Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home smart charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did someone have some experience with home smart charger. I have a solar panels and I would like to install a smart charging system which is able to adjust his power according the current solar production. I would like to get your experience with the products you buyed (hardware and software). Thanks in advance.

The charger in a Tesla is built-in to the car. The Wall Connector simply connects your AC mains to the vehicle. You can adjust the charge rate from inside the car. But I am not aware of any external API or other mechanism to adjust it externally (although that would be nice).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The charger in a Tesla is built-in to the car. The Wall Connector simply connects your AC mains to the vehicle. You can adjust the charge rate from inside the car. But I am not aware of any external API or other mechanism to adjust it externally (although that would be nice).
Thanky for your reply. Yes I know and I use this fonctionnality to adjust the power of the built-in charger. But as I wouldn't or cannot always be near the car to adjust the power in order for example minimize the current taken from the grid as I wouldn't to be most of possible independant of the grid (of course when I have time to charge the car), I would like to know if there is some external products / software to analyze, in real time, the solar production, the current power consumption (home + car) and allow, if possible, more or less power to the Tesla (in fact the Tesla is always set to max power/current, in my case 16A (400V, 11 kW).
I know that some systems already exist but need some power management system (may be like solarlog) and dedicated home charging point).
The final goal is to maximize the autoconsumption whith solar panel and depending of strategy to reduce some consumption by allocating less power. One step to do this is to introduce a home battery in the system: I already ordered 3 Tesla Powerwall 2 one and half year ago, but they are still not available in Switzerland.

I have the same infrastructure as you. My solar panels produces around 12 MWh / year and I used a 3 phases 16A (400 V, 11 kW) to connect the Tesla connector to charge my car. During the summer I almost use power from the sun during day time and during the winter time I only charge at night (cheaper kWh). The charge cost at night is compensated by the payback of the kWh I sell to the grid (mainly during the summer). Home battery could be a solution, but for me it's a big investment for a very low cost advantage.

I have the same infrastructure as you. My solar panels produces around 12 MWh / year and I used a 3 phases 16A (400 V, 11 kW) to connect the Tesla connector to charge my car. During the summer I almost use power from the sun during day time and during the winter time I only charge at night (cheaper kWh). The charge cost at night is compensated by the payback of the kWh I sell to the grid (mainly during the summer). Home battery could be a solution, but for me it's a big investment for a very low cost advantage.
Thanks Patrick; I already apply the strategy you mention but I want to go a step forward. I know that the battery is not currently an economical approach but more ecological approach, to be economically ineressant, the price of the kWh in Switzerland has to reach about 40 ct, which isn't the case currently.