Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home made license Bracket under $10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mounted your plate holder to that lower grill.

10MPH front bump and that grill cracks and is $800 ( not installed ).
If you observe the side view, the gap between license plate and bumper it just few mm. When pressure is applied on plate, it will rest on the bumper ( I tested that). Also, that is the reason the mounts material is thin unlike those commercial one and bends easily.

Also trimmed length of screws those holding plate from bottom so that those would not protrude and scratch in case of hit on license plate. I will try take a photo later.

BTW, some folks expressed issue about shutters. There is quite a bit of gap between the grill and actual shutters. Grill is a separate piece and should not be that expensive for that insert.

If you observe the side view, the gap between license plate and bumper it just few mm. When pressure is applied on plate, it will rest on the bumper ( I tested that). Also, that is the reason the mounts material is thin unlike those commercial one and bends easily.

Also trimmed length of screws those holding plate from bottom so that those would not protrude and scratch in case of hit on license plate. I will try take a photo later.

BTW, some folks expressed issue about shutters. There is quite a bit of gap between the grill and actual shutters. Grill is a separate piece and should not be that expensive for that insert.
It certainly is that expensive. It happened.

Not trying to be rude, as the license plate frame you made looks great, but what’s the benefit of this vs the stock one? Position seems the same
Here is there statement I started this thread with.

The main reason for me was easy to clean without it as dirt accumulates around the mount on the bumper. Also, want to ability to remove bracket when I wanted.

But again everyone has their own opinion on which is better way to do. In my experience, crud accumulates around the license plate when it is mounted on the bumper directly. Esp when we wash and wax, it looks like a sore point there. That is the main driver for me to build this bracket for me.

I thought of buying one the will be mounted under the bumper, but it does block airflow to the cooling. I have observed this fan running full blast when battery being charged at super charger. I am pretty sure blocking the air path there would have negative impact esp in summer when more cooling is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezlah
Oh, did you have to get that grill replaced? Would you mind sharing that experience and cost of replacing that grill?

I was at the Westmont Il service center when a model 3 came in with the broken bracket/grill. I asked him what happened and he said that someone slowly backed into his car as they were trying to get out of their parking spot. He said he watched the whole thing unfold. The other car was not even really moving much at all....as they just put enough force on his license plate bracket to break the grill to the point where the plate was hanging down.

The service center looked the grill up on their computer and told him that the grill was $800 including labor. Too bad his insurance deductible was $1000.

I was at the Westmont Il service center when a model 3 came in with the broken bracket/grill. I asked him what happened and he said that someone slowly backed into his car as they were trying to get out of their parking spot. He said he watched the whole thing unfold. The other car was not even really moving much at all....as they just put enough force on his license plate bracket to break the grill to the point where the plate was hanging down.

The service center looked the grill up on their computer and told him that the grill was $800 including labor. Too bad his insurance deductible was $1000.

Thanks for the update.

That is sad. But if someone else backed into his car while he was watching, why he needs to pay for the repairs? Not the responsible party?

But anyways, that is one of the scenario I played with my bracket, little bit of force on the license plate, it bends backward and rests on the bumper(just like original sits). That is one more reason not to buy commercial bracket which might put too much force on the grill. But again, installing to grill is pretty common among many luxury cars(BMW, Audi etc), because folks do not want to mount plate to bumper.

Thanks for the update.

That is sad. But if someone else backed into his car while he was watching, why he needs to pay for the repairs? Not the responsible party?

But anyways, that is one of the scenario I played with my bracket, little bit of force on the license plate, it bends backward and rests on the bumper(just like original sits). That is one more reason not to buy commercial bracket which might put too much force on the grill. But again, installing to grill is pretty common among many luxury cars(BMW, Audi etc), because folks do not want to mount plate to bumper.
What would you want him to do? Beat the guy up? Sue him.....what?

Godspeed to Elon to get us our own Tesla planet. We will rename Mars to Tesla. We will be able to move there. Build Teslas and not let anyone drive anything but an EV. Well, we will only build Teslas, so that's saying the same thing as an EV. We are all so careful, we won't need to worry about others banging into our cars.

Well, that's one of the reasons for those large cups. The knot on the back of the cup, where the hook is, is just large enough to grab and hold. It takes some pressure to get them into those slots but they stay. And while you can pull them back off, I think the combined strength of all four on the plastic plate hold them in place on the car. As for the hook? Comes off easy and just threw them into my spare parts bucket.

There's probably enough surface to add a screw if you wish. But so far, I have not. I made up extras and carry one in my car for when another owner wants one. I let them have one for what parts cost.

Well, that's one of the reasons for those large cups. The knot on the back of the cup, where the hook is, is just large enough to grab and hold. It takes some pressure to get them into those slots but they stay. And while you can pull them back off, I think the combined strength of all four on the plastic plate hold them in place on the car. As for the hook? Comes off easy and just threw them into my spare parts bucket.

There's probably enough surface to add a screw if you wish. But so far, I have not. I made up extras and carry one in my car for when another owner wants one. I let them have one for what parts cost.

I have received my "Akikiki" license plate components from Amazon. Works great even though I have a ton of bugs on my frontend. Thank you so much for the idea and links.