Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging speed problems - EO Mini Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the JuiceNet app on your phone what are you setting the current/charge limit to ? Bit of a guess but if you set the charge limit to lower than the cars current charge then it might just max out at 7a just to keep the car trickle charging on demand.

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 06.51.28.jpg

I had the same problem with my EO Mini, limited to 7Kw. I found the cause, and have now ditched the Juicenet app. There is a setting for "Charging Limit", but it is NOT on the app! You have to log in via the website to find it and reset.

You need to log into the website
Login - JuiceNet Home

Then set to 0 and save. Then rather use Stats app, or Teslafi to schedule any charging. I've had no issues since.

Thanks. I'll see what happens when I get home later.

I've spoken to the company that installed the EO. they said there's a change the setting inside the charger wasn't set correctly (to 32a) meaning the charger is slowing things down. They are going to send someone out asap to have a look.

Will update the thread when I know more.

Thank you all for your help.

For the slightly tech savy its pretty easy to call the Tesla API yourself and get the full set of data the car has if anyone is interested
You can use a free tool like Postman or Soap UI (both free)
First you call one API to get an API key using your username password. when you have the key ( which is good for 45 days) you can then call the other API's to get data or even control the car.
what you get back looks like the below and tells you everything the car knows. this is the raw data that Teslafi use
Scheduling and storing would be a bit trickier but is doable in Soap UI. however just making one off manual calls as part of a trouble shooting exercise does not require a degree in IT.
I have a basic SoapUI project I already configured a while back if anyone wants a copy to play with they can DM me.

{
"response": {
"id": 12345678901234567,
"user_id": 123,
"vehicle_id": 1234567890,
"vin": "5YJSA11111111111",
"display_name": "Nikola 2.0",
"option_codes": "MDLS,RENA,AF02,APF1,APH2,APPB,AU01,BC0R,BP00,BR00,BS00,CDM0,CH05,PBCW,CW00,DCF0,DRLH,DSH7,DV4W,FG02,FR04,HP00,IDBA,IX01,LP01,ME02,MI01,PF01,PI01,PK00,PS01,PX00,PX4D,QTVB,RFP2,SC01,SP00,SR01,SU01,TM00,TP03,TR00,UTAB,WTAS,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013,X021,X024,X027,X028,X031,X037,X040,X044,YFFC,COUS",
"color": null,
"tokens": ["abcdef1234567890", "1234567890abcdef"],
"state": "online",
"in_service": false,
"id_s": "12345678901234567",
"calendar_enabled": true,
"api_version": 6,
"backseat_token": null,
"backseat_token_updated_at": null,
"drive_state": {
"gps_as_of": 1538363883,
"heading": 5,
"latitude": 33.111111,
"longitude": -88.111111,
"native_latitude": 33.111111,
"native_location_supported": 1,
"native_longitude": -88.111111,
"native_type": "wgs",
"power": 0,
"shift_state": null,
"speed": null,
"timestamp": 1538364666096
},
"climate_state": {
"battery_heater": false,
"battery_heater_no_power": false,
"climate_keeper_mode": "dog",
"driver_temp_setting": 21.6,
"fan_status": 0,
"inside_temp": null,
"is_auto_conditioning_on": null,
"is_climate_on": false,
"is_front_defroster_on": false,
"is_preconditioning": false,
"is_rear_defroster_on": false,
"left_temp_direction": null,
"max_avail_temp": 28.0,
"min_avail_temp": 15.0,
"outside_temp": null,
"passenger_temp_setting": 21.6,
"remote_heater_control_enabled": true,
"right_temp_direction": null,
"seat_heater_left": 3,
"seat_heater_rear_center": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_left": 1,
"seat_heater_rear_left_back": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_right": 1,
"seat_heater_rear_right_back": 0,
"seat_heater_right": 2,
"side_mirror_heaters": false,
"smart_preconditioning": false,
"steering_wheel_heater": false,
"timestamp": 1543186971731,
"wiper_blade_heater": false
},
"charge_state": {
"battery_heater_on": false,
"battery_level": 64,
"battery_range": 167.96,
"charge_current_request": 48,
"charge_current_request_max": 48,
"charge_enable_request": true,
"charge_energy_added": 12.41,
"charge_limit_soc": 90,
"charge_limit_soc_max": 100,
"charge_limit_soc_min": 50,
"charge_limit_soc_std": 90,
"charge_miles_added_ideal": 50.0,
"charge_miles_added_rated": 40.0,
"charge_port_cold_weather_mode": false,
"charge_port_door_open": false,
"charge_port_latch": "Engaged",
"charge_rate": 0.0,
"charge_to_max_range": false,
"charger_actual_current": 0,
"charger_phases": null,
"charger_pilot_current": 48,
"charger_power": 0,
"charger_voltage": 0,
"charging_state": "Disconnected",
"conn_charge_cable": "<invalid>",
"est_battery_range": 118.38,
"fast_charger_brand": "<invalid>",
"fast_charger_present": false,
"fast_charger_type": "<invalid>",
"ideal_battery_range": 209.95,
"managed_charging_active": false,
"managed_charging_start_time": null,
"managed_charging_user_canceled": false,
"max_range_charge_counter": 0,
"not_enough_power_to_heat": false,
"scheduled_charging_pending": false,
"scheduled_charging_start_time": null,
"time_to_full_charge": 0.0,
"timestamp": 1543186971727,
"trip_charging": false,
"usable_battery_level": 64,
"user_charge_enable_request": null
},
"gui_settings": {
"gui_24_hour_time": false,
"gui_charge_rate_units": "mi/hr",
"gui_distance_units": "mi/hr",
"gui_range_display": "Rated",
"gui_temperature_units": "F",
"timestamp": 1543186971728
},
"vehicle_state": {
"api_version": 6,
"autopark_state_v2": "standby",
"autopark_style": "standard",
"calendar_supported": true,
"car_version": "2018.42.2 19e7e44",
"center_display_state": 0,
"df": 0,
"dr": 0,
"ft": 0,
"homelink_nearby": true,
"is_user_present": false,
"last_autopark_error": "no_error",
"locked": true,
"media_state": { "remote_control_enabled": true },
"notifications_supported": true,
"odometer": 33561.422505,
"parsed_calendar_supported": true,
"pf": 0,
"pr": 0,
"remote_start": false,
"remote_start_enabled": true,
"remote_start_supported": true,
"rt": 0,
"sentry_mode": true,
"software_update": { "expected_duration_sec": 2700, "status": "" },
"speed_limit_mode": {
"active": false,
"current_limit_mph": 75.0,
"max_limit_mph": 90,
"min_limit_mph": 50,
"pin_code_set": false
},
"sun_roof_percent_open": 0,
"sun_roof_state": "unknown",
"timestamp": 1538364666096,
"valet_mode": false,
"valet_pin_needed": true,
"vehicle_name": "Nikola 2.0"
},
"vehicle_config": {
"can_accept_navigation_requests": true,
"can_actuate_trunks": true,
"car_special_type": "base",
"car_type": "models2",
"charge_port_type": "US",
"eu_vehicle": false,
"exterior_color": "White",
"has_air_suspension": true,
"has_ludicrous_mode": false,
"key_version": 1,
"motorized_charge_port": true,
"perf_config": "P2",
"plg": true,
"rear_seat_heaters": 0,
"rear_seat_type": 0,
"rhd": false,
"roof_color": "None",
"seat_type": 2,
"spoiler_type": "None",
"sun_roof_installed": 2,
"third_row_seats": "None",
"timestamp": 1538364666096,
"trim_badging": "p90d",
"wheel_type": "AeroTurbine19"
}
}
}

The full list of possible calls can be found here: Introduction

This stuff makes me very glad that my main charge point has a built-in time switch, that's not connected to any sort of smart system. I can flick a switch on the front to select whether I want to charge immediately, stop any charge, or charge only during the off-peak time. I can leave the car set on charge immediately and let the charge point do all the switching on and off, under direct control (as in physical contacts have to close to make anything happen).

The new charge point that I'll be fitting soon has more options, as I've included three selectable charge currents, as well as the same timer system I have in the unit I use most of the time. The main reason for this is to be able to just switch to a low charge rate if it's a sunny day, as I found that the previous system I had for varying the charge rate depending on the amount of PV generation was unnecessarily complex in practice. That worked by setting the charge rate to a value from 6 A (the minimum allowable in the spec) upwards, for as long as the cost of charging during the day was lower than the cost of off-peak charging. In practice, it spent most of its time charging at ~7 to 8 A, so it seemed pointless to have more stuff to potentially go wrong, hence the reversion to a low (7.5 A) charge switch.
Hi Jeremy, couple of questions:
- I thought powering on the charger in the middle of the night if the Tesla is asleep results in no charge being taken because the car doesn't wake up. Is this not your experience?
- I'd be interested how you control how much charge the charger offers to the car, and how this is transmitted to the car; is it some sort of digital/analogue thing that is communicated on one of the charge/carrying wires?

Hi Jeremy, couple of questions:
- I thought powering on the charger in the middle of the night if the Tesla is asleep results in no charge being taken because the car doesn't wake up. Is this not your experience?
- I'd be interested how you control how much charge the charger offers to the car, and how this is transmitted to the car; is it some sort of digital/analogue thing that is communicated on one of the charge/carrying wires?

TBH, I've not charged the Tesla overnight yet, and wasn't aware that it had a problem with timed charging. It used to work fine with my i3. I'll plug the car in on a timed charge tonight and see if if it works or not. It should do, as the protocol requires vehicles to respond in a predictable way to changes in the control pilot signal, and so if the car sees a State B it should just sit and wait for the charge point to go to State C (charge power available).

The comms between the charge point and the car are pretty simple and crude. There's a single wire, the control pilot, that does all the active signalling, and this idles at +12V, with a source impedance of 1k ohms, when the cable isn't connected to anything. When plugged into the car, there is a 2.74k ohm load applied to that pin, through a diode in the car, which brings the voltage down to +9V (+/- 1 V). when this happens, the charge point starts a 1 kHz pulse train, with a duty cycle that advertises the available charge current. The minimum is 6 A, 10% duty, and the normal UK maximum is around 30 A, 50% duty. The car measures this duty cycle, sets the onboard charger to not draw more current than advertised, and then loads the control pilot signal down with an additional 1.3k ohm resistor. This takes the positive going part of the 1 kHz pulse train down to +6 V (+/- 1 V) and that signals the charge point to close its contactor and allow power to the car.

There's a load of safety stuff, too, including the negative going part of the +12 V -12 V pulse train being cut off by a diode inside the car, so the 0 V to -12 V part of the signal is always seen by the charge point. This is a safety provision, as if the connector was dropped in water, for example, the negative going part of the signal would be affected, and so trigger a fault. The same happens when the control pilot is shorted out. The spec states that the double pole contactor must isolate power to the cable and connector within 100ms of any fault being detected.

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
Thanks! That's very interesting. Follow on question: so the charge point doesn't *actually* limit the current in any way -- it's just telling the car "please don't take any more than x Amps"?

Yes, that's right. There's nothing in the charge point to physically control or limit the current, all it can do is advertise the available current to the charger in the car and switch the mains on and off. All the physical control of charge current happens within the charger built in to the car.

• Informative
Hello People,
Fresh guy in the the forum! :)
I have the same charge point (am very happy with it) having a few issues, but if yo want cutting edge you have to roll with the bugs!

Firstly, that stinks of the charge unit not set right...
upload_2019-12-3_15-32-22.png

What happens if you plug into a different charge point? I'm near Jct 8 of the M40 if your close, you can plug into my point and see what happens. but it you plug it in when i'm not there i'll know! :):)
Bet there's

I have also noticed that when it's cold the battery is slow to charge, once it's warmed up tho it's fine...

While I'm no expert I've just hit 10k miles so am a heavy user and have watched a million videos and my wife has threatened to leave me many times cus of my Tesla 3 love! :p
FYI I have a LR 3

• Funny
Thanks again. I've just looked on the EV Juicenet site, here's the details from last night:

This was it warming up this morning when I put the heating on
13/3/2019 7:48:13 AM 12/3/2019 7:53:37 AM 00:05:24 0.149kw

This was the scheduled charge (start time of 12.30 via the car)
12/3/2019 12:30:01 AM - 4:17:21 AM 03:47:20hrs 30.428kw

This was me messing about turning things on and off last night
12/2/2019 10:23:15 PM - 11:02:33 PM 00:39:18 1.158kw
12/2/2019 10:04:35 PM - 10:12:12 PM 00:07:37 0.22kw
12/2/2019 8:28:38 PM - 10:04:31 PM 01:35:53 2.835kw
12/2/2019 8:07:09 PM - 8:26:06 PM 00:18:57 0.548kw
12/2/2019 7:25:29 PM - 8:07:05 PM 00:41:36 1.217kw
12/2/2019 7 7:23:08 PM - 7:25:13 PM 00:02:05 0.055kw

Total of approx 1hr charging and 6.033kw

This shows (I think) it charging at 6kw during tests and 8.1kw per hour during scheduled charge which gave 119 miles. Is that correct, sound about right?

This is what mine shows on a typical charge

Attachments

• JuiceNet Device Details - JuiceNet Home.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 53