Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

home link garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you have to order it and then schedule mobile service to come and install it. They won't install it when you take delivery as I asked if I could drop of the module to the delivery team before my car arrives. Be sure to not open the box when you get it. Tesla wants the box unopened when you had it to the tech. So the Homelink install will be on the top of my list of things for them to do once I get the car (should be taking delivery in the next 5-10 days). I just hope that is the only thing on my list.;)

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500
Homelink is no longer included in any Model 3 or Model Y cars. You can order it online for installation by Tesla: Automatic Garage Opener
I'm just hearing about this now. My M3 got totaled last month so I'm on the wait list for MY.
The 2018 M3 had Homelink and free data.
So now I have to shell out $300 just to have the MY open the garage door? Or dig out my old controllers? Plus, there were plenty of time it was hit-or-miss for auto-closing anyway. Certainly not worth $300.
That's really annoying. Not to mention, pretty much any other good car I've tried come with built in garage controllers.

I'm just hearing about this now. My M3 got totaled last month so I'm on the wait list for MY.
The 2018 M3 had Homelink and free data.
So now I have to shell out $300 just to have the MY open the garage door? Or dig out my old controllers? Plus, there were plenty of time it was hit-or-miss for auto-closing anyway. Certainly not worth $300.
That's really annoying. Not to mention, pretty much any other good car I've tried come with built in garage controllers.

If you do some searching, I've seen where some folks have pulled the module from their M3 and had it installed in the Y. I'm not sure if you still have access to your old M3, but that might be an option to save the $300.

If you do some searching, I've seen where some folks have pulled the module from their M3 and had it installed in the Y. I'm not sure if you still have access to your old M3, but that might be an option to save the $300.
Dammit! I'm sure the module would have been intact. It's been taken away now. Wish I had known this sooner.

Not true anymore. In the age of smartphones and smart garage openers, many manufacturers have removed the Homelink option, or at most offer it as an option on top level trims. It seems they pay Homelink for every installation, which makes it an unnecessary added expense for those who don't have a garage door opener. Now there are many garage door openers that have WiFi capabilities, so expect to see even fewer new cars with Homelink.

Not true anymore. In the age of smartphones and smart garage openers, many manufacturers have removed the Homelink option, or at most offer it as an option on top level trims. It seems they pay Homelink for every installation, which makes it an unnecessary added expense for those who don't have a garage door opener. Now there are many garage door openers that have WiFi capabilities, so expect to see even fewer new cars with Homelink.
That makes sense. I stand corrected. I used to rent luxury when traveling occasionally, but it has been a couple years.
I fished out my old clip-on controller today and it still works, so it's likely back to old school for me when I get the MY.

Reactions: dandrewk
EPOWER.jpg I had Homelink installed on the M3P EPOWER.jpg
EPOWER.jpg
after delivery. Technician can to my house and did it in about an hour. Opens and closes automatically when car comes within 100feet (or leaves). Cost $300

Reactions: Rg3500
That makes sense. I stand corrected. I used to rent luxury when traveling occasionally, but it has been a couple years.
I fished out my old clip-on controller today and it still works, so it's likely back to old school for me when I get the MY.

$300 is a lot for a garage opener, but I got spoiled with the proximity activation on my Model 3. Once you get used to a new feature, you can appreciate its utility and convenience.

$300 is a lot for a garage opener, but I got spoiled with the proximity activation on my Model 3. Once you get used to a new feature, you can appreciate its utility and convenience.

I plan to get homelink installed on mine. But i do wonder, if its annoying if it opens the door when you have no intention of parking in the garage (like if you forgot something and looped back around to grab it from the house), or if you just want to park in the driveway/street in front of the house?

I plan to get homelink installed on mine. But i do wonder, if its annoying if it opens the door when you have no intention of parking in the garage (like if you forgot something and looped back around to grab it from the house), or if you just want to park in the driveway/street in front of the house?

You can choose to have the proximity open/close on or off. You also have several options as to how close to your garage you want it to activate. In all cases, when you get close to your home the homelink button drops down a menu. If you have proximity activation set to on, you can then cancel the operation. Or, if you have it off, you can then push the icon to activate the opener.

You can choose to have the proximity open/close on or off. You also have several options as to how close to your garage you want it to activate. In all cases, when you get close to your home the homelink button drops down a menu. If you have proximity activation set to on, you can then cancel the operation. Or, if you have it off, you can then push the icon to activate the opener.
As you approach the house, there is a popup that says "garage opening in 40 feet" or something like that. As you get closer, it changes from "40 feet" to "20 feet", etc. In the popup, there is a "Cancel" button, so it's easy to prevent the door actuating if you don't want it to.

• Helpful
Reactions: frankvb
Yeah, you have to order it and then schedule mobile service to come and install it. They won't install it when you take delivery as I asked if I could drop of the module to the delivery team before my car arrives. Be sure to not open the box when you get it. Tesla wants the box unopened when you had it to the tech. So the Homelink install will be on the top of my list of things for them to do once I get the car (should be taking delivery in the next 5-10 days). I just hope that is the only thing on my list.;)
That’s good to know. Thank you for sharing.

• Informative
Reactions: TJVan
Warning actually says "do not tamper with the package or installation will be voided" - I opened my package and neither the installing tech nor I felt that opening was the equivalent to tampering.