Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging with Tesla Wall unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on your onboard charger, you're limited to either 32A or 48A for new cars, or possibly 40A, 72A, or 80A for older cars. The wall connector also has an internal setting, up to 80A, but that needs to be set based on the breaker and wiring that is feeding it. (You're only supposed to charge at 80% of the breaker rating, so to achieve 32A, for instance, you need to be on a 40A breaker.) See: Wall Connector

Additionally, the car will throttle the charge rate if it detects too big of a voltage drop, which could be caused by a bad connection, long wire run, or undersized wiring. You should be able to tell if that is the case by looking at the the screen to see if the actual charge amperage is less than the max. (Both numbers should be shown.)

Reactions: jlv1 and BrokerDon
What markb1 said. What is the amperage of the circuit? Is the wall charger configured correctly? Are the wires the right size and length? Is the car setting at max for your onboard AC-DC inverter?

Ditto on the circuit. As an example, I had a 240v outlet on a 50 amp circuit that charged my M3 at 32mph and a 2018 X 75D at 22 mph. An electrician installed the wall connector to replace that and put in a 60 amp circuit. That added 10mph to each (42 on the M3 and 32 on the MX)

Wall charger on a 60Amp circuit for my M3 gets 48A charging with 40miles/hr. Unsure of Mx and MS charging rates, but yours seems low to me. Have you access to any other NEMA plus or chargers like ChargePoint to guage how they do? They're usually at 50Amp cicruits I think. SO when I'm on one instead of the 40mph I get at home, I get closer to 30mph from those mall garage chargers.

Does this question mean you didn’t RTFM before installing it? And why would you buy a Wall Connector if you only have a 50A circuit? Just use a 14-50 outlet and plug in the UMC.

I have a 50 AMP circuit and HPWC. The HPWC is more convenient than the UMC and I know the UMC is always in the Frunk. Also, I could increase the amps to 60 with a circuit breaker change. But with my 25 miles/day driving, charging speed is not an issue.;)