Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by MTN Ranger, Aug 23, 2018.
Raining day yesterday, so I thought I would show my home charging setup.
MTN Ranger - unrelated question to your video, nice as it is! I have a lease running out and cant afford the Tesla 3 on the market now - if I have to lease for a couple of years in the meantime do you recommend the Volt?
I just use the charger that came with the car and a 60 amp 220v circuit. It charges plenty fast that way. I was lucky that my brother had a lot of experience with wiring heavy electrical equipment. We put in the plug and breaker in about an hour.
You shouldn't be using the UMC (note the C stands for Connector, not Charger) with a 60A circuit. Assuming you're using the highest amp adapter available, which is the NEMA 14-50 adapter, that outlet should be on a 50A circuit.
@TexasEV noticed it first, but that immediately jumped out at me as well. The mobile charge cable doesn't have any plugs it can use that go with 60A outlet types, so what do you have? My guess is you have a really wrong installation of something.
I'm confused. You're saying it's not okay to use the UMC on a circuit that's rated up to 60A?
The UMC has adapters for plugs up to 50A (ie, NEMA 14-50 or 6-50). I'm not sure how he would have managed to plug into a 60A outlet unless he has one of those two outlets on a 60A circuit, with is a bad idea.
I'm guessing he meant a 50A circuit.
Ah. Okay. That makes more sense.
My assumption was he was using some type of exotic 14-60P to 14-50R EVSE adapter or something.
Well, here's what it is. There is a 60A outlet type that exists, which is a 14-60, but Tesla doesn't have a plug for that. It only has plugs for the outlet types that are up to 50A, like the 6-50 or 14-50. And it is a blatant violation of electric code to have the breaker for an outlet be higher than the outlet type. So it was our not-so-subtle way of pointing out that if the person is just casually plugging in and saying that it's a 60A circuit, they probably have a 14-50 outlet on it, which is totally wrong.
But if they are having to do some wonky third party pigtail adapter thing to convert from a 14-60 outlet to a 14-50 outlet he could actually plug the UMC into, that kind of kludging probably would have been mentioned, so it's unlikely.
I had a 2012 Volt which is the first gen. Mine had zero problems over the time I leased it. I enjoyed the car and ended with around 90% miles on electricity. The other 10% was the result of two long distance trips. The second generation Volt gets even more EV miles (50-60 vs 35-40). The only issue for me is the rear seats are small. My kids are now too big to fit in the rear seating area. Take that into account.
I typo'd. It's a 50 amp breaker set. Also you have to pick the right wire for the length of the distance to the plug. If I remember right for less than 20 ft. you can use 6 gauge for longer it's 4 gauge (or something like that.) I have to add that charger that comes with the car only draws around 32 (plus a little for inefficiency), so the 50 amp plug and breakers aren't being challenged.
Emm that might not work then I have a 6'3" 250lb 15 year old and one of the reasons I love the M3 is how much room there is for the front passenger! I will save up my pennies and learn some patience - thanks