Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home made jack pad for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the OP showed us this I have used his design (modified) every time I raise the car. Over time, the wood does tend to split, but when I made mine I had a lot of material (36" of dowel, an 8' 2"x3"), so I made a dozen of them. When a board starts looking unsound I throw it away and reach for a fresh one.

BTW, as other posters have said, using just the center peg works fine, and avoids the problem of different spacing of the side pins for different versions of the S.

Since the OP showed us this I have used his design (modified) every time I raise the car. Over time, the wood does tend to split, but when I made mine I had a lot of material (36" of dowel, an 8' 2"x3"), so I made a dozen of them. When a board starts looking unsound I throw it away and reach for a fresh one.

BTW, as other posters have said, using just the center peg works fine, and avoids the problem of different spacing of the side pins for different versions of the S.

I've used mine a few times (put a set of winter tires and then back the summer tires) - still looks like new. I have a racing jack with soft rubbery surface, which seems to be very gentle on the pad.

Reactions: Gt1948
View attachment 225257
Took an hour and came out perfect. I used the template and made a little hole at the cross hairs. Used a permanent market to let it bleed through on to the wood. No measuring was needed!

I just hope the wood doesnt crack. Not sure if I bought the right one. Its the only 2x3 home depot had
Glad it worked well for you BigTonyTones. Designing them for the first time was a PITA, as I had to throw away a bunch of early prototypes.

The local Tesla service center was happy to use my custom hockey puck solution last week :cool:

InkedIMG_6845_LI.jpg

I ended up milling a set of jack pads for the Model S using 6061 aluminum. Works great and is super stable. I also milled out a hole on the bottom so I can put a pin in there for the jackpoint jackstands.

View attachment 240802 View attachment 240803
Looks very nice and probably mitigates the warping issue that exist with the wood blocks.
I second @Dameon, I will be in line if you want to help the community and sell these to us.

Reactions: Gt1948
I also made the block and it works great when the tire is not flat. When flat, it is tough to get a low profile jack under the block. BUT, I have an answer. I carry a 6" length of 4X4. Today, I had a flat and drove the flat onto the 4X4. This raises the car up enough to allow a low-profile jack to slide underneath the block. I do not have air suspension.

Very nice! Certainly more than $15 worth of material and effort though.

Any thoughts about selling production runs?

They take a while to do manually, but I could look into doing a larger run at a proto house. I sent pics of these to the jackpoint stand folks and they are thinking about making one for the model 3, which is similar to the model s but with only the middle pin.

Reactions: ABVA
They take a while to do manually, but I could look into doing a larger run at a proto house. I sent pics of these to the jackpoint stand folks and they are thinking about making one for the model 3, which is similar to the model s but with only the middle pin.
Please keep us posted. When and if you decide to do it I am sure you will get a good response as it will contribute greatly to the community. I for one will be one of the first ones to order a quantity of three. We will hopefully have three Teslas by the end of the year. Two MS and a Model 3.

Reactions: boaterva
First time buying a jack...how much tonnage support do I need for a Tesla Model S?

Model S weighs between 4500-5000 lbs, depending on model. Weight distribution is fairly even, about 1250 lbs per wheel.

For safety, a 2 ton jack is the minimum recommended (capacity of 4000 lbs, required to support 1250 lbs on one corner).