Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an overnight visitor last night that was big, blue, very quiet and only asked for a few kWh as a bedtime snack.

As part of the charger validation program the Sydney Model S was dropped off by Mitchell last night and picked up again this morning. The car picked up about 130kms of range as was set to only charge at 10A from the car screen even though wall connector was set to 32A.

I had another nice overnight visitor - EV03 (Red) with both HPWC and car set to charge at 240v/40A, which was successful. Apparently I've got one of the newer HPWCs installed just yesterday too. The wiring is 'cleaner'.

Oh, and as I'm in an apartment block, I spent the evening answering questions from residents about how awesome the car is. Too bad I couldn't pop the frunk.

Now we wait.... and wait.

In regards to the apartment: we ran a new circuit from the MDF room that connects into my existing supply. Plus also have a new by-law that sets up rules for this and future installs. In my building this is pretty easy as we each have our own car spots and the Exec Committee is pretty proactive.

Hi Victorians,

I have just changed my home power company from AGL to Powershop. Powershop are owned by the same people that own a SA windfarm. I was alerted to this company by Getup who are putting pressure on the mainstream power companies who want to scrap the Renewable Energy Target.

Like for like I save $163 – or I can go totally green and still pay about the same as AGL.

My calculations follow – this is my actual usage from my last bill.

KWH
AGL
Powershop anytime
Peak
$0.25
$253.21
$0.20
$203.21
Peak Next
$0.26
$553.01
$0.20
$425.11
Total Usage

$806.23

$628.32

20%
Discount
-$161.25
20%
-$125.66
Plus Supply
Charge (days)
$0.98
$0.906
$0.91
$83.92
TOTAL

$735.58

$586.58

PLUS
10%
GST
$73.56
10%
$58.66
NETT
$809.14
$645.24
Savings

$163.90
Green Surcharge adds

$0.0495

$157.80
Powershop have a Peak/Off-peak rate. However you have to have over 40% of your usage between the hours of 11:00 pm and 7:00 am to make this worthwhile.

They also have a controlled load rate of (after discount) or 11.63 c/kwh. Not sure how this would work with the Tesla.

Cheers
David

Yeah, Powershop are great! I've been using them since late last year, love the transparency in the pricing, ability to pre-purchase power at reduced rates and the iPhone app / website that lets me monitor my daily usage.

Good work David and salamagd.

For any Victorians who are thinking of changing - JET Charge and Powershop are just finalising a deal that will give Tesla owners more savings if you switch - stay tuned :D

Some photographs of my installed wall connector. This is the second one my electrician has installed on the Gold Coast. He found for me some 'Tesla' branded electrical accessories - obviously not Tesla Motors but a bit of fun nonetheless.

Wall Connector 1.jpg
Wall Connector 2.jpg
Wall Connector 3.jpg
Wall Connector 4.jpg