Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Wall Charging Dip Switches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician installed the wall charger this afternoon. I had the home power upgraded to 300 amps, with 200 amps going to the house breaker box and a dedicated 100 amp circuit box to the Tesla wall charger. I plugged it into the MS and my display read charging at 40 amps. I removed it from the car, turned the power off and configured the dip switches to 80 amps. The MS display then read charging at 60 amps. No matter what configuration I use, the charging will not exceed 60 amps. Any clues?

Yes, they have limited the charge rate to 60A because the HPWCs were blowing fuses.

You can override the 60A limit. Dial up to 61A and you get the warning message. Close it. Now dial up again, and it lets you go to 80A.

I have to do this every time I plug into a J1772 70A or 80A, which I do fairly frequently so it is rather annoying.

Of course you may not want to do this if it's going to blow the fuses in your HPWC.

Now my car will not charge. When I plig in the wall charger to the car, the blue light is steady dark blue and the car display starts off ok. However, the voltage is never recognized and after a couple of minutes the charge stops. I've tried turning the power off and starting over with the same result. Any clues?

Sounds like you may have the DIP switch diagram upside down and that test mode may now be on. Pay particular attention to the orientation of the switches and try again. That, or you have a defective HPWC.

If the voltage is never seen, it means that the car has not signalled the HPWC to close its contactor, or the power source isn't connected right, or the HPWC's contactor has failed.

I tried starting over, turning the 100 amp CB off, opening the HWPC and setting for test mode. I received a green light, no red. Turned the power off and set the dip switches for 60 amps. Closed up the unit, turned the power on and the upper green LED light is on. According the unit has power. Plugged into the MS, received the click, solid blue light at charger port. The dash noted estimated time of charge to full, then within a coupe of seconds noted no power received from wall unit sounds like a defective HWPC.