TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Home Charging Set-up

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by lglover35, Nov 19, 2016.

1. lglover35

lglover35 New Member

Does anyone know why Tesla warns against using an extension cord and/or conversion plug with the mobile connector? This is a warning stated in the connector owner's manual, but my Tesla rep, not a technical person, hasn't found an explanation, although an electrician who installs Tesla charging set-ups agrees they are OK to use. I can't think of a technical reason myself, but would like to know Tesla's thinking behind the warning.

2. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

3. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

Ok, in re-reading the question, I guess it doesn't say why Tesla says that, but my 2c is that finding a safe extension cord for it is not something you find at Home Depot. (At least at 40a, 240v). They are available, and you could make one if you could not find it, but it would be east to use something incorrectly sized and cause a fire, and this way Tesla has limited their liability.

240 volts at higher amperage are not something to fool with without knowing what you are doing... 40 amps isn't bad if you are carefull, but I have seen people hook up dryers, which use the same circuit size, by putting the right plugs on a standard household extension cord. It's easier, (for Tesla) to simply sat "we don't allow it".

So, there you go, there is my 2c, and probably worth at least half of that!

(I am guessing it will be less than 24 hours until someone posts a link to the right sized cord at Home Depot)

4. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I agree. Extension cords are disallowed because it's easy for someone to screw up. Pay attention to the ratings and it should be fine.

As for adapters, that's even more dangerous as it's easy to overload a circuit. Like the cords, use the right ones and the right amps and it should be ok too. As long as your car doesn't forget the reduced setting.

There are just too many variables and too easy for someone to screw up.

5. auger

auger Member

6. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

The short answer is because the problems are usually at the connections. Connectors are exposed to the elements and usually a little more corroded which makes for poorer contact which will create resistance which turns the connector into a heating element. More connections, more potential problems.

The general public is also not very good about understanding what wire size extension cable is needed. Smaller wire extension cables will have connections designed for lower amperage and will be an even weaker link in the chain.

The bottom line is that it's a CYA thing for Tesla, but not a warning to be ignored unless you know how to correctly size, and connect all the pieces you are considering using.

Here's an example of how things go wrong.

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

An extension cord can be safely used if is properly rated for the load ... the one list below is fine :cool:

50 AMP/15' cord
    • Includes convenient carrying strap
    • Rated at 125V-250V/12500W and has a 6 / 3+8 / 1 STW cord
    • Features PowerGrip handles for ease of use
    • NEMA 14-50P & NEMA 14-50R connectors

[​IMG]

• Like x 1