Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Wall Charger how to remove if selling home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turn off breaker, pull off charger cover, disconnect power wires, remove wall charger, put wire nuts on the end of each wire (don’t combine wires). Shove the wires into the box in the wall and cover with a plate you can buy at any home improvement store.
One thing I would add would be to put a piece of tape over the breaker (which should remain off) stating something like "disconnected 240v line to garage." Same note should be on the wall plate.

Of course it is dependent upon your specific install, but it's easier than putting in. Without seeing your implementation, I would likely recommend you can have an electrician replace the wall charger for a 14-50 at a minor cost. The wires and conduit will not need to be changed but the breaker will and an outlet added, which "should be" extremely inexpensive. I say should be as if you did it yourself, it's less than $50 in supplies but electricians will likely have a minimum fee of around $200 - $350. Then you can take the wall charger with you to your new home and have it installed there.

So if you have an electrician do it and they charge $300, then is it worth the $200 difference (new ones cost $500 but are constantly out of stock) to have a brand new v3 wall charger instead of moving a used one which is maybe an older generation? Just a choice to make.

Reactions: okcazure
How do you remove the home charger from the wall?
Gen 3 or Gen 3?
For either one, look at the installation manual and do the reverse. For the Gen 2, page 18 talks about the screws at the bottom and the snaps on the sides to remove the cover. Then disconnect the wires (CIRCUIT MUST BE OFF - preferably with the breaker removed - actually do this first) and remove the charger.

Of course it is dependent upon your specific install, but it's easier than putting in. Without seeing your implementation, I would likely recommend you can have an electrician replace the wall charger for a 14-50 at a minor cost. The wires and conduit will not need to be changed but the breaker will and an outlet added, which "should be" extremely inexpensive. I say should be as if you did it yourself, it's less than $50 in supplies but electricians will likely have a minimum fee of around $200 - $350. Then you can take the wall charger with you to your new home and have it installed there.

So if you have an electrician do it and they charge $300, then is it worth the $200 difference (new ones cost $500 but are constantly out of stock) to have a brand new v3 wall charger instead of moving a used one which is maybe an older generation? Just a choice to make.
Additionally, having a charger can add to the value of the house. Probably $200 or more. We know that the purchasers of our old house were "intrigued" by the charger on the wall - per the buyer's agent.

Reactions: Megatron3000