Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird... I would have expected the car to curtail charging before that would have happened. Did you get any error messages? The 14-50 is also supposed to have a thermal fuse that should have prevented that; It does look like it was a loose wire inside the 14-50. How long ago was that wired?
The gen 1 evse adaptors do not have a thermal sensor.

I also agree loose wire.

Not a sensor but a fuse.... but that's probably more to prevent a fire than some melting... I have a Gen 1; There was a recall after the garage fire in CA.

I have heard the Gen 2 units have an actual temp sensor in the end of the adapter cable and will stop charging or reduce the rate if it gets too hot. Is this actually true though? Seems like this failure is *exactly* what that sensor is intended to avoid.

Glad it did not cause a fire!

Not a sensor but a fuse.... but that's probably more to prevent a fire than some melting... I have a Gen 1; There was a recall after the garage fire in CA.
These receptacles have no fuses. Also fuses do not prevent overheating, only overload. If contact is bad it may get pretty hot and melt insulation. I would not recommend plug and unplug NEMA 14-50 often, it will wear out contacts.

I would want to know why his happened as well. Is a wire loose on the back side of that receptacle? When swapping the receptacle I would make sure the wire going into it is not damaged.

Then I would contact Tesla and see if they will replace that adapter for you. I am not sure what caused the damage, but I doubt they would want you using a potentially damaged unit. Way cheaper for them to give you a new one then deal with a lawsuit when your house burns down.

Though I do wonder if they still make the UMC Gen 1 adapters? I have not checked the web site since I have a gen 2.

I can probably open up the plug, but wanted to check with an electrician first, and couldn't find one over the weekend :-(

I am not sure, but BestHand's scenario of pulling the plug mistakenly makes sense. Never knew that was a thing though

Weird... I would have expected the car to curtail charging before that would have happened. Did you get any error messages? The 14-50 is also supposed to have a thermal fuse that should have prevented that; It does look like it was a loose wire inside the 14-50. How long ago was that wired?

It was wired around 5 months ago. Didn't have any issues until a week ago, and the adaptor was just stuck during the last charge. That's a good thing