Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home location not on the map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Map doesn't correctly identify our home location, so Sentry stays on while in the garage. The location shows as a range (700-750 Bothwell) instead of a specific street address. We live in a new development and these are new roads. I believe I've seen the option to geofence an area but not sure how to do that. I've only seen the option to put a specific street address for a favorite or home location.

I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions.

Cheers,

i live in a townhome complex and have a similar problem. It seems that this is a Google maps problem. Telsa maps shows our garage's correct location in the 13 building complex, but labels' it incorrectly. The displayed map has a Google label in the upper right hand corner. Google Street view is similarly inaccurate. I tried submitting a correction but nothing ever changed. I assume it wasn't a priority.

Interestingly, I don't have the problem with the Sentry or the automated garage door opener. You may want to try resetting the place to shutoff the Sentry mode.l

It seems Tesla uses Open Street Maps (OSM) for some purposes. You can try adding your development, parking areas, etc. there.

When Summon was first released, people mapped out their important parking lots for better results.

I have added my location to OSM and am awaiting a review. I will add a post 24 to 48 hours after the change gets approved to let you know if the MY picked up the change on its maps.

Reactions: KDeanCville
I have added my location to OSM and am awaiting a review. I will add a post 24 to 48 hours after the change gets approved to let you know if the MY picked up the change on its maps.
I updated my townhomes location in OSM and requested a change review. The changes have now been applied when I look at the OSM site. I then went to the navigation map in my MY. It shows my location correctly, however, when I request to navigate to my address, it shows the location as 1 building to the north in our complex. This is the same error that Tesla Solar had when I got a quote from them and is based on a Google Maps error and not the OSM map.

Thanks, @73Bruin ! Good to know and I'll try the same thing with OSM. Guess we might need to wait on an update from Google maps for our new neighborhood.
You can report a location error with Google Maps as well. They will probably take some time to process the report and verify that it's reasonable, but it does eventually work in my experience. Search for your address, and then select "Suggest an edit..." from the menu.

Reactions: KDeanCville
You can report a location error with Google Maps as well. They will probably take some time to process the report and verify that it's reasonable, but it does eventually work in my experience. Search for your address, and then select "Suggest an edit..." from the menu.
Thank you, this process seems easier than when I first submitted a correction several years ago. I have submitted the correction and will see what happens.

I just updated a fellow Tesla owner's home address in OSM here in the Las Vegas FB group and the change took place within 5mins... He's never been able to route home properly but I updated the house address and removed the "south" from his street name and bam! So if anyone else has issues please make the change in OSM or msg me and I'll do it for you as it takes no time at all.

Have done so several times. Months passed. Nada.
Got wrong street and although the "wrong" street is also in my town, the name of a nearby adjacent town is indicated.
Google Delenda Est!

Reactions: 73Bruin
After 4 years of living in our new home, the Nav system finally finds our address. The satellite photo is still a year behind. But at least folks can find us and I no longer have to give them an address in another subdivision a 1/2 away with follow on instructions.

You can choose any location as a Favorite, at least -- I've done that with my sister's home out in the boonies where mapping is poor. While in her driveway, I held my location indicator down until I got a labelling option, and made "sister's cottage" one of my favourites. Now Sentry doesn't activate there. You might also be able to do it for your Home, but at least for favourites.