Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home EV Charger install Vancouver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I’m new to the Tesla family (took delivery of our Model Y yesterday!) and we’re looking into installing a wall charger.

I was going to reach out to @5abi but realized I don’t really know what I need done. I think the Model Y can take a max amperage of 32. My panel has a two “Main/Principal” switches that are connected together, both labeled with “100”, we have a basement suite sub panel. I’ve attached a picture.

we only have 3 prong 120v in the garage and plan to get the Tesla Wall Connector.

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• 635A3068-9CF9-4EEF-B709-A62FA60B9F63.jpeg
    635A3068-9CF9-4EEF-B709-A62FA60B9F63.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 135
Model Y's can take 48A, so you need a 60A breaker. You could artificially lower it if need be in the charge menu. You would need to know what your current load is but I suspect not much if you're charging overnight, but it depends on what's downstairs (basement suite with a stove or a dryer?)
Yeah I would definitely set it to charge overnight. Downstairs has washer, dryer, gas stove.

What do you mean I’d have to artificially lower it? Did you mean my breaker is under powered because I thought the picture I took indicated my breaker was 100A or 200A. Sorry, I don’t have a lot of experience with home electrical systems.

Yeah I would definitely set it to charge overnight. Downstairs has washer, dryer, gas stove.

What do you mean I’d have to artificially lower it? Did you mean my breaker is under powered because I thought the picture I took indicated my breaker was 100A or 200A. Sorry, I don’t have a lot of experience with home electrical systems.
In the charging screen there's a setting that can set the maximum amps the car will pull. And electrician will tell you what your current load is.

Last edited:
Looking for quotes for permitted install into a strata unit in Maple ridge.
I contacted the electrician recommended by 5abi but the guy never bothered to return my voice mails. Ended up finding a licensed electrician on craigslist that does a lot of EV chargers and 240v outlet installs. Very reasonable rate as some electricians I got quotes from charge an arm and a leg ($1300+) and more for permit application which is required by my strata. Some even said my 5 year old townhome is underpowered and needs some EV power management unit for $2200+ 🙄 If anyone needs a contact please pm me. In the end I paid $300 (materials/installation)+ $250 (permit application) +GST. It took him about 2 hours from start to finish and he even installed a little cable holder I bought from aliexpress on the wall and hung the cord around it for me to tidying everything up.

I contacted the electrician recommended by 5abi but the guy never bothered to return my voice mails. Ended up finding a licensed electrician on craigslist that does a lot of EV chargers and 240v outlet installs. Very reasonable rate as some electricians I got quotes from charge an arm and a leg ($1300+) and more for permit application which is required by my strata. Some even said my 5 year old townhome is underpowered and needs some EV power management unit for $2200+ 🙄 If anyone needs a contact please pm me. In the end I paid $300 (materials/installation)+ $250 (permit application) +GST. It took him about 2 hours from start to finish and he even installed a little cable holder I bought from aliexpress on the wall and hung the cord around it for me to tidying everything up.
Can I get their contact info too please?