Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla newbie here. Looking to take delivery of a Model S LR in a couple of weeks. Do most people use the Tesla home charger? Can you use another charging station like Chargepoint or Juice Box? Do you need a special adapter for those to fit into the Tesla? I think Tesla has its own proprietary connection point? Thanks!

Tesla newbie here. Looking to take delivery of a Model S LR in a couple of weeks. Do most people use the Tesla home charger? Can you use another charging station like Chargepoint or Juice Box? Do you need a special adapter for those to fit into the Tesla? I think Tesla has its own proprietary connection point? Thanks!

I'd say most people use the Tesla Wall Connector. You can use any electric vehicle charging station, but they're almost always more expensive than the Tesla Wall Connector, which is now just $400 in the online store. Your new Tesla will come with a J-1772 adapter to enable charging from non-Tesla stations like Chargepoint and JuiceBox.

I previously owned a JuiceBox but switched to exclusively using Wall Connectors when I sold my non-Tesla EV.

I'd say most either use the home "charger" (really a connector) or the mobile charger that used to be supplied with the car. There are other chargers available. All require a Tesla adapter. Other charging points are available, and the most also require a Tesla adapter at this time. Tesla Superchargers across the nation work without any adapter.

Reactions: KSoze
I use the mobile connector and a NEMA 14-50 plug. I actually have 3 NEMA 14-50 plugs in the garage, one for each bay. The NEMA 14-15 is normally easy and relatively inexpensive to install. Allows for maximum flexibly as you can use it with any charger, a welder or an RV for flexible resale value. And even at the 32 amps, I have always been fully charged overnight and I just crossed 90,000 miles.

No need to waste money on the Tesla wall charger....just use the 14-50 adapter with the mobile charger...less expensive

Not much faster with the Tesla wall mount unit...specially when u are going to charge over night anyway

The mobile connector isn't included anymore, and there are some valid claims that it's less reliable and less safe than using a wall connector. Further, the mobile connector maxes at 32A and the wall connector maxes at 48A. So that's actually significant. Using the mobile connector at 32A there have been a few times I've recharged at home in the middle of the day and then still nearly drained the battery in the afternoon.

But on this topic, let's say a vehicle gets used for 12 hours in a day. Maybe a delivery vehicle, or traveling sales person, or something. That means it has 12 hours sitting at a depot. If it charged at the common 11.5kw that'd only be 138kwh that could be put back into the battery. The appropriate battery size is maybe less dependent on the desired range and more constrained by the available charging session time and rate of charge, which is likely going to be something pretty low for the foreseeable future until EVs are a more common. I wonder if depots like Amazon intend to install high kw DC chargers or rely on overnight AC charging to keep their trucks charged.

In terms of UX there's something really nice and simple about using the Tesla wall connector that also has a button on it to open your charge port. When it's something you are doing pretty much every day (if you are like most folks) then little things like that go a long way.

what is the cost difference in the other chargers you are looking at? Over the years, Tesla has lowered the price of the wall charger to what is now $400, which is reasonable. I have seen very few people with issues with their home charger.

what is the cost difference in the other chargers you are looking at? Over the years, Tesla has lowered the price of the wall charger to what is now $400, which is reasonable. I have seen very few people with issues with their home charger.
Chargepoint is around $700 and JuiceBox is around $700 too. So at $400, the Tesla home charger seems like a much better deal.

Reactions: Big Earl
Chargepoint is around $700 and JuiceBox is around $700 too. So at $400, the Tesla home charger seems like a much better deal.

Quite some time ago I watched some YouTube videos from a guy comparing different home charging methods and various brands of connector equipment. I think generally the Tesla equipment ranked highly but there were features of others he really liked. Like higher quality plugs and cables, or better storage for the plug and cable, or the shape of the box being better suited for certain circumstances. I think it's worth searching YouTube for those videos.