Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink — Change Transmit Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, If I wasn’t more clear, issue seems consistently 2017.34 and up but random on vehicles effected.
Sure, but it worked for everyone on all hardware before that. Mine worked also. The only change is the firmware. And it consistently shows that the car isn’t transmitting. Nothing to do with the receiving hardware. Maybe not all cars are affected but that’s nothing to do with the radio receivers.

This is a one way device. The car transmits to the door opener’s radio receiver. There is no two way communication or feedback mechanism. Unfortunately.

Sure, but it worked for everyone on all hardware before that. Mine worked also. The only change is the firmware. And it consistently shows that the car isn’t transmitting. Nothing to do with the receiving hardware. Maybe not all cars are affected but that’s nothing to do with the radio receivers.

This is a one way device. The car transmits to the door opener’s radio receiver. There is no two way communication or feedback mechanism. Unfortunately.
Fair enough.
In any case I can confirm that I am now experiencing the issue consistently after updating to 2017.40 yesterday. Power off and on again fixes it until the next trip.

In the other thread, it appears turning Energy Saver Mode OFF seems to prevent it from happening. I was able to verify that on my car this morning, but am not willing to accept the extra vampire drain from not sleeping, so will try the other solution mentioned there as well, which is to go into the Program mode for that HomeLink but immediately cancel out. That is supposed to make it work again. I will try that tomorrow morning, with my Energy Saver Mode enabled....

In the other thread, it appears turning Energy Saver Mode OFF seems to prevent it from happening. I was able to verify that on my car this morning, but am not willing to accept the extra vampire drain from not sleeping, so will try the other solution mentioned there as well, which is to go into the Program mode for that HomeLink but immediately cancel out. That is supposed to make it work again. I will try that tomorrow morning, with my Energy Saver Mode enabled....
Entering Program mode for HomeLink and immediately canceling out sounds like the speediest temporary workaround. Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a try.
It’s odd. I can go out for an hour or two and it doesn’t work upon my return. Yet I leave the it on the charger over night and it works fine in the morning.
I wonder if the auto open on approach is triggering the issue.
I called Tesla last night. They said they thought 2017.40 was going to fix it and that 2017.41 was likely a beta test.
He told me it was going to escalate my issue and see if the software fix could be pushed to my car.
Also said someone would get back to me.
Seems like it would be a good idea for everybody with this issue to call to report it. Perhaps it might get resolved faster.

It’s odd. I can go out for an hour or two and it doesn’t work upon my return. Yet I leave the it on the charger over night and it works fine in the morning.
Do you have any monitoring sw polling your car that can stop it from sleeping? If not, it kinda makes sense. When you are out and parked for a bit, your car could sleep and HomeLink stops working. At home, since you leave it on charger, the car never sleeps. I have the opposite scenario. I have TeslaFi monitoring my car, so when it wakes up, it generally doesn't sleep for a couple of hours when I am out and about. But at night, it falls into sleep mode since I normally don't have it plugged in and charging and TeslaFi stops polling.

Do you have any monitoring sw polling your car that can stop it from sleeping? If not, it kinda makes sense. When you are out and parked for a bit, your car could sleep and HomeLink stops working. At home, since you leave it on charger, the car never sleeps. I have the opposite scenario. I have TeslaFi monitoring my car, so when it wakes up, it generally doesn't sleep for a couple of hours when I am out and about. But at night, it falls into sleep mode since I normally don't have it plugged in and charging and TeslaFi stops polling.
No polling software just Teslas app. Range mode off.
But I was out for a couple hours this morning and it worked when I got back home it worked. So it’s probably monitoring my posts on this site just so we can make me a liar.

Reactions: boaterva
On the loaner I have, Energy Saver is off and Always Connected is on (unlike my own car which runs with the TeslaFi settings of the opposite so it can sleep). And I know the loaner has failed once or twice. I'm not sure energy settings are the trick, unless we can reproduce them, and, of course, this all worked fine a few revs ago (17.32?).

Gets to the point it's so complex, you touch it, you break something (like Windows, lol...).

Hi folks, I have new Model X and a Classic Model S. Like others, I have big problems with the Homelink functionality on the new Model X and with recent software revisions through 2017.38.4 (but no problems on trusty Model S). I believe the problem may be due to new Homelink hardware revisions since at some point, the Homelink hardware has changed and in new versions (I have all new hardware revision for other stuff on Model X like AP2.5, etc.), there is a now an option to “Change Transmit Mode” with a warning that if you change the mode, it clears all programming. The choices are only “Standard” and “Default Receiver.” What the heck are these and has anyone tried to change to other transmit mode to fix Homelink problems? There is absolutely no mention of this transmit mode setting that I can find in the literature. The issues with Homelink are not related to rolling-code vs dumb receiver, since I have issues with both on the MX. I have issued in-car bug reports. Thanks!
I have a car with only autopilot 2 and the Homelink also stopped working on the latest update. 17.40.1.

..so will try the other solution mentioned there as well, which is to go into the Program mode for that HomeLink but immediately cancel out. That is supposed to make it work again. I will try that tomorrow morning, with my Energy Saver Mode enabled....
After a night of the car sleeping, I can indeed confirm that HomeLink invariably stops working (or is very slow to wake up), but that entering Program mode for that device and immediately cancelling out does reset it to a functioning mode. This would appear to be the simplest workaround till Tesla can fix it. In my case, it only appears to happen first thing in the morning and once working, it works the rest of the day.

Having said that, I do notice in the new sw that there seems to be more lag in the system. For example, sometimes when I 'press' the button, I see the transmit signal indication, but it may be a few seconds before the door actually responds. And I have seen a few times when it did not respond at all, despite seeing the transmit signal. And this is sitting in the garage, not approaching from further away.Tesla definitely needs to do some more work on HomeLink....

After a night of the car sleeping, I can indeed confirm that HomeLink invariably stops working (or is very slow to wake up), but that entering Program mode for that device and immediately cancelling out does reset it to a functioning mode. This would appear to be the simplest workaround till Tesla can fix it. In my case, it only appears to happen first thing in the morning and once working, it works the rest of the day.

Having said that, I do notice in the new sw that there seems to be more lag in the system. For example, sometimes when I 'press' the button, I see the transmit signal indication, but it may be a few seconds before the door actually responds. And I have seen a few times when it did not respond at all, despite seeing the transmit signal. And this is sitting in the garage, not approaching from further away.Tesla definitely needs to do some more work on HomeLink....
Right, I've noted the delay also. With 17.42 which seems to have fixed the previous issues we all had, I've turned off "auto-close on leave" since it takes too long to close, and I can't sit in the street and wait for it, and there is no adjustment for it. So, I'll hit the button by hand. Once or twice, I think I collided with it, as the door stopped (got two signals at the same time). Arg...

I think we need the distance setting for departure, also!

Right, I've noted the delay also. With 17.42 which seems to have fixed the previous issues we all had,
I took the 17.42 update this morning, and so far it's been working ok, but an overnight test will tell. I DO notice that the transmit delay appears to be gone and it appears more responsive.

I think we need the distance setting for departure, also!
I wonder if this has to do with where it thinks your Home is. There is a 'reset location' setting in the HomeLink setting, and I believe THAT determines where it starts to open or close your door, NOT the setting in your Navigation Home location. Try resetting that while sitting in your garage....

I took the 17.42 update this morning, and so far it's been working ok, but an overnight test will tell. I DO notice that the transmit delay appears to be gone and it appears more responsive.

I wonder if this has to do with where it thinks your Home is. There is a 'reset location' setting in the HomeLink setting, and I believe THAT determines where it starts to open or close your door, NOT the setting in your Navigation Home location. Try resetting that while sitting in your garage....
Yeah, I have done that. I've done it sitting outside, as you're 'supposed' to (which I never understood and never seemed to matter in setting up Homelink). Let me do it inside, as I did originally. That might cut down on the distance and have it close at the end of the driveway (it's not that long, two car lengths or something) before we get into the street and wait for it to do something and block traffic. :D

And you are definitely correct, it's GPS by that 'setting', nothing to do with other navigational waypoints. Note that open on arrival works perfectly. And I've not changed the default distance setting that we can now change. I still think we need that to be adjustable also. Wonder what the rationale was on not doing both?

And you are definitely correct, it's GPS by that 'setting', nothing to do with other navigational waypoints. Note that open on arrival works perfectly. And I've not changed the default distance setting that we can now change. I still think we need that to be adjustable also. Wonder what the rationale was on not doing both?

I had disabled it when the flakiness started to happen in HomeLink, but when I used it, I seem to recall after I opened the door and then put the car in Reverse, only then would HomeLink say "Door will close in 20'' or something. So maybe for exiting your garage, it sets it for 20' from your CURRENT location once you have opened your door and engaged reverse, (or drive). That would make the most sense....

I had disabled it when the flakiness started to happen in HomeLink, but when I used it, I seem to recall after I opened the door and then put the car in Reverse, only then would HomeLink say "Door will close in 20'' or something. So maybe for exiting your garage, it sets it for 20' from your CURRENT location once you have opened your door and engaged reverse, (or drive). That would make the most sense....
Hm, let me change 'home' to inside the garage, and then watch more carefully. It may have such a long timer it's a pain to wait for it. Unlike 'approach opening', you want to be sure the door is actually closed before you drive out of sight....

Unlike 'approach opening', you want to be sure the door is actually closed before you drive out of sight....
I just tested the auto-close function again and can confirm that after you open your door, and then engage Reverse, the HomeLink button updates with a "Will close in 20 ft", or something to that effect. I have always seen 20 ft, so will be interested in what you see when you try it. If you see the same 20 ft, then it would seem to be a relative position based on where you were when you engaged reverse. If it is some other number, then it is from some absolute location, presumably from the "reset location" setting...

Same here on both (new FW and lower lag). Let’s see what happens in morning.

(Off-topic, but why didn’t we get the low-speed folding mirror feature?)