Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink and Alarm.com Puzzle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a garage door sensor connected to my alarm system. We normally turn the alarm system on everytime we leave and have to turn it back off when we come home. With the homelink system if I setup the garage door to open when the X gets close to home it will trigger the alarm. Been thinking about how to get the alarm to be turned off prior to the garage door being opened. Has anyone solved this puzzle?

I have a garage door sensor connected to my alarm system. We normally turn the alarm system on everytime we leave and have to turn it back off when we come home. With the homelink system if I setup the garage door to open when the X gets close to home it will trigger the alarm. Been thinking about how to get the alarm to be turned off prior to the garage door being opened. Has anyone solved this puzzle?
I also have my garage door opener connected to the ADC monitored alarm system. But that doesn't trigger the alarm itself. Garage door is usually not configured as perimeter for the purpose of the alarm.

At my house, the car opens the garage and we disarm the alarm from the ADC app.

I also have my garage door opener connected to the ADC monitored alarm system. But that doesn't trigger the alarm itself. Garage door is usually not configured as perimeter for the purpose of the alarm.

At my house, the car opens the garage and we disarm the alarm from the ADC app.

I have it setup as a perimeter as it is an easy access point and we live in a relatively secluded area in a new community. If geo fence does not work then I will surely explore this option which btw did not even cross my mind before :) Thank you.

According to their site you can create a Geo-Fence with actions based on your phones location, why not set an action to shutoff the alarm when you get within a certain radious of the house?

How to Create Your First Geo-Services Alert
I considered setting up my alarm system with a geofence. Decided not to as it would allow someone who found/stole my phone to go to my house and have the alarm automatically turned off for them as they break in to rob it.

We have the same setup as you with the sensor on the garages. Just use the alarm.com app to disarm before you get too close to the house OR set a longer trigger delay and disable it on the panel when you get in the house. We have a 90 second delay but that means hurrying in so the app works best for us.

We have the same setup as you with the sensor on the garages. Just use the alarm.com app to disarm before you get too close to the house OR set a longer trigger delay and disable it on the panel when you get in the house. We have a 90 second delay but that means hurrying in so the app works best for us.

That's what we do today. With two people in the car the passenger disarms prior to getting to the house but with one driver, typically we sit in our driveway watching the ADC app spin for a while before disarming. Yes the keychain button can work faster but both of ours have broken loops so they don't fit in the key chains anymore :(

Just exploring if there is a more elegant automated way to do it without compromising security.

That's what we do today. With two people in the car the passenger disarms prior to getting to the house but with one driver, typically we sit in our driveway watching the ADC app spin for a while before disarming. Yes the keychain button can work faster but both of ours have broken loops so they don't fit in the key chains anymore :(

Just exploring if there is a more elegant automated way to do it without compromising security.

Yes so true. We fire up the app before we get too close to the house and have got used to doing that. That spinning is your phone trying to connect (or disconnect if you're leaving) to your wifi. Keyfob works but it doesn't give instant feedback and as you point out, it's something else to carry.
I was able to bookmark alarm.com on theTesla browser and you can do it that way but it's so slooooooow.

That's what Sugru is for. Fix your keychain loops and get back to living.

I took a different path on this. My problem is forgetting to shut the alarm off even before the auto open feature was active in the Model S. In addition, people have always been telling me that bad guys are able to hack the signal from your garage door opener and get into your garage and to a quick grab even if the alarm goes off. My alarm also controls Z-Wave devices so I replaced the receptacle where the garage door motor plugs in to a Z-Wave device. Now when my alarm is armed, the power is disabled to the motor and the door cannot open. I turn off the alarm with its remote just before I get in range of the auto open signal from the car. If I forget, no problem, the door will not open and all I have to do is turn off the alarm and then touch the homelink control on the touchscreen to open it manually. Works for me

My alarm also controls Z-Wave devices so I replaced the receptacle where the garage door motor plugs in to a Z-Wave device. Now when my alarm is armed, the power is disabled to the motor and the door cannot open. I turn off the alarm with its remote just before I get in range of the auto open signal from the car. If I forget, no problem, the door will not open and all I have to do is turn off the alarm and then touch the homelink control on the touchscreen to open it manually. Works for me

I thought about your approach long and hard and I really like it. Now need to call my alarm company to see if my setup will support the Z wave device.

Here is another person's solution as well

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9-using-homelink-only-arm-my-house-alarm.html