Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Network Troubleshooting - 192.168.5.0/24 Subnet Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By chance, does anybody have their home network set to 192.168.5.0/24? I cannot get to my Model S via the iPhone app any time it is connected to my SSID that gets IPs from this subnet.

If I change the car to one of my other two SSIDs, it connects without a problem. They use 192.168.3.0/24 and 192.168.4.0/24

I can tell from my AP that the car is authenticating correctly and even picking up an IP. Just cannot get to it via the iPhone app.

Wondering if Tesla is using 192.168.5.0/24 back at the other end of the tunnel and we simply have a conflict problem?

Thanks all.

I found an old thread that said the internal network was 192.168.90.0/24 but that was back when you could make an Ethernet adapter for the car. If there is no NAT involved, then it is very possible that multiple subnets are used across cars (maybe by VIN or SW version?)

Do you have a different firewall or rules on the SSID that doesn't work? I had to create rules to allow Tesla's VPN and self signed certs to pass.

Unfortunately, no. The 3 SSIDs and corresponding SVIs are all the same from that standpoint (wide open). The only FW rules are inbound on the outside interface and those are very generic from an IP standpoint (most are restricting only protocol/ports).

Right now, the only difference between the two that work and the one that does not are the VLAN IDs, SSID Names (even made the passwords the same), and Subnet used.

I have a voicemail out to my local service center. It is a shot in the dark but worth a try.

So my buddy came over last night to connect his car to the network (again) to do some router troubleshooting but everything now works! I moved my car from my secondary network over to the .5 net and everything is now working for me too.

Not sure what changed but I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks everybody for the responses and help.

Do you have one router as the gateway for all three networks? Same device doing DHCP? I've seen a bug on some devices that is triggered by a device (and it's MAC address) moving between networks.

The MAC address is given a IP on network a. Then you switch networks and it asks for an IP on network B. Rather than assign a new IP, the common DHCP server sees the MAC address already has a lease and replies with the IP from the other network, which of course won't work and causes a black hole.

It will fix itself when the DHCP lease expires. I don't know if this was your issue, but it seems to fit. You could turn on DHCP debugging and look at the logs.