Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home exterior 240V Downtime Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
So after reading many posts on here my only home charging option is the 240V external outlet with a 30 Ft extension cord.

What are my options or recommendations when NOT charging the Tesla?
Unplug the cord every time?
Or can I have the electrician add an On/OFF switch?

Thanks

Flip the breaker?

However:

“Circuit breakers are designed as circuit protective devices. They are_not intended for use as everyday switches. Dependent on load when operated a circuit breaker should tolerate 50 - 100 operations after which you may be in trouble.”

This means replacing the breaker at a cost of about $100 since you should be using a GFIC breaker.

240V outlets are also not designed to be unplugged and plugged on a regular basis, so best not to unplug from the outlet all of the time. You will likely need to replace the extension cord every so often, again because the outlet end will become worn.

As to a switch, I guess my first question is why? Unless you think someone Is going to steal your power, or the extension cord, just put a mount on the side of the house for the extension cord.

Reactions: SWIPE
Circuit breakers are not designed for constant On/Off cycling. I would unplug the extension cord, store the extension cord where it won't get wet. I would do the same with the Tesla Moibile Connector. Your outdoor 240V receptacle may need to be replaced every few years due to plugging and unplugging, exposure to the elements. Regularly inspect the extension cord for any sign of damage.

Since you will be regularly plugging and unplugging the extension cord into the 240V receptacle be sure to use a GFCI receptacle or GFCI circuit breaker to minimize the chance of electrocution when plugging or unplugging the extension cord. The GFCI is now required for all EV charging circuits that terminate at receptacles.

240 volt circuits get a bit of a bad rap in the US. In most of the world, every extension cord is 200+ volts.

I have a 20a 240v circuit running over a 50 ft extension, to a 16A EVSE. I'd suggest using a GFCI breaker. And make the connection in a "weatherproof extension cord connection box".

Hello,
So after reading many posts on here my only home charging option is the 240V external outlet with a 30 Ft extension cord.

What are my options or recommendations when NOT charging the Tesla?

Thanks
Why not get the Tesla pedestal outdoor charger?

Reactions: ATPMSD
Why not get the Tesla pedestal outdoor charger?

Or maybe, you know, a $30 post!

I assume OP has some landscaping or driveway he doesn't want to rip up or dig through, or just doesn't want an HPWC hanging out by the road with its light all shiny and welcoming.

Or maybe, you know, a $30 post!

I assume OP has some landscaping or driveway he doesn't want to rip up or dig through, or just doesn't want an HPWC hanging out by the road with its light all shiny and welcoming.
If there is going to be an external outlet, it’s not much different as either way it has to be installed somewhere. Even if someone notices the light shining, there is access control. So they can’t use it anyway as long as that’s set up. Seems like the various issues with an outdoor 240v aren’t worth it versus the wall connector IMO.

If there is going to be an external outlet, it’s not much different as either way it has to be installed somewhere. Even if someone notices the light shining, there is access control. So they can’t use it anyway as long as that’s set up. Seems like the various issues with an outdoor 240v aren’t worth it versus the wall connector IMO.

I was interpreting OP's original message to mean "I plan to install a 240V outlet somewhere easy, attach a 30' 240V extension cord to that, and then add a UMC with its ~18 ft cord to get to the car". My initial choice would be an HPWC and appropriate underground wiring to get to it, but there's certainly no reason OP couldn't put his/her 240V outlet there instead. It might be worth mentioning that extension cords are usually/always intended for 'temporary' use.

I'm not sure access control has been really enabled for a Gen3 HPWC yet, other than "Non-tesla's can't charge at this spot".

Wow! Awesome responses.
Car will be on a deeded side street spot, so the Tesla designated Electricians said they can’t install a wall charger near “public access”, they’re insurance company won’t let them.

I’ll try to attach the photos to show the tight row home style “hurdles”.

Thanks again for the sound advice. Concern was for fire risk and liability. As I’m gonna have to be adventurous and either ground drag or use a tree branch to avoid a walkway.
(Thus, very temporary home charging at night, I leave at 6 AM so good on the day end of removing/stowing cables).

Will be going in the slightly covered area next to the 110V. I’ll probably have them add a running line to a box on the left so I don’t have to crawl in there each time plugging/unplugging).

Attachments

• 4B68AF18-38C0-4994-9B45-0D9A182ACECF.jpeg
    4B68AF18-38C0-4994-9B45-0D9A182ACECF.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 4A21ECE5-6440-445F-8EFB-3F071AD3B9B0.jpeg
    4A21ECE5-6440-445F-8EFB-3F071AD3B9B0.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 1D34204A-5D80-4072-A64A-3A589313D15B.jpeg
    1D34204A-5D80-4072-A64A-3A589313D15B.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 8FE486B5-0C06-469F-BDAC-3D409C52B86A.jpeg
    8FE486B5-0C06-469F-BDAC-3D409C52B86A.jpeg
    959.1 KB · Views: 38
And yes, this is a temporary solution.
Based on the difficult location shown in the pics and temporary situation, a 240v or maybe even your current 120v (depending on your average mileage per day) may be best. The problem with the wall connector will be the limited length (24’) and the cable thickness. If it can’t be near the vehicle it will be hard to make the cable reach. An extension cord may be the only solution whether on the ground or hanging down from above. Just make sure that you get a proper gauge extension and consider the liability involved with placement near public access.

Reactions: ATPMSD