Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging restrictions coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got to be incentivised, surely? People charge overnight because that's when the low rates are.

My smart meter doesn't work so I actually fill up when it's most convenient to me, which is 5pm-10pm, and accept that at a penalty of 18p/kWh. But that's the DNO's problem, not mine, and if they want me to stop doing it they can lean on Arqiva to turn up the wick on their transmitter.

If they decide to limit it through the smart chargers, then I'll just swap it out for a Tesla Wall Connector or a 32A commando socket.

You don't need a roof with Solar Panels for Powerwalls, a Gateway 2 and home charger.

You don't need any Solar Panels.

You do need to wait though, Tesla recently said they are sold out worldwide until the end of 2022.

Seems like a typical DM BS shock piece to me, but a lot of providers are either already offering or about to offer EV tariffs with dirt cheap power for four hours overnight, so I would expect most people charging at home will want to make use of that if they can anyway.

Reactions: Smileysam
Putting aside how we found out about it 😉 the plans are not a joke.

Gov Response to Consultation = The Plan
and
Impact Assessment: The Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations 2021

Might prevent Tesla selling wall connectors in the UK unless the software side is developed.

As charge point manufacturers will be unlikely to maintain separate code for this, some will just abandon/deprecate old charge point models (owners might think about taking them offline to avoid them being hacked). The others will push firmware updates to existing charge points.

The ‘By default’ will likely capture the crowd and achieve the balancing aim but it isn’t going to stop someone who needs to charge, charging.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Interesting read. You would hope the government would apply some logic to this. For example, say you have a Zappi and solar. Are they saying the sun won’t be generating any power at 4pm in summer? Then again I think I have answered my own question. Government and logic aren’t usually used in the same sentence!

The ‘By default’ will likely capture the crowd and achieve the balancing aim but it isn’t going to stop someone who needs to charge, charging.
And I think that is the point. most people will not need to charge their cars every day so I would be happy plugging in at night even if there was a risk something might go wrong and it might not charge at all so long as I had plenty for the next day ( or two) in the tank already. If I was planning a road trip, different story. But so long as you catch most of the people most of the time its fine.
Of course you catch more flies with honey.... It seems to me Octopus Go style off peak pricing would be at least as good an incentive but its incompatible. How can I leave the charger to decide when my car charges if I have a few hours window with cheap pricing that I want to use. I would hope they align but since my current Go window is 20:30 to 23:30 I'm not so sure?

Might prevent Tesla selling wall connectors in the UK unless the software side is developed.

I think they already plan to develop the capabilities of the Mk 3 anyway.

It's a weird paper, though, they don't seem to have even considered the possibility of also mandating that vehicles control the charging process so that existing chargers also get some degree of smart control.

I stick by my original assessment of it being a typical DM shock piece, though, written to make you think something terrible and draconian is happening when it really isn't if you think about it for five minutes.

They're the sort of source who have headlines like "40% of sick days are taken on Mondays and Fridays".