Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery, yea or nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I live 15 miles away from Fremont factory and just received an email to schedule home delivery. Can anyone who's done it recently share some experience? I searched up the forum and only saw a single-reply-thread from June, the experience described was rushed, I would much prefer to be able to inspect the car thoroughly and do some road test before handing over my hard-earned $$..

Incidentally I also received the "Delivery Experience" invitation email (not sure what happened to that thread), wondering if I should do that instead.

Feedbacks / comments appreciated.

you will not be allowed a road test before taking ownership of the vehicle. Take the home delivery, your odds of having a good car are greater than not and you don't have to worry about the logistics of getting to the delivery center.

but the thought of having somebody else driving it for a good portion before you actually do :O

Somebody always drive it before you do. If it was delivered at the Delivery Center, it would be driven by someone to the truck, off the truck at the delivery center, drive into back area for checkout, drive to the delivery room just before delivery. If it was to delivery to your home, it would be driven to the truck, off the truck to your driveway and that's it. So it is actually less driving with home delivery!

I searched up the forum and only saw a single-reply-thread from June, the experience described was rushed, I would much prefer to be able to inspect the car thoroughly and do some road test before handing over my hard-earned $$..
You can always test drive a model 3 at the Gallery. If you want the traditional stealership experience - pick your car from 100 available on the lot, test drive the car you selected while the "on unemployment if not for this job" person tells you lies, haggle over the price, and spend a day of your life in frustration - then a Tesla s not for you. For those who take possession with the Tesla model of delivery, the vast, VAST majority find it a rewarding experience.

So... I live 15 miles away from Fremont factory and just received an email to schedule home delivery. Can anyone who's done it recently share some experience? I searched up the forum and only saw a single-reply-thread from June, the experience described was rushed, I would much prefer to be able to inspect the car thoroughly and do some road test before handing over my hard-earned $$..

Incidentally I also received the "Delivery Experience" invitation email (not sure what happened to that thread), wondering if I should do that instead.

Feedbacks / comments appreciated.
...dont do it..had many of issues needed to be noted and repaired on the spot..i already felt pressure to sign the documents at the delivery center after the hour of looking over the car..imagine how you would feel with someone at your house and they have other possible deliveries..

Can you actually change from Home Delivery to a delivery center? My friend could only pick Home Delivery when ordering online and by the time he was notified of the delivery window, he can't change it. He was within 20 miles of 2 different delivery centers.

hqubic - I posted the below yesterday on the Tesla website forum. In short I had an awesome at home delivery experience that made the overall process even more impressive than having to go sit in a delivery center.

Side note - When I was scheduling my delivery date, guy told me if I opted to switch from home delivery (only option provided when I placed the order) to pickup at Fremont or another delivery center, I would have to be rematched with another car. Seems like they truck up cars from the factory to the city and won’t unnecessarily truck them somewhere else since they probably have multiple same orders in the SF area. Assume this will change in the future but for now demand is high and supply is low.

———

Had an excellent at home delivery experience today (downtown SF). Guy was from Tesla and very knowledgeable. We spoke before he drove my car over from the holding spot Tesla has at pier 80. He inspected the car before driving it over and shot over a picture of the one mark he saw on the car (small white scratch mark I’m going to take the car into service to fix). We spent all the time I wanted looking around the car and getting my phone paired and other items set up. Afterwards we signed the docs for a few minutes.

I was a little nervous that the experience would feel rushed. Happy to report that wasn’t the case. Guy even had protective covers over his shoes while he was beinging the car to me. Looking forward to seeing how the service appointments goes for the small blemish. Hopefully just as smooth as the delivery was!

hqubic - I posted the below yesterday on the Tesla website forum. In short I had an awesome at home delivery experience that made the overall process even more impressive than having to go sit in a delivery center.

Side note - When I was scheduling my delivery date, guy told me if I opted to switch from home delivery (only option provided when I placed the order) to pickup at Fremont or another delivery center, I would have to be rematched with another car. Seems like they truck up cars from the factory to the city and won’t unnecessarily truck them somewhere else since they probably have multiple same orders in the SF area. Assume this will change in the future but for now demand is high and supply is low.

———

Had an excellent at home delivery experience today (downtown SF). Guy was from Tesla and very knowledgeable. We spoke before he drove my car over from the holding spot Tesla has at pier 80. He inspected the car before driving it over and shot over a picture of the one mark he saw on the car (small white scratch mark I’m going to take the car into service to fix). We spent all the time I wanted looking around the car and getting my phone paired and other items set up. Afterwards we signed the docs for a few minutes.

I was a little nervous that the experience would feel rushed. Happy to report that wasn’t the case. Guy even had protective covers over his shoes while he was beinging the car to me. Looking forward to seeing how the service appointments goes for the small blemish. Hopefully just as smooth as the delivery was!

Glad to hear this... I have a home delivery scheduled for tomorrow. I was afraid they'd be driving the car all the way from Fremont, but if it's coming from Pier 80, that sounds much better. My delivery advisor didn't mention re-matching though and didn't really answer whether my car was coming from Fremont or not, only that delivery would be delayed by a few days if I chose to pick up at the delivery center.

How did you get in touch with the Tesla rep who delivered your car? Do they reach out to you on the day of delivery?

I received my car via home delivery and would do it again. I wrote a bit about it in this post:

Home Delivery

Thanks, somehow I missed that in my search, feeling much better about home delivery after reading through that thread and the replies here (if I'm counting right, 5 yea and 3 nays :D). I'll be sure to pay with cashier check and be mindful about not being pressured to rush through the delivery. Thanks all.

Glad to hear this... I have a home delivery scheduled for tomorrow. I was afraid they'd be driving the car all the way from Fremont, but if it's coming from Pier 80, that sounds much better. My delivery advisor didn't mention re-matching though and didn't really answer whether my car was coming from Fremont or not, only that delivery would be delayed by a few days if I chose to pick up at the delivery center.

How did you get in touch with the Tesla rep who delivered your car? Do they reach out to you on the day of delivery?

Yeah the Tesla guy who was delivering the car called me to confirm I was ready to take delivery during the time window I had chosen before he went to the Pier where the car was. He said the purpose of the call was to set expectations around what we would cover, and he asked if I had any special requests for what I wanted to cover. When he left the pier he told me his eta and told me to watch him drive over in the app since he had just turned on mobile access. When he got to my building he called to let me know he was there.

One tip - I told him to thoroughly inspect the car inside and out before he drove the car over and take pictures and text them to me if any marks, issues, etc. I requested this as a way to streamline the delivery process when he got here. Real intention was to get another set of eyes on the car and allow me to stop him from driving the car to me if there were any major issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: thewishmaster