Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging question with no way to install charger currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out this option.

220 and 240 Voltage Converters for Everyday Use

Also, where is your breaker box located? If nearby you may be able to run a cheap 240V oultlet for a few hundred bucks.

Hrm, given the location of the unit, I would still need to run a long cord to get from that 240V to the car... but that is something to bring up to my landlord, if I could somehow get an external outlet (even 120V, though 240V would be much better) installed connected to my box.

In my haste to type that out before going to the store, I made an error. That should read; when plugged into a standard electrical outlet, I achieved 13-14 miles of range per hour. This means it would have taken me 48+ hours to get to my target goal of 280 miles of range, according to the app/car. Did I clear that up for you?
No, that doesn't clear it up and still doesn't make any sense. A "standard electrical outlet" that you mention would be a 5-15. That is a 120V 15A circuit, where the car can pull 12A continuous. There is no way to get 13 or 14 miles per hour from that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
No, that doesn't clear it up and still doesn't make any sense. A "standard electrical outlet" that you mention would be a 5-15. That is a 120V 15A circuit, where the car can pull 12A continuous. There is no way to get 13 or 14 miles per hour from that.
On this particular attempt, I got 12mph. I could have redone it to further prove my point but there is no need. I'm sorry that you assume you know more than you do but you are wrong. *Gotta upload the correct pic...*

With a slower charger I have to let the car sit a bit before I can get more accurate info. That will have to be later since I need to take my son swimming. I wish I could figure out how to recover archive charge records, if they exist. I pulled 13-14mph my first week until I could get the wall unit installed.

Attachments

• 20180531_152044.jpg
    20180531_152044.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
On this particular attempt, I got 12mph.
No, you absolutely for certain did not. That just isn't possible.
I could have redone it to further prove my point but there is no need. I'm sorry that you assume you know more than you do but you are wrong.
No, I am not.

I assure you, you have some kind of math or reading wrong. That would be four times the charging speed of a Model S from that kind of outlet, and the Model 3 certainly does not do that. It would be a little higher, like about 4 or 5, but nowhere near 12 or 13. I looked that that picture you posted, and it doesn't show anything like a 12 miles per hour charging rate. It actually shows 0 because it hasn't really started yet. What are you seeing that you think shows that?

Last edited:
In my haste to type that out before going to the store, I made an error. That should read; when plugged into a standard electrical outlet, I achieved 13-14 miles of range per hour. This means it would have taken me 48+ hours to get to my target goal of 280 miles of range, according to the app/car. Did I clear that up for you?

There's no way unless all of your driving is hypermile-style driving at very low speeds. At 200 Wh/mile (5 miles per kWh), a 12 amp, 120 volt connection will supply 7 miles of range per hour. You'd have to double your driving efficiency to get 14 miles of range per hour, which would give you about 600 miles of range per full charge.

120 volts * 12 amps = 1,440 watts

1.44 kW * 5 miles per kWh = 7.2 miles per hour (excluding overhead for vehicle systems while charging)

Alright, I'm taking the "L" and I owe an apology to @Rocky_H. I ran the charger kit that came with the car when I got home and was actually pulling 3-4, depending on the draw. This was just a 5 minute test but I did not feel like sitting there to see if there was any other number that I came up with. I am not sure where I got the 13-14 from, which is why I wish I could pull up the info from when I first brought the car home. As I sat here considering this (for some reason the website would not load for me), I realized that I may have figured out where the 13 and 14 came from; I drive 56 miles one way to work. In order to get that much range I would have to get 14 hours of charging at 4 miles per hour. The 13 was probably 13 hours resulting in 52 miles of range (would be *doable* if I got a charge at the SC on the way to work or got a charge when at work). I believe the thought at the time was that I either had to refrain from driving unless to/from work, hold off on speeding (speeding is sooo easy to do unless you set cruise control), and hopefully get to plug in at work (which they have not approved yet).

TL;DR In a nutshell, I was horribly wrong and the numbers I recalled were not related to the range I achieved, but rather it was related to how long I would have to charge to get to work (but not get home!). My apologies @Rocky_H, I was clearly (and completely) wrong.

Last edited:
Hrm, given the location of the unit, I would still need to run a long cord to get from that 240V to the car... but that is something to bring up to my landlord, if I could somehow get an external outlet (even 120V, though 240V would be much better) installed connected to my box.
I'd try for anything 240 if your putting in an external outlet if you could get 20a 240v that would be pretty usable as long as you don't do a lot of driving. Of course, dragging the cord is a hassle so charging at work would be primary.

My first post here, please be gentle :)

I currently live in garden apartments (separate buildings without dedicated parking or charging setups). While I will be planning primarily charging at work with a backup of multiple superchargers within 10-20 miles, I would like to have a backup-backup for home 'emergency' charging (at least until/if I can get management to install dedicated charging stations). After reviewing several places here and elsewhere online, it seems the recommendation would be to get a 10-gauge extension cord if I'm going to be using a 'normal' 3 prong grounded outlet (as 12/14 would be likely be too small for the 5-15 adapter).

Anyone see any issues with the following from Amazon? (either 50ft or 100ft, measuring the distance today to confirm):
Does anyone have any other, specific, product recommendations from personal experience?
Additionally, this would also be an backup/emergency cable I could keep in the car when travelling.

I've been debating this back and forth, but now with my Model 3 delivery imminent (6/2), I think it would be prudent to have it on hand.
A good 12 gauge cord should work fine as most household wiring is 12 gauge to begin with. But 10 gauge would be slightly better. I took my 3 to my inlaws for the last 8 days. They only have a 110V outlet. While I was there I needed to use the car about 30 miles a day and be gone about 8 hours each day. It took 5 days to reach full charge, but it worked. You can easily get 50 miles/day overnight so if your commute is less than 50 miles a 110V plug will work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
A good 12 gauge cord should work fine as most household wiring is 12 gauge to begin with. But 10 gauge would be slightly better. I took my 3 to my inlaws for the last 8 days. They only have a 110V outlet. While I was there I needed to use the car about 30 miles a day and be gone about 8 hours each day. It took 5 days to reach full charge, but it worked. You can easily get 50 miles/day overnight so if your commute is less than 50 miles a 110V plug will work.

My commute is ~35 miles one way, so this will definitely not be a primary charging method... but for ~$110 I'll feel much better having it available than not :) As you noted, I will be able to have it with me when travelling also.

I wouldn't bother. A 70ft extension cord is going to be both expensive and heavy. Plus, I have doubts whether your apt manager would even allow it anyway. Just don't ever go home with such a profoundly low charge you can't get to some form of public charging. It's really not that hard to manage your battery level.

P.S. Move to somewhere you can have proper at home charging!

Or get an ICE car. Not everyone has the options to go electric at this point.

Or get an ICE car. Not everyone has the options to go electric at this point.

That's a bit harsh! If you read my initial post, I have charging available (at work and superchargers to top off if/when necessary), this is to have available for a backup/travel needs.

I currently have a Prius, which i will also have if worst comes to worst (but honestly, that would realistically only be if there was a serious issue with the new car)

Ghel

Forward thinking on your part to plan ahead for various charging opportunities on your incoming 3!

If I was in your situation, but I am not, and I am not recommending that you follow my dangerous ways. I would install a commercial grade NEMA 6-20 on the outside of my condo and deploy a 75’ 12ga. extension cord for ~15mph (assuming your condo is single phase 240v and not commercial 3-phase 208v) charge rate.

As a side note, when I charge in the wild, I check to insure tthat the entire circuit (breaker, wire ga., and receptacle) is sized and installed properly since safety is paramount to me. I also seek out washing machine and microwave receptacles since they are typically the sole wiring device on a branch circuit and often are wired with 12-2 Romex. I check all connection points immediately, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and 1-2 hours for excessive heat.

I am quite certain that you will find a 100' 10ga. extension to be quite bulky and heavy as I do mine. All of my info. here is as displayed on my 15” touchscreen. WRT to my NEMA 5-20 receptacle which is approximately 25' from my load center, I have have a nice stiff start voltage of 123V which drops to 120V when pulling 16A with just the UMC for a 7mph charge rate. When I add in my 100' 10ga. extension cord my start voltage is 122V and drops to 116-117V for a displayed charge rate of 6mph on the touchscreen, yet shows 7mph on my Tesla app. I have identical results (voltage drop and charge rate) when I also tested my 75' 12ga. extension.

Opps, I forgot to mention that I will charge on friends and relatives dryer outlet (10-30, 14-30) before I resort to 120V charging.

Warning: You should always consult a licensed electrician
It is most likely against code if you run an extension through a window
Tesla recommends that owners never use an extension cord for charging their cars

Good-luck!

Last edited: