Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Rooftop Wind Turbine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd really question a wind turbine on my roof. First, there are a number of structural issues, next, the amount of wind, but most importantly is the incest whine that I would expect to be transferred to the whole house.
Ummmm....Did you really want to use that word? "...but most importantly is the _____ whine..."

I have solar and looked into a residential wind turbine a few years ago, I thought I could supplement my solar in the winter with wind power. At that time you needed a minimum of 6 mph to make it pencil out and we do not have that so could not make the numbers work.

Small Wind Turbines uses of course depend on location wind conditions (and battery storage?).
- bus stops for LED lights, Wi-Fi, Cell Phone charging - big in Iceland
- remote power uses such as cell phone towers, Lighthouses, night lighting, weather stations, you get the idea.
- high rise building? perhaps; residential rooftops? not; water pumps? for sure

</rambling thoughts>

Nice Concept, but not practical in areas where grid electricity is available.

In remote areas without grid power Small Wind Turbines are an option in areas of high average wind speeds, or very little sun. Any place like southern California with almost constant sun PV is a much more cost effective solution, but again, if grid power is available even PV systems are hard to justify.

Even battery back-up such as Powerwall are not cost effective unless the cost of loss of electricity on those VERY, VERY rare occasions when it happens is too great.

Nice Concept, but not practical in areas where grid electricity is available.

In remote areas without grid power Small Wind Turbines are an option in areas of high average wind speeds, or very little sun. Any place like southern California with almost constant sun PV is a much more cost effective solution, but again, if grid power is available even PV systems are hard to justify.

Even battery back-up such as Powerwall are not cost effective unless the cost of loss of electricity on those VERY, VERY rare occasions when it happens is too great.
In Seattle, we have "parking payment kiosks" that are solar powered - one per block.
As US cities seem hell bent to drive themselves into debt. you may be correct - not economic - but looks cool for "modern city".

So solar is the only at-home energy generation technique that is economical? That's why I always assumed but was hoping otherwise.

I could cycle at 200 W for 10 hrs. It's hilariously depressing to realize I would burn all that with a 10 mile drive of a Tesla!
Mostly correct. Solar normally works. I have yet to hear of a wind set up that is more than a science project for home use. Hydro can work IF you have ready access to a good stream. Something few of us have.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando