Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging through Tesla Wall Charger energy payments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I have searched but can't find an exact answer so I'm really confused.

Have only had the Tesla Wall Charger for a month or so. Got my first bills since installing it and found something weird and confusing.

My home energy costs sky-rocketed but that's understandable. However, I am also getting billed by the credit card on file on the days I charge at home (I don't leave the car charged every night since I haven't been driving much).

In other words, do I pay for charging from the Wall Charger through my energy company or does Tesla charge my CC even for home charging?

It's just weird that it looks like I am paying twice.

I am in Ontario, btw.

You should get billed for home charging through your electric supplier.

Tesla charges your credit card on file when you use the supercharger stations.

Your energy bill should not ‘skyrocket’ especially if you aren’t driving it much. Check with your electric provider as you may be on a time of use plan which charges higher rates during peak times of the day and then lowers the rates during the nighttime hours when demand is lowest.

If you put your utility into the Tesla app it will tell you how much your using under the charging stats.

Ok, there has to be an error of some sort here. I will have to contact the CC company tomorrow and my energy provider.

Pretty sure energy in Ontario went up about 30% in general this month so that would explain the home 'skyrocket', however, not sure why I'm getting billed twice.

Are the credit card charges from Tesla?

I think that's the starting point here and everything flows from that

I don't know how SC billing is done ... whether the car knows and reports or (more likely) the SC station itself does the billing. If it's the first then maybe your car thinks your home connector is a SC, if it's the second then it makes no sense. However if the charges (see what I did there? - lol) come from somewhere that's not Tesla, then it doesn't even matter how SC billing is done

Supercharging is charged to your account with Tesla. You can look at charges on the Tesla app: tap the person icon in the upper right corner on the Home Screen -> Account -> charging -> history to see charges.

Agree , though - who are the charges on your credit card from?

There are many different arrangements for home charging depending on your electric utility provider/location. Some times it’s just billed as straight energy like everything else. Sometimes there are peak/off peak charges. Sometimes they’re on a completely separate meter and separate bill. It’s impossible to say what’s going on without knowing the details of your billing arrangement.

Last edited:
However, I am also getting billed by the credit card on file on the days I charge at home
Oh no. That's a mistake that hadn't even occurred to me. OK, so with the new Tesla wall connectors version 3, they have the capability for wi-fi connectivity. And one of the features Tesla has announced is that they can be set up at businesses to do billing through that. So a hotel or mall can set it up where it "sees" who plugs in and then charge that Tesla driver's account to pay for the electricity. But here on the forum, we haven't heard of many installations set up with billing like that. It seems really rare, and the current versions of software that the wall connectors use don't seem to have that capability yet.

But that feature is only supposed to be turned on at public type locations where the owner who is paying for the electricity wants to bill the customers using it. That shouldn't apply to your privately owned one. But I wonder if that accidentally was enabled somehow.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Having said that, I'd actually LIKE to see how much I was paying for my home charging

I do have a spare meter (don't ask) but it's a smart meter so if I included it in the line it'd probably cause all kinds of confusion ... and eventually end up in a bill

Having said that, I'd actually LIKE to see how much I was paying for my home charging

I do have a spare meter (don't ask) but it's a smart meter so if I included it in the line it'd probably cause all kinds of confusion ... and eventually end up in a bill
Looking at price per KWh and then looking at charging stats will give you an estimate. If you want exact figures you need a charger that tells you how much it’s delivered to the car or the whole home energy monitors.

The ladder is really nice as that will tell you what other things in your home are using.

I am also in Ontario, on Hydro One. I presume you're saying Tesla is charging you via the credit card they have on file, and not a credit card you have on file with your hydro company, right? I have not had a charge by Tesla for over a month, since I haven't been using a Supercharger in that time (I just checked my hydro and credit card bills to be sure), but I have had my Wall Charger installed for 3 months.

Rocky_H post is interesting, but you can check your charges on your app under Account -->Charging (find your Account options under the little person icon in the upper right corner).

Last edited:
I am also in Ontario, on Hydro One. I presume you're saying Tesla is charging you via the credit card they have on file, and not a credit card you have on file with your hydro company, right? I have not had a charge by Tesla for over a month, since I haven't been using a Supercharger in that time (I just checked my hydro and credit card bills to be sure), but I have had my Wall Charger installed for 3 months.

Rocky_H post is interesting, but you can check your charges on your app under Account -->Charging (find your Account options under the little person icon in the upper right corner).
Even if @Rocky_H's hypothesis is correct, the charges shouldn't be going to Tesla, they should be going to the owner of the charger, unless it’s being passed through.

Last edited: