TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Homelink and Liftmaster 8500

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Local host, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Local host

Local host Member

I have a liftmaster 8500 garage door opener that I have been unable to set up with homelink. No issues with my wife's rear view mirror mounted homelink on her ICE.

My X will receive the signal and acknowledges by flashing the headlights, but then doesn't open the door after I finish programming.

I am in Canada, so not sure if there is any difference in programming steps that have to be followed.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try?

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Member

After the X receives the signal from the 8500 remote you then have to go to either the wall mounted button or get on a ladder and press the learn button to finish the programming.

• Like x 2
  3. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

I agree: it is a two-step process 1) program your Tesla homelink and then 2) have your liftmaster "learn" the Tesla

4. Local host

Local host Member

Thanks for the responses. I do complete the steps and try to have the liftmaster learn my Tesla's signal, but the lift master will never acknowledge that it has learned the signal (flashes ceiling light)

5. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Have used our Liftmaster 8500 with three Tesla MS's; no problems with any of the programming. Perhaps you need a new battery in your remote? Try that and see if it helps the programming perhaps.

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

#6 vandacca, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong during the programming of my Homelink in my Tesla, but after I programmed it, all of my remotes needed to be re-paired to my garage opener. That included my 2 car remotes and the wireless keypad outside of my garage.

Reprogramming meant that I had to get on a stool and press the yellow button on the drive-motor that is hanging off my ceiling and then pressing the remote button. Repeat for every remote.

7. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

If you hold down the "Learn" button on your Liftmaster for too long, it erases all known codes... hence the requirement for reprogramming

• Helpful x 1
  8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

You know, that's exactly what I think happened. Thanks!

9. rcsting

rcsting Member

I had an issue when programming my Liftmaster to my Tesla. I was able to successfully program my Tesla but it then would not recognize my Toyota. I then had to relearn my Toyota but now my remote doesn't work. I'll try to relearn my remote, I've never had this issue before.

10. phatteus

phatteus Member

I have the same 8500 unit and have not been able to get it to program. The car learns the remote, I put the 8500 into learn mode and that's as far as I get. I've tried it many times until I just gave up.

11. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

I have found that my 2015 Model S only operates the gate and door opener if the nose of the Model S is pointing towards them. If the rear of the car is facing the gates or garage door, the signal from the Model S will not propagate through the car and reach the openers.

I have three Liftmaster Gate Openers and two 8500s. Spent an awful long time programming and reprogramming to get the GPS location enabled opening to work right until I figured out the orientation of the car mattered.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Two 8500s here and no prob on a 2014 S and a 2016 X. Move the cars closer to the openers. Make sure the antenna is out and in a good position.

13. Local host

Local host Member

Thanks. Will try this.

14. RossRAllen

RossRAllen Member

I had to press the Learn button in my gate controller but not on my Liftmaster garage door. Operating the gate is unreliable with the X facing away from the gate, about 60' away, and in the garage. I often have to back out or use the controller I keep with my fob.

All other Homelink fobs continue to work both gate and door.

15. ernie

ernie Member

I have a 8500 and had reception problems after programing Tesla. Added the optional external antenna kit ($27) to opener and solved the problem.

• Informative x 1
  16. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

While some or most garage door openers provide as much a 3 minutes to complete the two way info exchange with the Model x, the newest Genies allow only 30 seconds. This requires TWO people to do the set up: one at the opener and the other in the car. They must coordinate and complete all steps very quickly. This may be happening with the Liftmaster.

17. Local host

Local host Member

I may have to try the external antenna. I tried parking as close as possible and still wasn't able to get it working.

18. GordonBremer

GordonBremer Member

Back to localhost: see my comment above yours (Sunday, 6:55 PM). The Homelink slowly got worse and worse over weeks until I also added antenna. THAT DID NOT HELP. I finally cancelled both door settings and started over, programing both of our doors as I noted above. That did it. It worked better than ever.