Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink auto close does not work

Walrus

Oct 31, 2021
California
I just entered a mobile service request with the following: Auto open/close functionality for home link Garage door mobile service install 10/26 is not working. Maybe the reason is Homelink is a blind toggle interface - communication is one direction only, and there aren't separate open and close signals, only a change state. So if the last auto signal was a open and then used house button to close door then if I used car manual button to open it the logic thinks that is closed and therefore will not auto close. If I don’t mix and match house button and car button the auto feature has always worked.

Gauss Guzzler

Safety Score = 7
Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
There is no toggle and it doesn't know/care what state it's in. It simply moves the door the other way each time it's triggered. There is no logic in the car or anywhere else remembering the state of the door so it doesn't matter what other remotes you use.

The car automatically triggers homelink when:
- A new drive cycle is started within the home radius, and then exits that radius.
- The car enters that radius from afar.

If the door doesn't move when you press the button on the screen you might have somehow lost the pairing in which case it will walk you thru the reprogramming steps of pressing the yellow button on your opener.
If you don't get the popup and ding when driving off it's not detecting a new drive cycle (or it's not set to auto close). This can happen if you don't park in a normal place for a normal period of time (e.g. return home and leave the car in the driveway briefly before leaving again).
If it dings but the door doesn't close, you might be too far away - try reducing the setting to 20ft or so.

Reactions: robussc

Walrus

Oct 31, 2021
California
I was confused suggesting the problem was related to the house vs car opening mechanism. After reproducing the auto-close problem consistently it was related to point 9 in HomeLink Analysis and Troubleshooting – TeslaTap.

“9. Works opening the door but not reliable auto-closing the door

Is there any chance you stopped the vehicle before the close signal was sent? As a safety measure, if you stop your car while backing out, but before the close-door signal is sent, the auto-close is terminated and you’ll have to manually tap the HomeLink button to close the door.”

To reproduce it for me in my MDY ‘21.
1) drive into garage and stop
2) put it in reverse (did not take my foot off brake)
3) put it into park
4) Went into house
5) Reentered car and backed out
6) left without homelink engaging auto-close.
7) Needed to tap home link button to close the door.

Toggle/Triggered. I understand toggle signals, but don’t understand triggered signals.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC