Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a newbie to EVs, its a minefield when it comes to home charging. I've had a browse through past posts with regards to home chargers and I'm still a bit confused.

I'm thinking of getting a pod-point charger installed but I was wondering what the point of the Tesla Mobile Connector is?

Do people use that as a home charger and if so how?

Thanks for all the help so far when it came to my order :)

Hi @E60MKF ,

Yes, the Tesla Mobile Connector can be used as a home charger. If you choose that route, you should get a single phase (aka blue) commando socket installed to get the maximum charge rate possible from the mobile connector. You should get similar charging rates from the mobile connector + blue commando socket as you would from a dedicated wall mounted EVSE.

The difference between the two options really comes down to convenience.
  • can you leave the mobile connector in-place permanently, or will you need to put it away every time you charge?
  • do you want the mobile connector in your car when you're travelling, 'just in case'?
If the answer to either the above means you're going to be setting up the connector every time you charge, you may find it simpler to install a wall EVSE so you can plug in simply every day.

I went with a wall connector because I park my car on the driveway (won't fit in my garage), and it was just as easy, safer, and more convenient to fit a wall connector on the outside of my garage rather than a commando socket.

There are plenty of posts in the Model S Battery and Charging subforum showing how owners have set-up their mobile connectors. Bike bottle cages seem to be a common way to hold the connector on a convenient wall. All the references you'll see to NEMA 14-50 sockets is relevant to the US only.

For either option, you'll need a 32A capable service (probably 40A rated) on a dedicated breaker. If that means significant changes to your house wiring, it won't be covered in the advertised OLEV sponsored costs for chargers. For me, the cost of the wall unit ended up being a relatively minor part of the install cost as I needed split tails from my meter, new underground wiring from my meter to my garage and a small consumer unit in the garage itself. Cost me about £1k in parts and labour before the cost of the charger was considered. I dug the trench from the meter to my garage myself (15m).

• Helpful
Reactions: acarlos1000
I have a tethered connection (with Tesla plug on the end) - so I can just plug in when I get home, and not have to worry about getting the cable out of the car - and storing it in the car wet / whatever (although that would not be a problem for charging inside a garage).

I got my Sparky to put in a regular blue commando socket at the same time, for any visiting EVs.

Maybe worth considering:

I have the UMC in the car 'just in case' ... also a CHAdeMO adaptor. Never used either ... so leaving the UMC at home would be fine - I could take it when I know I will need it.

Reactions: tonyj01
@WannabeOwner , is your commando socket on an isolator? Lots of young families around me, and I was a bit concerned about curious small fingers poking around live connections, which is why I didn't install one. You're making me rethink now...

@E60MKF, I should have mentioned that I think my install costs were definitely on the high side. Is cheaper for most people, I think.

Thanks for all the help!

I'm thinking of going for the EO or PodPoint charger or maybe Rolec.

EO are a new company who are meant to have very good customer service

That being said, I heard the same about Tesla but the customer service has been beyond awful

Thanks for all your help! I'm kind of tempted to buy the type 2 to type 2 cable which allows the port door to be opened with the button but costs €250 i believe..

If we don't use tesla chargers (I assume tesla charger with the button release stop the car from charging at that point), do we need to tell the car to stop charging before we unplug?

do we need to tell the car to stop charging before we unplug?

If I understand your question correctly then "yes". The plug is "locked" into the car, so that someone cannot unplug it and leave you with only a part-charge.

Alternatives are:

On Dashboard press the "Stop charging" button
Hold key fob near the charging port and press-and-hold the Boot/Trunk button

• Informative
Reactions: Jay Hawk and E60MKF
is your commando socket on an isolator? Lots of young families around me,

For that reason, the wiring regulations require use of an 'interlocked' socket for EV charging - this is a socket combined with an isolator, such that you can only insert/remove the plug with the isolator in the off position.

Commando sockets are otherwise probhibited in "household and similar use" since they don't have shutters over the contacts.

Alternatives are:

On Dashboard press the "Stop charging" button
Hold key fob near the charging port and press-and-hold the Boot/Trunk button

Third option is to have the key in your pocket and press the button on the Tesla-supplied plug before you try to remove it (ie. UMC or Wall Connector, or third-party equivalents such as EV Charge King).
This works well if you approach the car from the front, less well if you approach your parking space from the rear and so you are trying to do the unplug without having walked through a position where the car senses the key and unlocks.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Has anyone got any experience of buying the Tesla Wall Connector? I'm due to take deliver of my MX60 in April and wondering if they're likely to have these in stock at the service centre and how far in advanced I should think of getting it installed at home.

I went to one of their authorised installers and was advised that the Tesla connector is not covered by the Olev grant so I chose a Government Approved Type 2 Charger at less than half the cost all up.

I ordered at the beginning of December and installation is not till the week after next but as I do not get the car until March I was not in a hurry.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I have a Type 2 Chargemaster installed when the going grant gave them away for free, so zero cost for a 7kW home unit, at that time (3 years ago)
It took me that long to finally get a Model S mind, but the charger works fine, if restricted though to 30amps rather than 32amps, this gives me 18/20 mi/hr charge while a 32amps may get 20/22mi/hr charge. (230v x 30amps = 6.9kW)

Thanks culverwood and Dan43 - anyone got any experience of the Tesla one?

I got one, knew it would cost more than a OLEV-granted-one but thought it looks more sexy.

You get the unit itself from your local service centre, you can pick it up or they can courier it out to you - if you go through Tesla's 'recommended installers' they can buy it on your behalf if they have your VIN.

I would suggest you do it all sooner rather than later purely to avoid any unforeseen problems. I had a nasty unforseen surprise of finding out my garage with 100A breaker was hooked up with a 1.55mm^2 thick cable which will only do ~15A, as to maximise the charging rate I had to get some trench digging, paving, etc. re-done to replace this all as I was already pulling around 10A in the garage.

As with other chargers, I get 32A/~220V which equates to ~22-24'ish mi/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: S__B
I got one, knew it would cost more than a OLEV-granted-one but thought it looks more sexy.

You get the unit itself from your local service centre, you can pick it up or they can courier it out to you - if you go through Tesla's 'recommended installers' they can buy it on your behalf if they have your VIN.

I would suggest you do it all sooner rather than later purely to avoid any unforeseen problems. I had a nasty unforseen surprise of finding out my garage with 100A breaker was hooked up with a 1.55mm^2 thick cable which will only do ~15A, as to maximise the charging rate I had to get some trench digging, paving, etc. re-done to replace this all as I was already pulling around 10A in the garage.

As with other chargers, I get 32A/~220V which equates to ~22-24'ish mi/hr.
Thanks slammer - I'll give my service centre a call and get the ball rolling!

Reactions: slammer
IMG_9172.JPG 32amp rcd fuse £6, 5m Cable £20 , clips £2, 32 amp switched interlock 3 pin ip67 £36,ectrician to connect cable to fuse box and sign off £35 + £ 10 paperwork - total spend £109 bargain. Put this in at my parents house on Isle of Wight for visits. You don't have to buy a fancy charger especially for sites you won't charge at all the time. Tesla publish how to for single phase and 3 faze in the U.K. On their website. Switch interlock is from amazon, 6mm cable can be bought by the metre from TLC

• Informative
Reactions: slammer
Tesla charging setup.JPG

Electrician installed 32amp charging circuit including commando, Then took a plug and fly lead to the Tesla charger. If it was very infrequent use, like in a relatives house, I would forgo the charger and use the UMC. The Tesla charger is a well put together unit, much belter than some of the OLEV units like the R...c one. It also has thermal protection, so less likely to overheat and when you get the Model X or Model 3 to go with the S, you can daisy chain them together so no fighting over who charges first.

Reactions: arg
My MX is due end March and I want to have everything ready, but having read all the above im still non the wiser... Duhh... So, by sounds of it I need to establish what power I have in the garage firstly and that may determine set up costs but here's my main question;
I would like to have a tethered lead set up, what's the best option considering cost and the charge rate (which I want to obvisouly be highest possible). Sorry for being probably the thickest person re this question.. And thanks in advance

Hi. OK, I've just gone through all of this, having had my S75D for 2 weeks now and I'll do my best to answer your question simply:

- Currently the cheapest option for a tethered charger is to get one installed via the government grant. I paid £199 all in for one from ChargedEV (the non-tethered version is £149). It's a Rolec unit.

- Your'e most likely to have single phase power in your house, so this will charge at 32Amps/7KW delivering a charge rate of around 20/22 miles per hour.

I have also installed the Tesla wall connector at my office; charges at same rate but looks a bit nicer and has a charge port open button. No grant available for this, around £400 for 7m one direct from Tesla. I paid £200 to have it installed by an electrician due to the distance from the consumer unit; should be cheaper for you.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Reactions: Lowey007
Thanks Manchester... to the point and not over my head.. sounds simple and looked on their site and looks fine for my garage so will be going this route. I'm also considering a charge point at work so may also copy you on the tesla (good looking) charger. Why can you not get a grant on the tesla charger? Ta again