Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Flex suddenly dropped to 16A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a chargepoint home flex connected to 14 50 and have been getting 40A consistently for past 3 months

Now suddenly it’s dropped to 16A and have no idea why? Nothing in my house or breaker has changed. I’ve rebooted the chargepoint and hard reset the car, with no luck.
The second I connect the chargepoint it just drops to 16A on the screen right away?

what to do?

could it be related to the supercharger I was at yesterday? I actually had to leave it there for 5 hours and got charged $50. Could that be related??

thx

Call ChargePoint support. 877-850-4562 option # 5. I just installed a new charger and have the same problem, they have to reset it from their end. No one knows why it is defaulting to 16 amps. So far I've had them reset it 3 times, next call will be to ask for a replacement charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your car should have three 16 amp charges built in, that way you can charge at 48 amps max. If two are not all working, then you would only charge at 16 amp.

I doubt the long Supercharging session had any bad effect on your level 2 charging....just your wallet. :)

May want to try plugging in the UMC that came with the car into your 14-50 outlet. The UMC can only charge at 32 amp max, but at least you would know if it is the car or the Chargepoint Flex.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Your car should have three 16 amp charges built in, that way you can charge at 48 amps max. If two are not all working, then you would only charge at 16 amp.

I doubt the long Supercharging session had any bad effect on your level 2 charging....just your wallet. :)

May want to try plugging in the UMC that came with the car into your 14-50 outlet. The UMC can only charge at 32 amp max, but at least you would know if it is the car or the Chargepoint Flex.

That’s a great idea re: UMC. Haven’t ever tried it yet. Thanks!

and will def call chargepoint. In the CP app though, it’s still listed as 50A? When it defaults to 16, before you called them, was that the case as well?

we have a Tesla Model 3 Performance since September 2019 and never had any problems. We charge the car at an 11kw public charging point in our street. Since a week the car suddenly only charges at 3kw max with 12/12 amp and around 225 volts.

At first, I thought the charging point was defective but I tried multiple other nearby charging points and the car keeps charging at 3kw max.

Last edited by a moderator:
we have a Tesla Model 3 Performance since September 2019 and never had any problems. We charge the car at an 11kw public charging point in our street. Since a week the car suddenly only charges at 3kw max with 12/12 amp and around 225 volts.

At first, I thought the charging point was defective but I tried multiple other nearby charging points and the car keeps charging at 3kw max.

Kodi nox
It could be because the battery pack is cold when you begin to charge. What happens if you leave the Model 3 charging, after an hour?

Just ran into the exact same problem Yes the pack was probably cold (it’s just above freezing outside), but I’ve been charging for a couple hours and it’s still running at 16A. On my Tesla mobile connector earlier in the day I saw the normal 32A. The ChargePoint is showing it’s configured at 40A. I was also seeing lower then expected charging with the ChargePoint before I left on this trip (I remember rebooting it, but not paying as much attention to what was wrong). I’m going to try a different adaptor and see if it makes a difference (luckily I have 2).