant as such (I hope!) , as if I somehow managed to get below 30 miles of charge at home I could still get to to a SC.

It would likely be more for travel, but as noted, if there IS a case where I get relatively low and are at home, this would be relatively infrequently used to add a bit of slow charge at night to stretch my weekend charging if I have a lot of local travel over a weekend, perhaps..

It works, it is slow. Dependent on how far you drive daily, it can be all you need. I'm not sure that I would call it "emergency charging" though. In an "emergency" it would take 3 hours to charge enough to get to one of the Superchargers.

The way I look at it, Everyone really should always have a really good extension cord, if the power in your apartment goes out, you can always get some off of a neighbor.

Yes, the only one significantly closer to me is at a Ford dealership on the highway (with only one J1772 plug)... so not convenient to leave there for a few hours. Even if it was, not sure I'd want to leave my Model 3 unattended at a Ford dealership :p

There are a few residential ones on the map that are maybe a mile or 2 closer than the supercharger... but for that hassle, I might aw well go to the supercharger and grab a snack at the nearby WaWa/Mall.

As for worth it... I'd rather have it an *NOT* need it than not have it when I *DO* need it ;)

Hmmm...not sure even worth it ..have u checked plug share for any J1772 chargers close by ?

I wouldn't bother. A 70ft extension cord is going to be both expensive and heavy. Plus, I have doubts whether your apt manager would even allow it anyway. Just don't ever go home with such a profoundly low charge you can't get to some form of public charging. It's really not that hard to manage your battery level.

P.S. Move to somewhere you can have proper at home charging!

Reactions: gene and xcat
I love it there, though! Also, the landlord lives next door to us, and is an awesome guy. I've talked to him and he was totally fine with me running a cord to the car, as long as I cover it where it passes over the walkways (hence the 2nd item). We've just got to convince *HIS* boss to get chargers installed :)

I went ahead and ordered the cable, so we'll see how it works out... I'll at least try it to see what kind of charge I can get out of it and I'll update the thread with the rate, in case it helps anyone. very worst case, I could return it if it ends up actually being unnecessary.

I wouldn't bother. A 70ft extension cord is going to be both expensive and heavy. Plus, I have doubts whether your apt manager would even allow it anyway. Just don't ever go home with such a profoundly low charge you can't get to some form of public charging. It's really not that hard to manage your battery level.

P.S. Move to somewhere you can have proper at home charging!

I think that is the very same cord that I ordered, but I did get the 50 foot kind. I really don't ever want to deal with 100 feet of cord, and if I did ever need anything close to that long, I should have found some other option instead. While it is true that the charging rate is really slow with that kind of setup, the car is going to be sitting overnight for 9 or 10 hours anyway. What else is it going to do? And if you can add 30 miles on it, while taking up none of your own time, that's a pretty decent gain.

Reactions: gene
That helps, thank you! As for the 50 foot... I measured from our kitchen window to the closest spot, and it's ~65 feet. Yes, I know with the UMC it *might* make it, but I really don't want a stretched cable, and if I can't get the 1st spot, then I'd be SoL. Do you recall what charging rates you'd got and for which car? I know the Model 3's are slightly faster to charge (due to efficiency).

I think that is the very same cord that I ordered, but I did get the 50 foot kind. I really don't ever want to deal with 100 feet of cord, and if I did ever need anything close to that long, I should have found some other option instead. While it is true that the charging rate is really slow with that kind of setup, the car is going to be sitting overnight for 9 or 10 hours anyway. What else is it going to do? And if you can add 30 miles on it, while taking up none of your own time, that's a pretty decent gain.

That helps, thank you! As for the 50 foot... I measured from our kitchen window to the closest spot, and it's ~65 feet. Yes, I know with the UMC it *might* make it, but I really don't want a stretched cable, and if I can't get the 1st spot, then I'd be SoL. Do you recall what charging rates you'd got and for which car? I know the Model 3's are slightly faster to charge (due to efficiency).
On a regular 110 outlet, I got 13-14 miles per kWh.

That helps, thank you! As for the 50 foot... I measured from our kitchen window to the closest spot, and it's ~65 feet. Yes, I know with the UMC it *might* make it, but I really don't want a stretched cable, and if I can't get the 1st spot, then I'd be SoL.
Yeah, probably need the 100 then. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.
Do you recall what charging rates you'd got and for which car? I know the Model 3's are slightly faster to charge (due to efficiency).
Right. You know about 15A outlets versus 20A outlets, right? The ones where one of the slots are T shaped are a 20A outlet, so with the 5-20 adapter from Tesla, you could pull 16A from that. But for a regular outlet that's a 15A one, it will be 12A to the car. On my Model S, that's about 3 miles per hour, maybe nearly 4 on a good day. The Model 3 is generally 5 or so. But with the 100 foot cord, there may be a little bit of voltage drop, so between 4 and 5 I would guess. So if you can find the 20A outlet type, like they do frequently have along kitchen counters, then that would be 1 to 2 miles per hour higher.

On a regular 110 outlet, I got 13-14 miles per kWh.
I don't even understand this.

Reactions: dhrivnak and brkaus
Hate to be a wet blanket, but if you run a cord 70' across an apartment complex parking lot, isn't that going to be a tripping hazard? What about the lawn maint people? Will they hit your cord with a mower?

On the positive side, you may be able to get him to allow you to put a plug off a street light. The parking lot lights here at work are 220v, and they've been switching to LED from Sodium vapor, so the amp draw is a lot less... ergo the wiring exceeds the LED's need and that leftover can be for a UMC. You can get old fashion kwh meters from ebay or even DIN rail mount meters suitable to go in a water tight box.

Reactions: KJD
Hate to be a wet blanket, but if you run a cord 70' across an apartment complex parking lot, isn't that going to be a tripping hazard? What about the lawn maint people? Will they hit your cord with a mower?
His landlord, (who he said is a cool guy) said he was fine with it as long as it was covered somehow. And mowing at commercial properties is pretty much always on a set schedule, so he will know what day of the week is mowing day, and just doesn't have to put it out that day.

His landlord, (who he said is a cool guy) said he was fine with it as long as it was covered somehow. And mowing at commercial properties is pretty much always on a set schedule, so he will know what day of the week is mowing day, and just doesn't have to put it out that day.

This, exactly. Mowing is always on Fridays, and during the day :) Also, it's not across the lot (which I agree would be extremely dumb), it's across my 'front lawn' to the lot.

I don't even understand this.
In my haste to type that out before going to the store, I made an error. That should read; when plugged into a standard electrical outlet, I achieved 13-14 miles of range per hour. This means it would have taken me 48+ hours to get to my target goal of 280 miles of range, according to the app/car. Did I clear that up for you?