Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Delivery Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone go the home delivery route? I'm 15 minutes from the local SC but the appointment I got offered was a home delivery. Seems like that's no big deal but anything to be aware of? I also have a trade-in. Assume they'll just show up in my car and drive away in my trade? Or, will they be hauling the cars on a flat bed? Maybe it could be either?

I arranged for touchless home delivery back in June. You don't need to be at home when they deliver the vehicle (but someone should probably be there.) First the pace car shows up (just kidding.) A Tesla employee showed up in another Tesla vehicle about 3 minutes before my vehicle was driven onto my driveway. We were all wearing masks, the Tesla employees were wearing gloves.

Since I was there to meet the Tesla driver they handed me the card wallet containing the two key cards. Otherwise they will leave the card wallet with the key cards inside the hatch storage area. The paperwork will be inside the vehicle. Since you are trading there may be more steps, paperwork involved. The temporary paper license plate tag was already attached to the rear plate holder. My Model Y was delivered with a 30% state of charge so you should be prepared to plug in your new Tesla and start charging soon after accepting delivery.

The Tesla delivery team members do not stick around to show you around the vehicle or even help you pair your phone. There are a series of short videos on the Tesla site that will show you how to pair your phone, operate the vehicle.

Since I accepted delivery on a Sunday I was provided with a FedEx envelope for returning the signed paperwork. I dropped off the signed paperwork, including my cashier's check (my chosen form of payment) at FedEx/Kinkos the next day. I received my permanent license plate tags in the mail about two weeks later.

You may need to sign out of your Tesla account (on the Tesla phone app) and sign back in before the Tesla vehicle appears on your phone app. Once your vehicle appears in the app confirm that the VIN is correct. You can immediately proceed with pairing your phone.

If you note any issues with the vehicle use your phone to take photos. You will communicate to the Service Center using the phone app to schedule a service appointment (depending on what type of service may be required Tesla may send a Mobile Service Technician to your home or place of work.) Upload the photos when you submit the request for a service appointment, along with a brief but detailed list of any issues, concerns you have for the Service Center.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with the SC and they weren't sure why I was given a home delivery since I have a trade-in. They kept my current appointment and just said to come to the SC instead. I'm a little worried that it will get forgotten if it isn't changed in the system, but the delivery date is the 29th so there's time to get it all worked out and confirmed.