TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Home EV charging in apartment block complex carparks

Discussion in 'Asia and Australia' started by markwj, Apr 14, 2011.

1. sonywong

sonywong Member

Hi, I also live in Happy Valley and just ordered a Model S. Do you have the link of the article by the newspaper? or the do u know the date they published it? thanks.

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I've spent so long looking at this, examining incentives, legislation covering 'selling' of electricity, easements (right of way), deeds of mutual covenants, as well as a bunch of other options. In the end, the only solution I see as workable for Hong Kong is the one that states in the USA are adopting. Specific legislation to give owners of car parks the right to install their own charging station. Making it illegal for management / ownership corporations to block such installations, even crossing common areas.

Nothing else, that I can see (and I've been banging my head against this particular wall for more than 12 months now), works.

Here's what I just wrote to Mr KS Wong, the Secretary of the Environment:

I suspect that this is just not high up on the government's agenda. They are more concerned with commercial transportation, and find it hard to incentivise / support private vehicles. Nevertheless, I plan on continuing to send this message to anyone in government who raises his head up to discuss the issue.

If anyone wants to use my text above, feel free to adapt and send it in yourself.

Perhaps something will come of it, perhaps nothing, but if you don't ask...

3. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Thanks for your hard work. We definitely could use faster and more efficient and free charging points in HK. Shopping mall charges so much for charging, say IFC!!!

4. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I'm following this thread as I'll be installing a charge point in my apartment carpark in Melbourne. I'll be doing it that as long as the rather long and wide Tesla S can fit up the narrow winding carpark ramps! We have a new greek building that also owns 3 community cars (unfortunately not electric) to discourage private car ownership) and has bike storage rooms for each resident so I imagine that there will be any opposition, it's just the practicalities of car access and adequate power access.

5. FishHead

FishHead New Member

I am seeing an increasing number of Teslas in Hong Kong the last few months. Noticeably, charging stations at IFC, where I park are now almost always occupied. Even Supercharger stations are well utilised, especially during weekends. The only feasible long-term solution is for carparks in apartment complexes to be fitted with charging facilities at individual carparks. But this still seems a rarity. Are other Tesla owners in Hong Kong who do not have facilities for charging at home finding it more difficult to charge their cars recently?

6. Chuq

Chuq Member

7. FishHead

FishHead New Member

Mark, has anything changed in Hong Kong after your post in 2013? Still no joy in trying to get at home or at work charging.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The charity I chair charged.hk has been pushing for this for almost two years now. We still feel that legislative support for the right to install a charger in your own car park space is required to support EV adoption in HK. The government has done a great job for new buildings, but almost nothing for existing buildings.

That said, within the past year or so we have finally started to see some success stories (back in 2013 it was universally stories of failure to get approval). A few things have changed:

1. The volume of cars is increasing. Now, owners are finding that they are not along when approaching buildings management / owners committees. If you can get half a dozen other owners in your building to also demand charging, the chances of success are much greater.
    2. In particular for the larger buildings management companies, it is becoming politically incorrect for them to block this. The pressure is building.
    3. Companies such as EV Power and Smart Charge have appeared, and offer packages for residential and commercial buildings. Prices are still high, but this is progress.

So long as the government keeps pushing EVs (especially via incentives), I really feel we have the momentum now to push this.