TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Home WiFi

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mknac, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

When I get my Model S do I give the car access to my WiFi for updates etc or does it just do its thing using the LTE connection?

2. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Wifi is typically preferred ... but it depends on the quality of your wifi and your internet vs LTE in your garage.

Used to be that Tesla would only send updates over wifi - at least reportedly - but that appears to no longer be the case.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

either way, the updates will come over the LTE connection if your wifi is not enabled

4. BertL

BertL Active Member

OP, congrats on your soon-to-be new MS. This recent post in another thread may help explain most of the pros and cons from my POV.

5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Just be aware the our Teslas only connect via the older 2.4Ghz 802.11n, not the newer 5.0Ghz 802.11ac. Astounding to me since our 2015 P85D is otherwise state-of-the-art. Frustrating since I had to add a 2.4Ghz "n" speed access point to our 100% 5.0Ghz ac speed house.

I'm hoping Tesla will offer a 4GLTE upgrade that also offers 5.0Ghz "ac" WiFi... which will make the $500 upgrade worth it to me. In the interim we're living with 3G.

6. Mknac

Mknac Member

Thx everyone!!