Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Link Not working properly...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably user error but I’m new to this...we just took delivery of a 2017 MS 100D and I set up Homelink when we got home. It will open the garage when we arrive home but will not consistently close the garage when we leave. Any suggestions on how to make it work as it should? Thanks for any tips you can provide.

The best suggestion I can give is to disable that "feature" entirely. I get that many people use it and most haven't had issues but some have and it's not cheap when it happens. IMO it's just not worth the "party trick" since the Homelink menu will automatically pop up for you to manually tap the screen once to open/close the garage door which is simple as can be and nearly error proof by comparison.

I was actually considering doing that exact thing. It’s a convenient “feature” but to be honest reaching up and touching the screen to open or close the garage door isn’t a big deal and I’ve been doing the same thing for the last 20 years anyway....that being said this morning I adjusted the distance to 80 feet and it worked fine...I’ll play with it a little and see what happens.

The best suggestion I can give is to disable that "feature" entirely. I get that many people use it and most haven't had issues but some have and it's not cheap when it happens. IMO it's just not worth the "party trick" since the Homelink menu will automatically pop up for you to manually tap the screen once to open/close the garage door which is simple as can be and nearly error proof by comparison.

Wife pulled up in my MS while I was unloading her SUV, which lead to the garage door coming down on the hatch.

$1k later and I tell everyone not to bother with that party-trick.

Wife pulled up in my MS while I was unloading her SUV, which lead to the garage door coming down on the hatch.

$1k later and I tell everyone not to bother with that party-trick.

I was just going to post a similar scenario that I read here on the forum. Tesla coming home thinking the garage door is closed and sent signal to open, but instead it is closing on the other car coming out from the garage. The garage door sensor was set too low so the door actually closed and cracked the rear window of the other car.

I was just going to post a similar scenario that I read here on the forum. Tesla coming home thinking the garage door is closed and sent signal to open, but instead it is closing on the other car coming out from the garage. The garage door sensor was set too low so the door actually closed and cracked the rear window of the other car.
I saw yet another the damaged two cars as well as caused the garage door itself to bend/crease due to not having the opener limiter set properly so it kept trying to close the door even though it had hit an obstruction. Should the limiter have been set properly by the installer? Of course. Is that how I want to find out they didn't? Hell no. When you consider that the result could be thousands in repair to the car(s) as well as the garage door & related components on your house... it's just not worth it. I'll never understand why anyone would trust this solution given Tesla's inconsistent track record with most things.

This is probably user error but I’m new to this...we just took delivery of a 2017 MS 100D and I set up Homelink when we got home. It will open the garage when we arrive home but will not consistently close the garage when we leave. Any suggestions on how to make it work as it should? Thanks for any tips you can provide.
It works fine - but you will probably need to set it to 50 feet - most garage door openers don’t work too far away. It works fine, it is the same chip set that all the other car companies use.

Also don’t drive away too fast or you’ll be too far away.