Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of getting a MYP, I would be getting a home charger. The charger I would install would not be at my house. As I would have to pay the owner of the house money for the electric I consume on his electric bill. Is there a way to *accurately* track how much I use??
Can I put some sort of meter counter on the wall charger? Would the cars screen tell me how much electricity it used to charge that night? Then I could just multiply what I use to the electricity rate.

The tracking inside a Tesla on the trip meters is not accurate as to how much energy is used. This does not track power while the vehicle is off (Sentry mode and other vampire drain uses, pre-heating or pre-cooling the vehicle). It also does not account for charging losses. The dash under reports anywhere from 10-30 percent of the actual energy usage.

You can buy an old electric meter can off eBay and have the electrician wire it in-line with your charging station. Old style meters have the dials that can be difficult for some to read, while new style meters are much easier to read.

Model 3 showing wrong kWh consumption?

Do a few searches. Your query is a very common question that has been asked and answered many times.

Subscribe to TesliFi. The information you need is captured as below.

Charge Complete

Home
12:00 AM - 1:52 AM

1 Hours 51 Minutes
Battery Icon

29%

51% - 80%
Used: 21.07 kWh

Added: 18.93 kWh
Efficiency

89.8%
Avg Voltage: 235.18V

Max Voltage: 238V
Avg Amps: 48A

Max Amps: 48A
Charge Cost

$ 1.95
Miles Added

Odometer

Charge

Reactions: RTPEV
The Chargepoint charger also tracks energy usage at the charger and it the app. May be a little more accurate on that side since it's the charger and not the car tracking usage. https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home I'm getting mine installed on Friday so I'll know more then.
Was going to go with the tesla charger but I might as well just use the adapter and get one that can charge any visiting EV's.

+1 to @bobleland's recommendation to use TeslaFi. Even though it does carry a fee, it would not require any additional hardware (which would wind up "paying" for a year or two of the TeslaFi subscription), presents the data in incredibly useful summary form (versus having to manually track it on a spreadsheet or something), and with the subscription you get access to all kinds of other nifty data.

Here is my summary for the entire month of February, for example:

1647351958086.png

You can set the cost either as a flat per kWh rate, or it also lets you set up detailed time-of-use rates if the rate varies throughout the day/week/season so you can literally run this report once a month and bam, the total cost is shown right there.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate the "kWh used" is, and whether it includes any losses in the wall connector itself (probably not), but the losses would be relatively low, and as you can see, we're not talking much cost anyway. Since you apparently have a gracious neighbor, make a gentleman's agreement to add 10-15% to the cost for his trouble.

With the G3 wall connector you can pull stats from it:
Please see the post from @sorbl

For my Telsa G3 wall evse, I have the following data
curl -s http://192.168.137.96/api/1/lifetime | jq
{
"contactor_cycles": 975,
"contactor_cycles_loaded": 36,
"alert_count": 2,
"thermal_foldbacks": 0,
"avg_startup_temp": 14.6,
"charge_starts": 975,
"energy_wh": 5161890,
"connector_cycles": 518,
"uptime_s": 38763354,
"charging_time_s": 1803446
}

I have a Hypervolt. The app seems to be pretty clear. You tap in your tariff fee and it does the sums for you so you can see both power consumption and cost.

You may find the installation more challenging than working out the spend depending on the model you go for and the property it's being installed on.

Screenshot_20220428-184144.png
Screenshot_20220428-184231.png