Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging - What do I need to do/buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By a third part you could use a "Dryer buddy" search it on bsaelectronics, It's basically an outlet splitter that switches between your dryer and EV charger and you can choose the connections specific to your need.
I forgot to mention that you'll need to "fiddle" with the charge settings on your car since Tesla doesn't sell a 10-30 adapter the car wont limit the current to 24A automatically.
Anyways you'll need to change the settings only one (or sometimes more depending on the SW update)

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I'm having a new home built and it's just about finished. The Builder wanted too much for the plug install so I will have it done after the fact (and when I'm sure I'm ordering an electric car). My Box is in an unfinished area of my basement and I have a clear path along a beam to the garage (~20'), and an opening I marked during the build to show where to drill through. The breaker box isn't full and the Construction Manager said I should have close to 100 open.

Do you mind if I ask how much the builder wanted for it? I just had a home built (closed on Monday) and had the builder install a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug for $250. It seemed reasonable compared to the $500-$1000 range I've seen people here throw around for adding to an existing home.

I forgot to mention that you'll need to "fiddle" with the charge settings on your car since Tesla doesn't sell a 10-30 adapter the car wont limit the current to 24A automatically.
Anyways you'll need to change the settings only one (or sometimes more depending on the SW update)
Yes Tesla does sell the 10-30 adapter:
Model S/X NEMA Adapter

• Helpful
Reactions: MarioOrtegon
I like this setup: Wall Connector vs Mobile charger

img_3843-jpg.221111

I'm debating between staying with the 120V outlet, installing a 14-50, or a Tesla wall charger. I have short commute so 120V is probably fine. The 14-50 would be the most versatile but both 5-15 an 14-50 options mean I have to leave the UMC out in the garage for everyday use, or I would have to pack it up everyday if I also want it in my car, or buy an extra UMC.

The wall charger would alleviate that but I can't use it with any other EV in the future. But then again what other EV are there in the future besides Tesla?

BTW I would consider at least 60A circuit breaker, giving the option to install the Tesla wall charger later and get 48A (80% rated capacity of the circuit). M3 doesn't need it at this moment, the long range charges at 40A, so the 14-50 would just be enough for it, so this would be for future proof. Someone has even suggested putting in a 100A circuit breaker, so you have room for 2 EVs in the future.

If you have to run new cabling, or add circuit breakers, I would definitely go as high on amperage as possible for the same amount of work.

How short is your commute? If you are home 8 or 9 hours a night, you can get 30 or so miles daily on just the 120 and be ready to go in the morning.

A friendly electrician is the key, even if its a friend of a friend. When you tell an electrician you want to install a 14-50, he is going to try and get 50 amps to it. The key is getting 220v. I had an issue getting wiring to my garage. Couldn't fit 6thhn in existing conduit but could get some 10's in there. Fed the 14-50 with a 30a breaker and dialed the Tesla down to charge at 22amps. Still get around 18mph and charge from 11pm til morning. Unless I run the battery way down its rare I don't have a full charge in the morning.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
A friendly electrician is the key, even if its a friend of a friend. When you tell an electrician you want to install a 14-50, he is going to try and get 50 amps to it. The key is getting 220v. I had an issue getting wiring to my garage. Couldn't fit 6thhn in existing conduit but could get some 10's in there. Fed the 14-50 with a 30a breaker and dialed the Tesla down to charge at 22amps. Still get around 18mph and charge from 11pm til morning. Unless I run the battery way down its rare I don't have a full charge in the morning.

I don't think the config you are describing meets code and I wouldn't recommend it. A 14-50 outlet implies there is 50A capacity behind it. Someday, perhaps after you have sold the house, someone will plug into the 14-50 expecting a 50 amp service and pop the breaker. Then they will change the breaking not realizing the wire doesn't have the capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Adeon
I don't think the config you are describing meets code and I wouldn't recommend it. A 14-50 outlet implies there is 50A capacity behind it. Someday, perhaps after you have sold the house, someone will plug into the 14-50 expecting a 50 amp service and pop the breaker. Then they will change the breaking not realizing the wire doesn't have the capacity.

This!!!

Have the underworld 14-50 replaced wit a 14-30 or 10-30 and buy the proper adapter from Tesla.

Model S/X NEMA Adapter
Thanks for the link, however I can't buy the 10-30 adapter on that page.(still I can buy the 5-15, 14-50 and 5-20 but not the rest)
have you tried to add the adapter to your cart?

As far as I know they don't sell the 10-30 adapter since more than a year ago, perhaps this is just an option on the webpage that wasn't removed or maybe they don't have inventory at this time.

The wall charger would alleviate that but I can't use it with any other EV in the future. But then again what other EV are there in the future besides Tesla?

BTW I would consider at least 60A circuit breaker, giving the option to install the Tesla wall charger later and get 48A (80% rated capacity of the circuit). M3 doesn't need it at this moment, the long range charges at 40A, so the 14-50 would just be enough for it, so this would be for future proof. Someone has even suggested putting in a 100A circuit breaker, so you have room for 2 EVs in the future.
To be clear, you can't install a breaker larger than 50A for a 14-50 outlet. You can upsize the wire for future expansion, but not the breaker (but it's cheap to replace a breaker later). Now if you're talking about a 60 or 100A circuit for a wall connector, that's a different story.

Thanks, that's another good option, with 2 potential considerations: 1) unplugging the J1772 adapter may require some fiddling some controls on the car's screen, and 2) have to be careful picking an EVSE with enough current capacity.
It's not that bad. I charge on a J1772 all the time. Pop the door from the touch screen (or press and hold the trunk button on the fob if you forget to do it while sitting in the car), plug in the adapter and charging cord. Order doesn't matter. When unplugging, you can either hold the adapter and plug with two hands, unplug as a unit, then pull apart, or just yank the handle. If the adapter stays with the car, just grab and pull before the port re-locks. Not that big a deal.

Model S/X NEMA Adapter
It appears to be out of stock, though - clicking "add to cart" doesn't do anything. The new shopping site is a lot worse than it was pre-3 delivery event (not clear what's in stock, no way to specify US vs Canada 14-50, etc). But I agree - @Waiting4M3 should pick up a 10-30 ASAP (if the 3's UMC isn't compatible, you can sell it later).

Worse, the breaker has gone bad and doesn't trip (yep, it does happen) and the house burns down. 14-30 (outlet and adapter) is the way to go.

• Informative
As far as I know they don't sell the 10-30 adapter since more than a year ago, perhaps this is just an option on the webpage that wasn't removed or maybe they don't have inventory at this time.

It came back a month or so ago and worked at that time. But then there was a different photo for each adapter and now it is a single photo/item with pull down options. I would give them a call and see if it is a web bug, inventory shortage, or out of production again.

You should hire a professional. Do not go off someone's suggestion. You can burn your house down with what you said here. Good luck.

• Informative
If I understand correctly, the only "future proofing" that can be done is a heavier wire gauge, correct? The outlet and breaker should match in terms of amperage, but in the future they can both be swapped out together without the hassle of re-running new wire.

• Informative
It appears the Model 3 will come with the same things currently offered with Model S and X:

Standard Equipment
Model S and Model X include the following charging accessories as standard equipment:
  • Mobile Connector (20 feet)
  • Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
  • Adapter for higher power 240 volt outlet (NEMA 14-50)
  • Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)

So to use the tools provided above I need to install a dedicated circuit from my box to my garage (already planning on 6 or 8 gauge on a 50 amp fuse) and then also install a 240V NEMA14-50 outlet (or something similar). Is that it?
If you plan to be a road tripper and have $550 + shipping to spend, then just buy the Tesla HPWC from their site. If not, then just the 240V 14-50 outlet. Personally, I am prone to forgetting things when I leave for a trip so I will have the wall connector installed so that I can keep the mobile cable in the car at all times. There are also other makers of wall charger setups that would be more adaptable to other brands of EV.

If I understand correctly, the only "future proofing" that can be done is a heavier wire gauge, correct? The outlet and breaker should match in terms of amperage, but in the future they can both be swapped out together without the hassle of re-running new wire.
This is exactly correct. The breaker should match the "weakest link".

In the future, the outlet can be replaced with a different type, it can be connected direct to an HPWC, it could even go into a sub-panel.

Document the wire gauge and type carefully if it is hidden behind drywall.

Last edited:
True. Assuming the hardware used can legally support the larger gauge wire.

The 14-50 would be the most versatile but both 5-15 an 14-50 options mean I have to leave the UMC out in the garage for everyday use, or I would have to pack it up everyday if I also want it in my car, or buy an extra UMC.

There's definitely no reason to pack up your UMC each day. I've taken my UMC out of my garage probably about 3 times in the last 4 1/2 years. First, the range is such that you don't normally need to worry about recharging for normal daily driving, and second you don't need it for Superchargers or J1772 chargers, which covers about 98% off all charging away from home. About the only time to bring it is for backroad trips where you might want to do emergency charging at a campground or overnight charging from a normal outlet (although even there you're only going to get about 25-30 miles of range even overnight, I have never even bothered plugging in if the only available outlet is 120v).

There's definitely no reason to pack up your UMC each day. I've taken my UMC out of my garage probably about 3 times in the last 4 1/2 years. First, the range is such that you don't normally need to worry about recharging for normal daily driving, and second you don't need it for Superchargers or J1772 chargers, which covers about 98% off all charging away from home. About the only time to bring it is for backroad trips where you might want to do emergency charging at a campground or overnight charging from a normal outlet (although even there you're only going to get about 25-30 miles of range even overnight, I have never even bothered plugging in if the only available outlet is 120v).
I was going to add a "like" to above, but I also want to add that this is exactly how I operate as well. I brought the portable adapter once on a trip. Didn't use it at all.

Only time I plan on bringing anywhere is if I go to family and I know they have an outlet.