TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Home Installation Cost

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by IanH88, May 7, 2014.

1. IanH88

IanH88 Member

I just had a quote for installation of my 14/50 outlet and it's coming in at $2800!!!

This is due to the electrician telling me that he couldn't pull another 50 amp load from my board, due to the current load, hence he's quoting me for the addition of a 100amp 120/240 EV-TOU and the work that's associated with that.

My knowledge runs out very quickly in this area and I'm trying to educate myself.....but my question is has anyone faced this issue and what work around did you find without having to spend nearly $3000

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Get another opinion...... Likely the loads you have will not be used when you are charging... at night, when rates are low.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Where are you located, how big is your electrical panel (amps) right now? How far from the panel is your 50A receptacle going to be?

4. Blaze

Blaze Member

I would also suggest getting more bids. I installed a dedicated meter with a new panel for about the same cost you were quoted. This included some stucco patch and running wire from the panel to the garage which was a distance. I received 3 bids and went with the fellow I felt best working with. Happy to have the HPWC.

5. IanH88

IanH88 Member

Located in Los Angeles, I think the panel is 200 amps and the panel is only 12-15 feet from when the 50A receptacle will be.

The electrician mentioned one option which was to install a switcher between my downstairs AC and the Tesla socket, so I could only use one of those at a time

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If your only trying to stop an AC compressor from kicking in, it's simple to just put a switch on the low voltage line from the thermostat to the compressor, and just flip it when you are charging. A fancier version would use a 240V coil relay, which would energize when your car is charging (basically tapping into the EVSE), when the relay is engaged, the low voltage side of the relay would open the control to the compressor. A lot simpler than any kind of 50A capable AC switching system.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

What other 240v loads do you have? (Double breaker size).