Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home wall charging (in Czechia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aware modern Model S charge only 24A (16.5kW) but AFAIK there is no 24A-only wall charger, all such chargers are already capable of 32A (22kW).
I am aware of these charging options (there is also http://www.teslaclub.be/teslachart.pdf).
  • 3-phase 16A 11kW with Tesla cable shipped with the car to IEC 60309 16A (small one) wall connector.
  • 3-phase 32A 22kW with a 3rd party adapter to IEC 60309 32A (larger one) wall connector.
    Are there more adapters than this one? easycharger.co
  • 3-phase 32A 22kW Tesla original High Performance Wall Connector (HPWC) - the link is for USD 500 variant only for USA. I have seen it does exist in European version but I cannot find it on Tesla web. I haven't called Tesla yet. How much does it cost? I heard one cannot get it installed in Czech with valid Tesla warranty as no Czech electrician is certified by Tesla.
  • 3-phase 32A 22kW 3rd party wall boxes from elektromobilita.cz such as: #1 #2 #3 #4
    I need then a Type2<->Type2 cable - is it supplied? Are these 3rd party wall boxes compatible with Tesla car?

• 3-phase 32A 22kW Tesla original High Performance Wall Connector (HPWC) - the link is for USD 500 variant only for USA. I have seen it does exist in European version but I cannot find it on Tesla web. I haven't called Tesla yet. How much does it cost? I heard one cannot get it installed in Czech with valid Tesla warranty as no Czech electrician is certified by Tesla.

That would be surprising. In the UK, european-version HPWC (now just called the "Wall connector") are available from Tesla service centres and you can have any electrician to install.

They are also quite a good price here compared to third-party wall boxes - £398 (I don't know the EUR price), so the very cheapest alternatives are slightly less, but they don't have the Tesla button on the end of the cable.

• 3-phase 32A 22kW 3rd party wall boxes from elektromobilita.cz such as: #1 #2 #3 #4
    I need then a Type2<->Type2 cable - is it supplied? Are these 3rd party wall boxes compatible with Tesla car?

The car should be compatible with almost any Type2 chargepoint - I have not heard of any compatibility issues (and have had no trouble myself).

In the UK at least, the car does NOT now come with a type2 cable - only the UMC. I think this is the same in most countries.

Reactions: jankratochvil
I strongly recommend to go for original Tesla Wall Charger. In it you (or your electrician) can set up how strong is your circuit breaker. I have it now on 16A as my whole house is connected using 25A.

And Tesla Wall Charger is also future-proof as you can link up to four of them and have them behind one circuit breaker. And they will communicate together to limit charging of cars...

I strongly recommend to go for original Tesla Wall Charger. In it you (or your electrician) can set up how strong is your circuit breaker. I have it now on 16A as my whole house is connected using 25A.

I am getting upgraded my main house circuit breaker from 3x25A to 3x50A for Tesla so I have fortunately no limit on that side. :) OK, I see it is most convenient to just buy Tesla HPWC.

So I do not see any use for the IEC 60309 3x32A adapters I mentioned in my OP - all the public charging stations provide Type 2 for >=20kW charging. I have found only very few IEC 60309 3x32A public sockets in Europe on openchargemap.

Last edited:
I am getting upgraded my main house circuit breaker from 3x25A to 3x50A for Tesla so I have fortunately no limit on that side. :) OK, I see it is most convenient to just buy Tesla HPWC.

So I do not see any use for the IEC 60309 3x32A adapters I mentioned in my OP - all the public charging stations provide Type 2 for >=20kW charging. I have found only very few IEC 60309 3x32A public sockets in Europe on openchargemap.
I've had my Model S60 now for 3,5 years and I've still got only a regular 16A 1-phase with a schuko plug at home so charge at 13A. It's been a problem I think about 2 times in total since I got the car. At home you generally don't need that fast charing unless you drive 50k km each year. I drive around 16k which is slightly more than the average here in Norway. Though in your own garage not having to take the UMC out every time would be nice, so a type 2 cable and a Tesla Wall charger is practical.

Cobos

I've had my Model S60 now for 3,5 years and I've still got only a regular 16A 1-phase with a schuko plug at home so charge at 13A. It's been a problem I think about 2 times in total since I got the car. At home you generally don't need that fast charing unless you drive 50k km each year.

I drive sometimes even few days in a row to capital Prague which is 2x120km away and at 160km/h on freeway it made a borrowed MS 90D battery empty (20%). I do not yet have experience how easy it will be to keep MS connected to some 11kW destination charger while parking in Prague. Still I agree 11kW 3x16A (but not less) should be enough for a full charge overnight for next day. But then there is also the convenience (not just its higher power) plugging in HPWC you talk about.