Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home link

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds to me like the difference might just be the delay for the OVMS button push to make its way back to the car and activate the homelink. Timothy pushes the button while the car is approaching the gate or garage, so there will be a position change between the button push and the signal transmission.

It sounds to me like the difference might just be the delay for the OVMS button push to make its way back to the car and activate the homelink. Timothy pushes the button while the car is approaching the gate or garage, so there will be a position change between the button push and the signal transmission.

Hmmm. Possibly, but that is normally less than 1 second.

I have tried holding down the Homelink button for several seconds and it doesn't change things. As an experiment on different drives I stopped the car time pushing (and holding) the Homelink button, and the next drive using the OVMS so I wasn't sending from a moving vehicle and the signals were all sent from the same location.

I know it makes no sense, but there is definitely a difference.

SLCASNER, you are the scientific type--give it a try when you are in Santa Barbara next. I'll either have you scratching your head like me, or you will tell me the obvious answer I am missing!

Maybe I need to exorcise the Roadster!

- - - Updated - - -

Comments here about OVMS homelink vs VDS homelink are bizarre. The OVMS homelink just sends exactly the same codes as the VDS homelink. The reason I know is because we got the codes by looking at those sent by the VDS. The codes are sent on the CAN bus to the homelink unit, which then just does the transmission.

Perhaps this is a "bug" in OVMS? Perhaps there is a "start homelink" and "stop homelink" code and we're only sending the first one. I'll raise it on the developers forum.

Does the OVMS send the code itself or just activate the Homelink in the car? If it sends the code separately, perhaps it is for a long duration duration that explains the phenomenon I am observing?

Anyhow, I LIKE it better the way it is so PLEASE DON'T fix it if you consider it a bug!!! :smile:

Does the OVMS send the code itself or just activate the Homelink in the car? If it sends the code separately, perhaps it is for a long duration duration that explains the phenomenon I am observing?

Anyhow, I LIKE it better the way it is so PLEASE DON'T fix it if you consider it a bug!!! :smile:

Just activates the homelink in the car. Supposedly exactly the same as the VDS does.

We send just one CAN bus message. I don't have homelink, or any CAN dumps of this - just working off information provided by others. My understanding was the homelink code sent on the CAN bus would instruct the homelink module to send the homelink command once. My thinking now is that the code may instruct the homelink module to start continuously sending the homelink commands, and there may be another code to stop the transmission (which, I again presume, times out after some time anyway). That would explain the difference, but is pure guesswork.