Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Link programmed but does not work on 2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Programmed Home Link in 2021 Model S but door does not
open. There are no LED bulbs in garage (previous posts suggested they could interfere). When driving up to garage the screen identifies the garage by name but the door does not open.

There are 2 ways to get a car to work with an opener.

1. Have the car learn the remote. When you sell the car, you wipe the codes in the car.

2. Have the opener learn the car. When you sell the car, you wipe the codes in the opener and then you must relearn any existing cars.

If neither of those work, consider buying this:

Liftmaster 850LM Universal Receiver
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EYS9M/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine works, but the range is HORRIBLE. The remote that comes with the opener works from down the street, the homelink in the car only works if my front bumper is almost touching the garage door

Same. This is what happens when Homelink is behind a metal bumper, rather than in the rearview mirror.... Piss poor design.

I had the same problem as you 2 then I got the Liftmaster 850LM Universal Receiver and the problems went away.
It will work on any opener that has a wired button on the wall.

Liftmaster 850LM Universal Receiver
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EYS9M/

Upvote 0
Mine stopped working today for some reason. I reprogrammed it, and the first time didn't work. Did it a second time and works fine again. Make sure and delete the old entry and create a new clean entry each time you must reprogram the Homelink. No sense in using any part of an entry that wasn't working.

Upvote 0
I had a very difficult time programming my refresh model S. I called Tesla and they walked me through the exact same instruction that the car provides so their next recommendation was to transfer me to homelink. I tried the exact same thing with Homelink with no success...untill...the Homelink representative insisted I change garage door opener remotes. My garage door came with two remotes. She suggested perhaps the one I was using didnt have the correct coding to work with homelink as usually only one remote is the "master".

Luckily enough, changing the remote worked! I swapped the remote that I had been trying to point at the front of the car for the past 3 days for the other remote that came with the garage door opener and VOILAAAA! It worked!

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WHO STRUGGLED WITH PROGRAMMING LIKE I DID.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
I had a very difficult time programming my refresh model S. I called Tesla and they walked me through the exact same instruction that the car provides so their next recommendation was to transfer me to homelink. I tried the exact same thing with Homelink with no success...untill...the Homelink representative insisted I change garage door opener remotes. My garage door came with two remotes. She suggested perhaps the one I was using didnt have the correct coding to work with homelink as usually only one remote is the "master".

Luckily enough, changing the remote worked! I swapped the remote that I had been trying to point at the front of the car for the past 3 days for the other remote that came with the garage door opener and VOILAAAA! It worked!

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WHO STRUGGLED WITH PROGRAMMING LIKE I DID.
Interesting, thanks for sharing this info about the difference between the remotes. The Homelink on my Model S will work maybe 10% of the time. I know it's programmed correctly because when I'm in the garage I can close the door with the Homelink button. Even if I'm outside the garage in the car it will rarely open the door. I'll try reprogramming with the other remote.

Upvote 0