TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Home charging taper?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by BTaylor32185, Mar 25, 2018.

1. BTaylor32185

BTaylor32185 Member

I installed a Tesla Wall Connector in my garage in anticipation of getting my Tesla Model 3. I have it on a 60A circuit which should allow me to charge at 48A which I understand is the max rate that the car supports. This should provide around 44 miles of range per hour of charging. My question is.... Does home charging speed taper when the battery state is above 80% like a super charger does?

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

On Model S it tapers from 96% or so to 100%, otherwise not. I would think the same should apply for the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  3. BTaylor32185

BTaylor32185 Member

Thanks for the quick reply! That is excellent news.

4. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

A Supercharger, operating under ideal conditions, will put 116kW into the Model 3 LR until about 45% at which point it starts to taper. It tapers linearly, more or less, down to zero from that point. The Tesla Wall Connector charges the car at ~11kW [48*240*0.95]. The charging taper falls below the 11kW level at about 98% of the battery's indicated usable range. So any "at home" tapering will be within a few percentage points in the last ~10 minutes or so of charging. It won't be noticeable unless you're sitting in the car waiting for it to hit 100% before you drive off.

• Informative x 2