Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink — Change Transmit Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tested the auto-close function again and can confirm that after you open your door, and then engage Reverse, the HomeLink button updates with a "Will close in 20 ft", or something to that effect. I have always seen 20 ft, so will be interested in what you see when you try it. If you see the same 20 ft, then it would seem to be a relative position based on where you were when you engaged reverse. If it is some other number, then it is from some absolute location, presumably from the "reset location" setting...
Yeah, mine doesn’t work at all.... Tried it twice... No chime, no pop up, no countdown. Works fine for approach/opening. Chimes, counts down, weird. And I already reset the location when inside.

I’ll have to reboot and see if that helps. Obviously not HL in general, as it works when I came back both times. Hm....

Yeah, mine doesn’t work at all.... Tried it twice... No chime, no pop up, no countdown. Works fine for approach/opening. Chimes, counts down, weird. And I already reset the location when inside.
Are you saying that after you open your garage, and you engage reverse, NOTHING happens? That used to happen to me until I used the "reset location" function. Now, when I engage reverse, the HomeLink button has a "Auto-Close in 20 ft" verbiage and counts down as I reverse out of my garage until it reaches 0, whereupon I see it transmit and the door closes. But you say it works correctly when you come home? Weird...

As far as 17.42 fixing HomeLink, my system is still working fine this morning, despite an overnight sleep. It has consistently failed to work every morning since the previous update so this last update seems to have made a difference . And it's working very precisely with no lags or delays, unlike the previous versions. So, while its just one data point, I feel good that the HomeLink issue has been resolved.

Tried it again, reset the MCU. Nothing. When the ‘close on leaving’ box is checked, the HL drop down appears with the location name (Garage) but no chime, countdown, action, anything. All of that works fine for arriving, of course.

No idea what else to try. And I don’t recall this ever working for leaving as described even on the original 17.36 for me. This is coming in head first and backing out also, no special circs like backing in. Of course that shouldn’t matter as it’s not even trying to transmit.

Homelink manual operation now works for me on 2017.42. I haven’t used any auto open or closing so can’t comment on that (from prior usage I learned to avoid it for safety). Everything perfect for two hours and then spouse took on a drive to kids event and it threw an air suspension failure alert and warning to contact service. Reboots don’t fix it. Guess I’ll move on to another thread now. :confused:

Homelink manual operation now works for me on 2017.42. I haven’t used any auto open or closing so can’t comment on that (from prior usage I learned to avoid it for safety). Everything perfect for two hours and then spouse took on a drive to kids event and it threw an air suspension failure alert and warning to contact service. Reboots don’t fix it. Guess I’ll move on to another thread now. :confused:
Remember to try power off totally? And be sure to have the app ready to power it back up? That cleared my Steering alert. If you meant screen reboots, that’s an option. (I meant, if all you’d tried was screen reboots, you probably need to shut the car down for 3-4 minutes and then power it back on. That’s what Tesla had me do last time. It didn’t work then but it did this time.)

Last edited:
Hi All...
Just got my MS85D back from TS after a nasty windshield road debris bashing.
My Homelink is no longer working with my Genie Pro opener on any of 3 doors.
I was able to setup Homelink with the loaner X100D they gave me. Never had a problem before with Homelink.

I tried standard and default programming modes - neither works anymore with the MS..
Don't recall last version of software where it worked (always updated) but currently on 12.48 latest as of last night (easy entry/chill/SC power)...

Standard mode seems to be easier - you just point the remote at the car and it is suppose to learn the remote code after a few button presses. But in my case never seems to acknowledge learning - never flashes car lights - screen message never times out.

Default mode makes it dumber and less convenient - it is suppose to act like a regular remote regards programming. Climb up ladder - press the learn button on opener head - red fast flash - press the remote stops flashing - press the remote and it closes the door.

Even though "default mode" didn't work. It does exhibit some interesting observations. You press the learn button on opener head - red LED flashes fast. You run over to the car and press continue - interestingly the red light goes solid (just like the remote) - then the red light goes off (just like the remote). Then you are suppose to press the Homelink icon to test - NOTHING. I can see the light on opener head going through process from car.

All the other stuff opening closing at GPS location, counting the distance before sending code to opener - little transmit signal shows burst on screen - BUT no closure...

Thought I'd share my discovery with all the others out there struggling with same and different Homelink problems.
It's not hardware in my case - it's clearly a software issue - or mismatched software to hardware issue.
Bummer things are moving backwards.... latest version of software not fixing the problem on my MS.
-gintosan

In 2011 they made some changes to the garage door openers which could lead to incompatibilities:

"The HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Kit is designed to allow compatibility between a newer Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman, or LiftMaster garage door opener fitted with a yellow antenna wire and the HomeLink system in your vehicle. These garage door openers were manufactured in 2011 or later. If your opener does not have a yellow antenna wire or is not one of the brands listed above, please consider purchasing a Universal Receiver to ensure compatibility."

I don't have this problem since both the car and my garage door opener are newer than 2011 but I'm guessing that the option on the Tesla menu is to improve compatibility with earlier garage door openers. If yours is older than 2011, it might be good to try that option.

Hi All...
Just got my MS85D back from TS after a nasty windshield road debris bashing.
My Homelink is no longer working with my Genie Pro opener on any of 3 doors.
I was able to setup Homelink with the loaner X100D they gave me. Never had a problem before with Homelink.

I tried standard and default programming modes - neither works anymore with the MS..
Don't recall last version of software where it worked (always updated) but currently on 12.48 latest as of last night (easy entry/chill/SC power)...

Standard mode seems to be easier - you just point the remote at the car and it is suppose to learn the remote code after a few button presses. But in my case never seems to acknowledge learning - never flashes car lights - screen message never times out.

Default mode makes it dumber and less convenient - it is suppose to act like a regular remote regards programming. Climb up ladder - press the learn button on opener head - red fast flash - press the remote stops flashing - press the remote and it closes the door.

Even though "default mode" didn't work. It does exhibit some interesting observations. You press the learn button on opener head - red LED flashes fast. You run over to the car and press continue - interestingly the red light goes solid (just like the remote) - then the red light goes off (just like the remote). Then you are suppose to press the Homelink icon to test - NOTHING. I can see the light on opener head going through process from car.

All the other stuff opening closing at GPS location, counting the distance before sending code to opener - little transmit signal shows burst on screen - BUT no closure...

Thought I'd share my discovery with all the others out there struggling with same and different Homelink problems.
It's not hardware in my case - it's clearly a software issue - or mismatched software to hardware issue.
Bummer things are moving backwards.... latest version of software not fixing the problem on my MS.
-gintosan
Pretty sure all the homelink issues were resolved by 12.44.
Plus they were not issues with programming. Issue was with not being able to open doors intermittently which either required a restart of the 17” screen or using the workaround of getting into the program mode and then canceling.
Not familiar with your genie set up, however you mentioned that you set up your loaner vehicle. I suspect you’re maxed out on the number of remotes programmed to your opener. And somehow during the repair process your MS85D lost it’s programming.
At least on Chamberlain openers there’s a limit to how many devices you can set up & no way to delete any of the remotes that you have set up individually. So, I suggest that you follow procedures for clearing all remotes. Then add them all back in one at a time including your MS85D. This will effectively delete any unused remotes. It’s a pain, I know...
Again this is the procedure for Chamberlain.
Perhaps this does not apply to your system.
Hope this works for you.

Last edited:
On 2018.32.4 040c866 and Homelink stopped working. Tried deleting and doing the fob/headlights reprogramming procedure and lights won't flash, nothing works. Tried to the left of the T, inside the frunk and also tried the other mode (not standard) but not sure what's meant to be done programming wise in that mode! At a loss?

UPDATE: Managed to re-program the fob to the point where the headlights flash in "standard mode" but the car is not interested in opening the barrier.

I deleted the "standard mode" profile and tried "universal receiver" but have not much of a clue what to do in that mode, so ended up deleting that profile then re-programming "standard mode" again but still, the car isn't interested in opening the barrier...