TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Home monitoring working for you?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by llngoc, Aug 31, 2018.

1. llngoc

llngoc Member

2. Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else Member

Yes, but the recommended way of referring to the Powerwall gateway often doesn't work if the gateway is connected to your system by WiFi or wired ethernet.

You'll need to find the IP address that your router is allocating to the gateway, and use that. You'll also have to add an exception to allow your browser to accept the certificate that the gateway provides. You may be able to configure your router to always allocate the same IP address based on the MAC address of the gateway.

3. llngoc

llngoc Member

Yes. After I posted this, I started using all the allocated IP address on my router and finally got one which worked. (Actually it was the first one on the list so it was not too bad.) But does anyone get the name address to work at all instead of the IP address?

4. Buckeroo

Buckeroo New Member

Is there a step by step guide to have your home system connected to the gateway without having to connect via its own wifi so you can monitor all the time?

5. Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else Member

Not really, if the steps described in

Monitoring from your Home Network | Tesla

don't work for you. If that's the case, then say what model of WiFi router you have (make and model number), and it may be possible to guide you.

6. eml2

eml2 Member

Yes you can if you are using wired ethernet. And I think once you connect to the gateway via ethernet, you can login and configure its WiFi to connect to your WiFi router.

7. Artimis

Artimis Member

Connect to the Gateway's own wifi as described in the previously posted link. Once you are in, you can access the "Network" section (either as an installer or via the Customer setup) and change your network connection mode. One of the options is "WiFi" and it allows you to connect the gateway to your home's WiFi network so you can monitor it the way you want.

Personally, I did not have much luck with the built-in WiFi (the range sucks). Instead, I used the "Ethernet" option and wired it into a Netgear range extender (like this one) that was configured as a client bridge to my network. Night and day difference.