Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home energy gateway login

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Configuring a new router, I stumbled across an IP address I didn't recognise. Lo and behold, this appeared in my browser:

Screenshot 2020-12-11 172004.jpg

It seems to be a way to configure the Gateway which we had installed with the Powerwall 2. For those not in the know, the Gateway is meant to prevent the house losing power when the grid does.

The links below give me the option of logging in as an engineer or customer. After failing a number of times to log in, I found this page on the web and was able to log in following those instructions.

There aren't many options in there. You can see a summary of your system and print that out... mostly tech data, serial numbers, software version etc. But the network option is absolutely vital. Had I not happened upon this, our Gateway would have had a problem as we've just changed our SSID and password for our router and the Gateway was configured to the old one. I've thus been able to update it to the new one. I assume it needs a web connection for software updates and remote access by engineers for troubleshooting etc. The installer told me nothing about this at all.

Anyway, posting it here just in case it helps anyone else.

Thank you for the heads up.
Surely the gateway was connected to the Wi-Fi otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to connect to it?

My router is in the garage, so I’ve actually had an Ethernet cable run to the gateway, as I don’t trust Wi-Fi for anything infrastructure.

(I wish I knew how to log on as the installer but I think that is tiger country, I would probably break something)

PS: it also needs a permanent internet connection for you to be able to access it from the Tesla app

it was connected to wifi... the old SSID was still active, I was in the old router messing with settings before finally unplugging it for good. That's when I noticed it.

I assumed the powerwall was what connected to the app bearing in mind that the Gateway is an optional extra.

Oooooh! I didn’t know it was optional? I thought the gateway was the “brains” of the whole thing, moving power between solar, home, batteries and grid...
The gateway can be connected via ethernet, wi-fi and cellular. Ours defaults to ethernet but we also configured wif-fi. Tesla configured the cellular option and that option is automatically used if your home network goes down.

Reactions: X-pilot
I’m not sure that the gateway is optional. Does it not handle the entire management of the Powerwall system?
I had a gateway 1 supplied with my first PW. When the second was installed it was replaced with a backup gateway 2 which keeps everything working if there’s a power cut.

the backup is the optional bit... you're right that the gateway is included in a powerwall system. I didn't realise that. Turns out that you can choose whether you want the gateway to also allow you to power the house during a grid outage or not.... for a price.

Or, as Tesla put it

When the optional internal panelboard is installed, the Backup Gateway 2 can also function as a load center.

the backup is the optional bit... you're right that the gateway is included in a powerwall system. I didn't realise that. Turns out that you can choose whether you want the gateway to also allow you to power the house during a grid outage or not.... for a price.

Or, as Tesla put it
When you open the very nice glass door on the GW2 you’re faced with a black plastic panel covering 99%of the gubbins inside.
Surprised there isn’t a label “nothing to see here” :D