Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery or pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I placed my order on Oct 3rd and selected delivery. I was wondering how different home delivery vs pickup are. Will it affect my delivery time? I don't mind either options.

I took home delivery last December with my Model 3, and am doing so again with Model Y. If I lived closer to a delivery center I think I would prefer picking it up, but Decatur is a day's ride for me with an overnight stay as well. You will get the car sooner if you meet it at the delivery center, but hard to beat the convenience of a home delivery.

I took home delivery last December with my Model 3, and am doing so again with Model Y. If I lived closer to a delivery center I think I would prefer picking it up, but Decatur is a day's ride for me with an overnight stay as well. You will get the car sooner if you meet it at the delivery center, but hard to beat the convenience of a home delivery.

You just answered my question. I live about five hours from the delivery center in San Antonio, and therefore chose home delivery. I ordered back on September 5 - and have not heard a word. As I watched other Texas buyers order well after I did and have already taken delivery, I wondered if my delivery option was the hold up.

Now my decision is whether I swallow hard and change to pickup, or stick with home delivery.

You just answered my question. I live about five hours from the delivery center in San Antonio, and therefore chose home delivery. I ordered back on September 5 - and have not heard a word. As I watched other Texas buyers order well after I did and have already taken delivery, I wondered if my delivery option was the hold up.

Now my decision is whether I swallow hard and change to pickup, or stick with home delivery.
I live 262 miles from the nearest location, when I placed the order they told me since I was over 250 miles away, they would do home delivery. After I got my VIN, I called and I was told home delivery was not an option... Although I need to leave my house at 7 am, for a noon pickup, I think it will be the better way to go in case there are issues.

If you choose Tesla home delivery this is a touchless process. You do not even need to be home; the Tesla delivery team will leave the vehicle on your driveway, unlocked, with the key cards in a wallet inside the trunk or hatch area. The Tesla delivery team will also provide the paperwork you need to sign and return to Tesla via FedEx Letter envelope (this can also include a cashier's check with your final payment.) With touchless home delivery I don't believe you can outright reject the vehicle but as always you have seven business days to return the car to Tesla for any reason. As far as the Tesla App, with home delivery you just log out of your Tesla account, log back into your account via the app and your vehicle model and VIN should appear within the app.

I live 262 miles from the nearest location, when I placed the order they told me since I was over 250 miles away, they would do home delivery. After I got my VIN, I called and I was told home delivery was not an option... Although I need to leave my house at 7 am, for a noon pickup, I think it will be the better way to go in case there are issues.

Interesting. I emailed the same guy who gave me a demonstration drive back in March. He said he looked up my order number (the one that begins with RN) and said most likely, I would hear something around October 14. I also asked him point blank if I could decline a car if I chose home delivery, and he said yes.

I think I will give the process until October 16,and if I still haven't heard anything, I'll opt for pickup. It's only a four hour drive, but with my wife having a medical condition, I'd hate to wake her at 6am so we could get on the road by eight. Might just make it an overnight stay.

Let us know when you drive to the delivery place to pick up your car and tell us if everything went alright.

I guess home delivery really depends. At least in CA Tesla employees were driving the cars to the owners and literally hopping in an Uber to go back to fremont. You never actually had an opportunity to inspect the car, much less "decline" the car because home deliveries won't happen until you actually pay for the car in advance.

YMMV

I received my MY in June in Maryland, did not pay in advance. I informed the delivery team that I would be paying the amount due via a cashier's check upon delivery. Due to a cancellation of another delivery the team was able to deliver my Model Y to my home on a Sunday. I placed the cashier's check along with the signed Tesla paperwork in a pre-addressed FedEx Envelope, dropped this off at a local FedEx/Kinko's on Monday. I don't think Tesla was too concerned about the vehicle, they could always track its location, remotely disable the vehicle if there was any suspicion of theft or fraud. Tesla prefers that payment be made via automated clearing house (ACH) transaction with your bank account. ACH debit fraud, something I experienced in 2019, is very real and a royal PITA to undo. The only way to stop someone who has your checking or savings account information and bank routing information from continuing this fraud is to close the affected account. That is why I insisted I would pay via a cashier's check.

Last edited:
I need to decide the same. Advisor says I'll get a VIN this week. He suggested going to Mount Kisco if I wanted the car in October as he has been seeing 3+ week delays with deliveries to home. Not sure why but trucks must be busy.

I have a trade in so I could just drive it there but it is 300+ miles for me. But I don't mind road trips. Sounds like we can schedule the day/time and hopefully it sticks... Need to stay overnight though post delivery - don't feel like driving all of that in one day.

Maybe it's better to pick up in case their our issues and we need to walk (drive) away from the deal. I waived my right to return the vehicle within 7 days as I did not want to give up the $2K NYS rebate. I'm OK with minor issues though that can be corrected - I might be less picky than some but have to say my last three Ford's have never been in the shop for a repair, let alone and issues at delivery.