Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink and Liftmaster 8500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a liftmaster 8500 garage door opener that I have been unable to set up with homelink. No issues with my wife's rear view mirror mounted homelink on her ICE.

My X will receive the signal and acknowledges by flashing the headlights, but then doesn't open the door after I finish programming.

I am in Canada, so not sure if there is any difference in programming steps that have to be followed.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try?

Thanks for the responses. I do complete the steps and try to have the liftmaster learn my Tesla's signal, but the lift master will never acknowledge that it has learned the signal (flashes ceiling light)

I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong during the programming of my Homelink in my Tesla, but after I programmed it, all of my remotes needed to be re-paired to my garage opener. That included my 2 car remotes and the wireless keypad outside of my garage.

Reprogramming meant that I had to get on a stool and press the yellow button on the drive-motor that is hanging off my ceiling and then pressing the remote button. Repeat for every remote.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong during the programming of my Homelink in my Tesla, but after I programmed it, all of my remotes need to be re-paired to my garage opener. That included my 2 car remotes and the wireless keypad outside of my garage.

If you hold down the "Learn" button on your Liftmaster for too long, it erases all known codes... hence the requirement for reprogramming

I had an issue when programming my Liftmaster to my Tesla. I was able to successfully program my Tesla but it then would not recognize my Toyota. I then had to relearn my Toyota but now my remote doesn't work. I'll try to relearn my remote, I've never had this issue before.

I have a liftmaster 8500 garage door opener that I have been unable to set up with homelink. No issues with my wife's rear view mirror mounted homelink on her ICE.

My X will receive the signal and acknowledges by flashing the headlights, but then doesn't open the door after I finish programming.

I am in Canada, so not sure if there is any difference in programming steps that have to be followed.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try?

I have the same 8500 unit and have not been able to get it to program. The car learns the remote, I put the 8500 into learn mode and that's as far as I get. I've tried it many times until I just gave up.

I have found that my 2015 Model S only operates the gate and door opener if the nose of the Model S is pointing towards them. If the rear of the car is facing the gates or garage door, the signal from the Model S will not propagate through the car and reach the openers.

I have three Liftmaster Gate Openers and two 8500s. Spent an awful long time programming and reprogramming to get the GPS location enabled opening to work right until I figured out the orientation of the car mattered.

I have found that my 2015 Model S only operates the gate and door opener if the nose of the Model S is pointing towards them. If the rear of the car is facing the gates or garage door, the signal from the Model S will not propagate through the car and reach the openers.

I have three Liftmaster Gate Openers and two 8500s. Spent an awful long time programming and reprogramming to get the GPS location enabled opening to work right until I figured out the orientation of the car mattered.

Thanks. Will try this.

I had to press the Learn button in my gate controller but not on my Liftmaster garage door. Operating the gate is unreliable with the X facing away from the gate, about 60' away, and in the garage. I often have to back out or use the controller I keep with my fob.

All other Homelink fobs continue to work both gate and door.

While some or most garage door openers provide as much a 3 minutes to complete the two way info exchange with the Model x, the newest Genies allow only 30 seconds. This requires TWO people to do the set up: one at the opener and the other in the car. They must coordinate and complete all steps very quickly. This may be happening with the Liftmaster.

Back to localhost: see my comment above yours (Sunday, 6:55 PM). The Homelink slowly got worse and worse over weeks until I also added antenna. THAT DID NOT HELP. I finally cancelled both door settings and started over, programing both of our doors as I noted above. That did it. It worked better than ever.

Have used our Liftmaster 8500 with three Tesla MS's; no problems with any of the programming. Perhaps you need a new battery in your remote? Try that and see if it helps the programming perhaps.

Would you describe the programming sequence you used?

I have 2017 Model S and a new 8500.

I follow the instructions, car learns the remote and I press the learn button (2x to put it in learn mode) then complete the steps in the car. but it doesn’t work as someone else mentioned.

Same problem for me as well. Two 8500's and neither will work. Model X shows both and flashes lights but no go. This started happening with an update a couple of months ago (when the Slacker also started having issues). Also had the problem that it would erase all the codes for the other remotes but that could have been me pushing the "learn" button for to long.. Finally just gave up and using transmitter that came with the openers. Never had a problem programming homelink on any other vehicle I have owned.