Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homecoming parades with a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
Anybody ever do a homecoming parade with the Roadster? Usually they use convertibles for the homecoming court with them sitting on the trunk area and feet in the back seat. Can something like this be done in a Roadster? Can they sit on the CF roll bar? I was also wondering if pulling out the passenger seat might work for a flat area for them to stand on and maybe lean back on the roll bar. The school is trying to do the parade with EVs and I have been asked to participate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sitting on the roll bar shouldn't be a problem; it's designed to "take" over 2700 lbs in the event of a rollover (the weight of the Roadster sans occupants is 2690 lbs. IIRC).

Just having them lean on it would be the safer solution if both of them can comfortably stand in the passenger area (once you remove the seat).

I took the Tesla in the 4th of July Parade and it did well and gathered LOTS of positive comments.
2011_Parade.JPG
. I now have an updated version of the static vinyl signs for the door that are approved by Plug-In America. I can get you some of those for $35 plus shipping if you want. The CF roll bar will easily handle any homecoming queen.

I was also wondering if pulling out the passenger seat might work for a flat area for them to stand on and maybe lean back on the roll bar.
This may not be feasible. In the 2008 model, the hand brake is mounted to the frame of the passenger's seat since there is no room for extra structure between the seats. That is one reason the position of the passenger's seat is not adjustable. I don't know if the arrangement is the same on later models, but I suspect so.

Yes, after looking at the seat, it sure looked difficult to remove so I am not going to try that. I think we settled on the girl in the center sitting on the rollbar and the guy standing in the passenger seat toward the outside. It seemed to work at least when we were stationary. The parade isn't until the 21st.

I am quite confident that one could sit on the roll bar. There is an interesting picture on exoticwrecks.com that shows(http://www.wreckedexotics.com/tesla/tesla_20091020_001.shtml) a Volvo SUV that landed ontop of a Roadster. I was told the driver walked away. If it can support a 5000lb SUV I think it would easily support any homecoming queen.

Also another option for parades are vinyl cling decales.
Tesla_25.JPG
I have a newer version that is supported by Plug-in America.

Last edited: