Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Australia questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's totally worth it for the convenience of not having a remote bouncing around in the cars, and the garage doors auto open and close when coming and going.
With model S I’ve found the homelink is too far to reach and the seatbelt holds me back. With a choice of doors and a gate I cannot to auto raise. A very effective solution for the remote was to velcro it to the windsreen next to the camera. Very easy to reach.

I have my remote sitting at the front of the centre console next to my phone. It is so easy to just pick it up as I am approaching my home and press it so that the door is open as I pull into the drive. I usually hang on to it so I can close the door as soon as I'm parked in the garage.

One of the problems I have with my garage door is that it sometimes sticks when closing (maybe 1 in 50 times) and then opens itself again. So being able to manually press the remote to stop it reopening and then close it again is a bonus. I doubt whether the Homelink system would do that for me.

Here is the MCW SR+ solution with app/Google Assistant Voice capability for $46

1645679129991.png

Reactions: moa999
One of the problems I have with my garage door is that it sometimes sticks when closing (maybe 1 in 50 times) and then opens itself again. So being able to manually press the remote to stop it reopening and then close it again is a bonus. I doubt whether the Homelink system would do that for me.
Check the wheels are lubed and clean. Also it might be the bottom limit isn't set right.

About Homelink, the transmitter is quite powerful, you can change the geo boundary of when it triggers but it can trigger from quite a distance.

I have my remote sitting at the front of the centre console next to my phone. It is so easy to just pick it up as I am approaching my home and press it so that the door is open as I pull into the drive. I usually hang on to it so I can close the door as soon as I'm parked in the garage.

Sounds like your door balance might be out and a small breeze makes the door heavier. Place it in manual over-ride and if you cannot lift it easily or if it flies up unassisted then you need to call out a door guy to adjust the spring. Spring adjusting is not a job anyone should do unless they know what they are doing. In manual mode you should be able to raise and lower the door with near equal effort in each direction (roller doors and tilt doors).
I ignored mine doing the same thing and last wek it just gave up and sheered a gear

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Sounds like your door balance might be out and a small breeze makes the door heavier. Place it in manual over-ride and if you cannot lift it easily or if it flies up unassisted then you need to call out a door guy to adjust the spring. Spring adjusting is not a job anyone should do unless they know what they are doing. In manual mode you should be able to raise and lower the door with near equal effort in each direction (roller doors and tilt doors).
I ignored mine doing the same thing and last wek it just gave up and sheered a gear
The few times I've opened the door manually (when we've had a power outage before I got the powerwall) it has been easy to open and close.

As I said, it hasn't happened in ages.

Reactions: paulp
I have a Tailwind. Auto open on approach and auto close for any car with Bluetooth and an Android phone. No buttons needed. It works by detecting the specific bluetooth connection between your phone and your car rather than BLE or anything.

If you have an Apple, you need to use a tailwind tile which achieves the same effect.

Works with my hass.io, alexa, smartthings, google etc. Really happy with it! You can remotely close or open and check status. It's sold by one guy and is a very small company. He provides the support himself. So no big company privacy issues.

It says it isn't compatible with rollerdoors (that roll into a coil) but i just got creative with a bracket and a straight, flat neodymium magnet stuck straight on the door for the magnet side of the magnet switch. Works a treat.

You also need to hardwire it into your existing door opening mechanism, but i got it up and running super easily with some basic wiring.

You have to do the same with many Aus garage doors anyway as they don't natively support Homelink.
Interestingly, one of the brands that does reportedly work natively with Homelink is Merlin/Chamberlain. So, you can set a Merlin door to toggle its open/close state as the car approaches or leaves. However, my understanding is that it doesn't read the current position, so if you drive onto your driveway while the door is open, then the garage door will close automatically.

Even more interestingly, the Merlin brand's own wifi adapter (MyQ) does read the garage door state. Theoretically, you could use the phone's GPS location to automatically trigger garage door opening & closing, and avoid the problem I've mentioned above. So, if you drive into the driveway & the door is already open, MyQ knows this & won't toggle the garage door into a closed position. However, Merlin have made some sort of decision in Australia not to allow MyQ to link with Apple Homekit, so this GPS activation isn't available. All that we can do is use the substandard Homelink system (which I don't have myself).